Rock Auto parts?

Just picked up my car from the shop and overheard two mechanics joking about a crank sensor that a customer had ordered from Rock Auto. The conversation was disparaging as the two mechanics were making comments about what a joke parts from Rock Auto are. As a long-time customer of Rock, I wonder what your thoughts are?

Just picked up my car from the shop and overheard two mechanics joking about a crank sensor that a customer had ordered from Rock Auto. The conversation was disparaging as the two mechanics were making comments about what a joke parts from Rock Auto are. As a long-time customer of Rock, I wonder what your thoughts are?

The parts sold by Rockauto come from the same warehouses that supply the parts stores that those mechanics likely get their parts from.

I went a few years without issue using rock auto parts for my own misc. repairs. Everything was fine until it wasn't, I had an A/C compressor that failed within the warranty period, the issue is that rockauto would not refund the bad part or send a replacement until I shipped them the defective part. That means I would have to go buy a new compressor, pay a shop to install it, then send rockauto my failed compressor for a refund that would of course only cover the purchase price of the compressor, not the additional components that must be replaced along with the compressor also. They have no live customer service at all (I did try the google fu). The compressor that failed was the same brand the dealer put on the car 3-4 years prior. I have had great luck with 1A auto recently, and they have excellent how-to videos.

I too buy from RA and other parts stores as well. You’ve gotta know what quality you’re looking for and what you want to spend for how long you’ll be keeping your vehicle.

Other parts stores also carry lesser quality parts as not to miss out on a sale for those who don’t want to spend the bigger bucks. If you want the best part, buy OE.

Reactions: JC1
Yeah, Rock Auto allows the customer to pick the cheapest part available while many (wish it were all of them) shops will not get the cheap off-brands because it risks a comeback and dissatisfied customer. Worst is the shops that do get the cheap off brands but then still charge the customer a premium for them, like 5X what the part cost!

I used rockauto numerous times, but lately most of my stuff I've ordered from Summit/JEGS. the prices are a little higher but after you pay shipping from rockauto most of the time the price is cheaper from other places. I also like the fact that if I have any issues/concerns I can actually talk to someone.

They've likely installed thousands of sensors that come from the same warehouses as Rockauto. I just bought 2 ball joints, 2 tie rod ends, 8 spark plugs, and a set of rotors and pads for $138 with taxes and shipping. The same parts priced out at my local Napa was >$200.

The customer probably used the cheapest option, which can be fine when ti works out. We have had people buy the complete wrong part from them somehow.

Also FWIW, one of the vendors we use for competitive make parts, Parts Authority (IMC) drop ships for Rock Auto.

With Rock auto I control the quality of the part I buy.
Sometimes shops when they order the pat for you will will buy a cheap part but charge you for a premium one.

My experiences with aftermarket parts in general is a nightmare. Coil from NGK failing when warm, crank sensor for WVT failed after 1K, cam sensor from standard lasted 75 miles, MAF from Delphi 6 miles and many more all brand name. Believe me it is not just Rock. From now on OE if possible.

Back