Ronald Reagan passed on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Article on RWR:

Respected and Beloved: The Legacy of Ronald Reagan
By Bobby Eberle
June 7, 2004

On July 15, 1979, President Jimmy Carter said in his famous "malaise" speech that he wanted to talk about "a fundamental threat to American democracy." What was this threat to which President Carter referred? Was it the Soviet Union? Was it the floundering economy? No, it was not something tangible as Carter later explained in his speech, but rather a "crisis of confidence." Thankfully, the rebirth of American confidence was just around the corner in the form of Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th President of the United States. Through his vision, determination, and compassion, Reagan came to be both respected and beloved, a combination that is indeed rare among political leaders.

In explaining the state of America and the threat facing our democracy, Carter went on to say, "The threat is nearly invisible in ordinary ways. It is a crisis of confidence. It is a crisis that strikes at the very heart and soul and spirit of our national will. We can see this crisis in the growing doubt about the meaning of our own lives and in the loss of a unity of purpose for our Nation."

"The erosion of our confidence in the future is threatening to destroy the social and the political fabric of America," Carter added.

In his speech, Carter quoted from "ordinary Americans" he had spoken with over a period of several weeks leading up to his address. Some of the comments Carter shared were from Americans saying that Carter was "not leading this Nation -- you're just managing the Government." Another person told the president, ""Don't talk to us about politics or the mechanics of government, but about an understanding of our common good."

"Mr. President, we're in trouble. Talk to us about blood and sweat and tears," a citizen told Carter. Another said, "If you lead, Mr. President, we will follow."

As President Carter so accurately described, America was suffering a crisis of confidence. Unfortunately, America was also suffering a crisis of leadership. That changed in November, 1980 when voters turned out Carter after one term and put their faith in actor turned activist turned governor turned president, Ronald Reagan.

Reagan did not come to Washington with empty rhetoric and catchy one-liners, but rather a belief in a stable of ideas from which he did not waver. From day one, President Reagan sought to implement his conservative philosophy to rein in inflation, cut taxes, and fight the spread of communism.

In 1977, the year Carter took office, the inflation rate was 6.62%. The next year it jumped to 7.59%. In 1979, the rate soared to 11.28%, and in 1980, it hit a high of 13.48%. Inflation was out of control, and through Reagan's actions, inflation declined steadily from 10.36% in 1981 to a low of 1.86% in 1986. When Reagan left office the inflation rate held steady at a little over 4%.

The election of Ronald Reagan not only symbolized a new era of leadership for America, but the real effects of that leadership were immediately felt across the world. After 444 days of captivity, the Americans held hostage in Iran were released on the very day that Reagan became president. The hostages were a stark reminder of the lack of leadership in the White House. Reagan changed that perception by sending the message that America should be respected and feared.

In addressing the threat of communism, Reagan was convinced that the Soviet Union not only represented an "evil empire" but also that it represented a threat that must be met head-on. The Cold War was a war that must be won, and President Reagan was determined to win it.

Reagan sought to rebuild America's military and force the Soviets into an arms race that they could not win. By forcing the Soviets to spend more and more on military needs, Reagan believed that their economy would implode under the unsustainable weight of the massive expenditures. The final straw was Reagan's push for a missile defense system to render Soviet ICBMs ineffective. Without the threat of mutually assured destruction if both America and the Soviet Union were to launch their nuclear arsenals, the Soviets were in a no-win situation. Through economic might, Reagan was able to win the cold war without a single shot being fired.

Reagan was also able to shape world opinion on the threat of communism and the virtues of democracy. Speaking at the Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin on June 12, 1987, Reagan called on the citizens of the communist regimes to embrace freedom and democracy.

"Behind me stands a wall that encircles the free sectors of this city, part of a vast system of barriers that divides the entire continent of Europe," Reagan said. "From the Baltic, south, those barriers cut across Germany in a gash of barbed wire, concrete, dog runs, and guard towers. Farther south, there may be no visible, no obvious wall. But there remain armed guards and checkpoints all the same -- still a restriction on the right to travel, still an instrument to impose upon ordinary men and women the will of a totalitarian state."

