Roofing shingle choice

In Texas, I would do Owens Corning Duration Flex or CertainTeed Landmark Pro/TL or Presidential in “regular”/TL variants. OC mixed in SBS rubber to make the asphalt a bit more impact resistant. Supposedly, IKO and Atlas makes a “impact” resistant shingle in a 42” length so three bundles of shingles gives you a true square, vs. 98sqft from the other brands. Here in CA, we don’t need a Class 4/5 compliant shingle - I specified OC Duration Cool for my parent’s roofer, our roofer likes OC, they wanted to install Woodcrest, which have been on limited supply.

GAF makes a decent product, but I see them as the Behr paint of roofing, just because Home Depot carries both. And now that Home Depot is buying out SRS Supply, the #3 roofing wholesaler behind ABC Supply and Beacon, I wouldn’t doubt GAF will try to seek exclusivity with the Home Depot companies, like Masco making Behr exclusive to HD.

Roofing Insights had a comparison test of shingles.

I toured a house last week that was built in 2011 and the roof of asphalt shingles was already shot. We did have a crazy year of hail last year.
It was light blue and looked like 30 year shingles.
The house was awesome but the roof and over a 300 yards of driveway no doubt is the reason to sell. The driveway had no life left in it either. Big bucks to fix.

Back