Rodin's "The Thinker"

Yesterday we somewhat accidently stopped at the Stanford University Museum; I had no idea there was a Rodin exibit on loan from Paris.
PXL_20230521_215754493.jpg

They've had copies for a long time, although it's weird because of whether it was something authorized to be made from the original castings or where a casting was made from an existing bronze. There's been a lot of controversy over this.

I saw one copy at their Rodin Sculpture Garden back in the late 80s. I don't see it here though.

It's in Paris, but in the Rodin museum.

https://www.musee-rodin.fr/en

They're castings that were made with a mold of Rodin's clay models. Many were cast after Rodin's death and there are some that were supposedly unauthorized although I'm not sure if there's any kind of copyright or trademark protection after over 100 years. Some have a patina like the one at the National Gallery of Art. I read somewhere that there are plaster versions that were then painted with copper paint. And he made several original clay versions in the same or different sizes.

Rodin's Thinker exists today in many casts and sizes. More than fifty are known in this size—which is the size of Rodin's original handmade clay model.​
default.jpg

They've had copies for a long time, although it's weird because of whether it was something authorized to be made from the original castings or where a casting was made from an existing bronze. There's been a lot of controversy over this.

I saw one copy at their Rodin Sculpture Garden back in the late 80s. I don't see it here though.

The Sculpture Garden is still there. This is indoors in the main Cantor Arts Center.

The Lourve is for older art pieces. When we viewed the Mona Lisa, I understood why it is the world's most famous painting. I was mesmerized.
Funny I've seen it a few times and have always been underwhelmed.

The David in Florence however is the exact opposite. Fortunate to have been there twice, it is spectacular.

jeff

Funny I've seen it a few times and have always been underwhelmed.

The David in Florence however is the exact opposite. Fortunate to have been there twice, it is spectacular.

jeff

It's FRENCH art. A lot of that leaves me underwhelmed. I wouldn't give $5 for a Picasso.

Agree, the Renaissance Italians were real masters of art. Everyone after that was just an want-to-be imitation IMO.

Back