"Today I say: As long as this gate is closed, as long as this scar of a wall is permitted to stand, it is not the German question alone that remains open, but the question of freedom for all mankind," Reagan added. "Yet I do not come here to lament. For I find in Berlin a message of hope, even in the shadow of this wall, a message of triumph."

Reagan said at the time that in a "limited way," the Soviets "may be coming to understand the importance of freedom." President Reagan questioned whether the efforts made by the Soviet Union were "the beginnings of profound changes in the Soviet state" or "token gestures." Then, in a moment which set fire to the fuse of democratic hopes for Eastern Europe, Reagan said:

"There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Two years later, Reagan's dream became a reality as jack-hammers were shown chipping away at the wall that separated more than a city. Soviet communism was defeated, and countries that knew only oppression for so long, would soon feel the joys of freedom. Reagan accomplished what seemed an impossible task not only by flexing America's muscle and standing tough in his convictions, but also by grasping for the greater good in all people. President Reagan believed in freedom, and he knew that if the words of freedom could reach the hearts and minds of those under communist rule, freedom would prevail.

Reagan rightfully won a landslide reelection in 1984 by running on the famous "morning in America" theme. The reason he won was that America not only believed the rhetoric, they saw the results. The man who seemed to be everyone's grandfather helped lead the country out of the memories of Vietnam, Nixon's resignation, double-digit inflation, and the "crisis of confidence."

Reagan is the president I grew up with. From high school through college, he was my president, and I will remember him fondly. In particular, I will remember that Reagan possessed the rare qualities that made him both beloved and respected -- both admired and feared. My heart goes out to Nancy Reagan who through the sadness can also find a sense of peace and hope.

When Ronald Reagan announced publicly that he was battling Alzheimer's disease, he said, "When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future."

Reagan added, "I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."

Mr. President, brighter dawns do lie ahead for this great country, and as you rest in peace, please know that we will never forget how you helped lead us down that road.

---

Bobby Eberle is President and CEO of GOPUSA (www.GOPUSA.com), a news, information, and commentary company based in Houston, TX. He holds a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Rice University.

--------------------

Note -- The opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, and/or philosophy of this website.

The way i see things is not as one sided as some on this board. Reagan gave huge tax breaks to the higher income people and corporations. Heavy construction came to a stop during the 80's. The economic boom didnt benefit the middle and lower classes like it did for the rich. In a time of great "prosperity" Reagan wouldnt even support raising the minimum wage. The main gripe of PATCO was their working conditions. PATCO wanted a new computer system to replace the obsolete way they were forced to do their jobs. Wages were a small part of their strike, not the entire reason as most republican people think. The working families of this country were given a huge national deficit to pay off. The Pope had a huge part in defeating communism and he just as well took down the wall. Its not like Reagan was the only pres to butt heads with the USSR. People can praise Reagan all they want but as i see it all Reagans leagacy created was more wealth for the rich and lowering the living standards of Americas working class. Now jobs are shipped out of this counrty is record amounts. The last job report had many new jobs created including a significant amount in the manufacturing sector. Well just how long will those jobs be around before they are sent to China?

Reagan and his advisors ended inflation as we know it. This alone is what got our country out of the Carter pit. People either forget or weren't around - the country was in major stagflation episode. Home loan? 12-14%??? Reagan rallied us. I gained and finally got a foot hold under Reagan. The crap/fake stats about "rich getting richer" is mostly sour grapes. I was very poor and got richer. Is THAT the sign of a bad President? I think not!

