Roofing Shingle brand advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
IKO, like the rest of the industry, changed their warranty on the Cambridge shingles to a lifetime warranty, not 25 years. All the major brand architectural shingles are now lifetime or 50 year warranties. The 30, 40, and 50 year tiers are gone, including GAF.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
After reading more we're going to go with our first companies estimate. My mom worked there 10 years ago and they treated her and their customers well. They offer a better warranty and have been around for a long time.

GAF timberline HD

So what does their quote look like? Are they using Timbertex for the ridge caps? I hate it when they just cut off a 3 tab and use that for caps, means you got a 25 year shingle on top of a lifetime shingle. Deck armor mentioned previously for the underlayment? Grace Ice & Water? And how many feet? Typically they just do 3 feet, but you should have them do 6 feet as it's 3 feet over the heated space, but if the start at the edge, then it's not 3 feet over the heated space which is why you do 6. Make sure they reflash the chimney while they're up there if you have one.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: dja4260
After reading more we're going to go with our first companies estimate. My mom worked there 10 years ago and they treated her and their customers well. They offer a better warranty and have been around for a long time.

GAF timberline HD

So what does their quote look like? Are they using Timbertex for the ridge caps? I hate it when they just cut off a 3 tab and use that for caps, means you got a 25 year shingle on top of a lifetime shingle. Deck armor mentioned previously for the underlayment? Grace Ice & Water? And how many feet? Typically they just do 3 feet, but you should have them do 6 feet as it's 3 feet over the heated space, but if the start at the edge, then it's not 3 feet over the heated space which is why you do 6. Make sure they reflash the chimney while they're up there if you have one.

Per the quote

-No less then 36'in of GAF weather watch ice & shield. Areas to apply: eaves (gutter edges), Chimneys, valleys, all protrusions, roof to wall area.

-Install manufacturer recommended GAF Pro Start Starts on all roof edges.

-Install GAF shinglemate deck protector.

-Install GAF shingle roof system.

-Install GAF timbertex distenctive Hip & ridge to all hip and ridges on roof.

-Replace OR reset existing flashing as needed.

6 nails per shingle is a $120 option. Worth it?

Last edited:
All roofs in high wind areas should be 6 nailed, we typically do it along the water.

A box of roofing nails is about $50, your paying a bit of mark up their. On a 20 sq roof your looking at a box and a half of nails, two if you six nail.

Make sure they use 1 1/2in coil nails and not 1 1/4. 1 1/4 don't always go threw everything and bite into the plywood much.

Last edited:
Weather watch isn't as good as Grace Ice & Water, but I guess you have to stick with GAF in order to keep the warranty. In that case, I would suggest using Stormguard. Also I believe it should be 36" over heated areas, areas that aren't heated shouldn't count which is why you should just ask for 6 feet. Also instead of shinglemate, just have them use deck armor, probably about the same price.

And while the nails might be an extra $50, it's a bit more labor putting in those two extra nails. Not sure how bad storms are in your area, but if you get some good ones, it might be worth it. Weather seems to be getting more and more extreme as the years go by. And if the guy is certified, make sure you read the GAF warranty and make sure the paperwork from GAF shows up after the job is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back