Roofing shingle choice

Can't you eliminate the algae by cutting down any trees shading the roof?
Yes sunlight cures algae. I got some three tab 50 mph architectural shingles in 2011. Had to ask for the copper. I would use the zinc strips myself. I still get algae if I don't keep the branches at least 8 ft away.

I had Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles installed instead on my first home build in 2017 and my current home built in 2022. No streaks on either home yet. Both homes had amish crews that hand nailed it.

I had GAF shingles that fight streaks on my first house installed on a re-roof in 2016. It's now my younger sisters house and the roof still looks great and is streak free 8 years later.

I'm currently looking for land in Delaware county, OH and my next home will have a zinc roof along with zinc gutters, zinc leader heads.. .
Like yours, next week my 21-year-old NC roof is being redone with Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles. I'm having the contractor use materials and techniques that qualify it as a "Fortified" roof.

This is my roof from 1999. Had a shower so that's the darkness. No leaks and never any shingle loss.
We got hit last year with tons of big hail. I have about 50% granule loss.

When I go to sell it soon I'll put another roof on.

They were CertainTeed too.
1000003237.jpg

IMO, here in the Midwest to get 8-10 years out of a roof is good. We get significant hail around here. We've put 2 roofs on in my 15 years of ownership.

Just my $0.02

Like yours, next week my 21-year-old NC roof is being redone with Certainteed Landmark Pro shingles. I'm having the contractor use materials and techniques that qualify it as a "Fortified" roof.
I was reading about fortified roofs. They use nails with rings to make sure plywood will never be ripped off. Then seal the plywood with tape on all seams so it's pretty waterproof even if shingles get ripped off. Then I think ice & snow over entire roof. Then shingles.

Had these and the entire GAF roof system installed a couple weeks ago. Pretty sure they will outlast me.
IMG_0723.jpg

I was reading about fortified roofs. They use nails with rings to make sure plywood will never be ripped off. Then seal the plywood with tape on all seams so it's pretty waterproof even if shingles get ripped off. Then I think ice & snow over entire roof. Then shingles.
They use ice and snow in the valleys plus Certainteed synthetic underlayment throughout, the nails are stainless steel and spaced closer together and they use better quality drip edging for the "fortified" installation. Then my homeowners insurance company allegedly will reduce my premium, which is about $4,500 a year. I considered a steel roof but opted for this instead.

Atlas brand shingles are worth a look,the storm master shingles are very good,or the regular pinnacle pristine,and you can get at Benards at a good price,along with Atlas underlayment, edge guard ,great products for your roof.

So I need to go with GAF since that is what the roofer predominantly uses and is certified. You get a better warranty if the roofer is GAF certified.

If looks like in Delaware (with little hail potential) no one uses IR or SBS manufactured shingles. The roofing supply company told me they can get them but don't carry them. And the GAF SBS shingles are roughly double the cost. Not sure why SBS are so expensive as I think all they do is to toss a few tires (rubber) in the asphalt mix.

I will bet as time goes on more and more will be SBS. All Malarkey are SBS or rubberized asphalt.

So I need to go with GAF since that is what the roofer predominantly uses and is certified. You get a better warranty if the roofer is GAF certified.

If looks like in Delaware (with little hail potential) no one uses IR or SBS manufactured shingles. The roofing supply company told me they can get them but don't carry them. And the GAF SBS shingles are roughly double the cost. Not sure why SBS are so expensive as I think all they do is to toss a few tires (rubber) in the asphalt mix.

I will bet as time goes on more and more will be SBS. All Malarkey are SBS or rubberized asphalt.
There is/was a shingle manufacturing plant in Delaware off of Governor Printz Blvd...IKO I believe.

There are certain locales where metal is frowned on because fire and rescue can’t hack their way in to a house as well through them. Had a volunteer FF share that with me. They sometimes let themselves in, or even out, through a roof.

Many roofers in my area (Cleveland) are steering away from GAF Timberline because of premature granule loss. I know several people who had issues with them.

Many roofers in my area (Cleveland) are steering away from GAF Timberline because of premature granule loss. I know several people who had issues with them.
GAF Timberline includes a few grades of shingles. Timberline HDZ and Timberline Ultra HDZ and Timberline AS II. And others. Do you know what grade? Was is just loss of granules in general or after hale?

Back