Rod Bearing Failure Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
To late to edit.
The sound seems to change tone, that's not consistent with rod knock.
I had a knocker here a while ago and it sounded much different, pulling the wires one at a time identified the culprit right away.

And when I say hang a nail I mean just barely, they are fairy smooth for the most part.

Probably nothing to worry about, pictures seem to highlight everything to some degree.
I have a Subaru here with a knock that sounds very similar a rod but its not, its a loose exhaust valve seat.

Did you short out each cyl to check it before pulling the pan?

No. Was planning on just doing the manifold gasket, then step after step needed to dig deeper. I'm just planning on pulling it, that way I can get measurements, find the root of the problem, and address it accordingly. Motors known to drop vale seats, and warpage due to overheat, aluminum heads, spin the 8cyl rod bearing, timing chain guides going & some reports of oil pump failure.

The inside of the timing chain cover was eroded and I had to replace it. Not sure what happened there. This is a interference motor, so maybe a valve came into contact w a piston. We will see.

8yrlg2.jpg

I know this sounds crazy, but could the bearings have been a little tight at the last assembly, and the builder tried to sand down the back sides of the bearings to loosen them up a bit? Or perhaps he tried to rough them up to make it a little tighter? I have seen some crazy things go on in engine shops.

Everything I've done to this vehicle seems like the first time it's been done, evidenced by gasket age, untouched bolt heads, uniform torquing, genuine parts, etc. guess it could have been dealer serviced early on. Vehicle was completely bone stock minus some alpine speakers.

Is it just a coincidence that the bearings have 98 stamped on them, the year the motor was assembled?

Finally got to pulling the drivers side head, that's the #7 piston w the skirt wear. Does the cam look okay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back