His main fault was signing some of the D budgets.

quote:

Originally posted by greasezerk:
The way i see things is not as one sided as some on this board. Reagan gave huge tax breaks to the higher income people and corporations. Heavy construction came to a stop during the 80's. The economic boom didnt benefit the middle and lower classes like it did for the rich. In a time of great "prosperity" Reagan wouldnt even support raising the minimum wage. The main gripe of PATCO was their working conditions. PATCO wanted a new computer system to replace the obsolete way they were forced to do their jobs. Wages were a small part of their strike, not the entire reason as most republican people think. The working families of this country were given a huge national deficit to pay off. The Pope had a huge part in defeating communism and he just as well took down the wall. Its not like Reagan was the only pres to butt heads with the USSR. People can praise Reagan all they want but as i see it all Reagans leagacy created was more wealth for the rich and lowering the living standards of Americas working class. Now jobs are shipped out of this counrty is record amounts. The last job report had many new jobs created including a significant amount in the manufacturing sector. Well just how long will those jobs be around before they are sent to China?

Darn Evil Republicans never, never, never do anything right.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway-I realize the funeral cost the tax payers a kazillion dollars...but it was very moving, very impressive and worth every penny of it to me. It made me proud to be an American again.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

What the Patco strike was about is irrelevant. They were forbidden by law to strike. Reagan warned them to get back to work or lose their jobs. They thought he would blink, he didn't.

Gorbachev thought he would blink, he didn't. I don't think you will find too many Soviets who will credit John Paul II,as wonderful a man as he is, for bringing down the entire Iron Curtain.
But I could be wrong.

The Russians didn't blink they just ran out of money and could no longer play the game. RR's state parade (is that what it's called?) was live on TV this morning, I actually stayed home from work for a few hrs to watch it.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:

He got this country out of its' funk. We were respected by all countries. I have often wondered how Reagan would have handled this Iraq situation we are into. I think most of ya'll know, it probably never would have happened.

I think he would've actually finished the job in Afganistan and then looked for other threats.

I was around 12 years old when Reagan first became President.In my opinion,theres not been a Pres. since that could compare.George W. has been the closest and he has a long way to go.Reagan stood for what was right and didnt back down.Those that disagreed with him couldnt keep from liking him even though they disliked his policies.In my opinion,he had much to do with the prospererity we had in the mid 80's and most of the 90's.His policies got the economy moving and he built the US Military back to make the US a truly powerful nation.We need another president like Reagan for our great country.Many say that he was a bad president but he left office with the highest rating of any president in US history.His was the highest rating since Roosevelt.He must have done something right.His death has saddened millions and millions of people,not only in this country but across the world.

The Pope has something to do with bringing down the Berlin wall?
grin.gif
I can only quote Stalin "How many divisions does the pope have?"

Regan gave tax breaks to the rich? Just who in the **** do you think pays most of the taxes? The poor don't pay any. Not that I am in love with the very rich, but they are the ones who build the factories and run the businesses that pay our salaries. Raise the taxes on them and they can't see any reason to expand those facilities so there will be more jobs. Yes there those who simply live on their inherited wealth, but at the same time they put money into the economy. The government DOES NOT earn money. It simply takes our money, and if we are very nice, lets us have some of it back after taking its cut.
I can see the need for services the govt. provides, schools police fire depts, defence, etc. What I DO NOT see the need for is giving our money to nations who turn around and slander us put our aid in Swiss bank accounts, and support our enemies.

Don't care how you slice and dice it, the man was "the man." He had vision, he followed it. He didn't take any BS from anybody or any country. Ya'll remember Kadahfi? (sp??) He shut the #ell up when he realized he was about to become permanently disabled. You have to admit, the 80's were great years. The oppurtunities were there for those that wanted it. Some choose not to and still cry about it today. Whatever. Groucho hit it perfectly, economics plays one of the most important parts in a war, ask Hitler. If he had all the resources at his fingertips, where would the world be today?
He got this country out of its' funk. We were respected by all countries. I have often wondered how Reagan would have handled this Iraq situation we are into. I think most of ya'll know, it probably never would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back