Rock Auto parts?

Maj corps have several lines of product w/differing quality standards (ACDelco for instance hasa walmart brand differing from those sold @ higher price elsewhere).
People need to stop spreading those stories.

As a counterman for AZ
The engine oil sold at Walmart is lower quality than sold at Autozone and other parts stores too, right ?

The only issue I have with Rock Auto is with distributor closeout parts. This is especially aggravating when you replace parts in pairs, such as light bulbs and wiper blades. They ship mixed brands or just plain different parts with the same part number. I avoid distributor close outs in these cases.

20220219_165729_resized_annotated.jpg

The Legend uses 9004 bulbs for both the low/high and high beam positions. Blue filters....MEH.

People need to stop spreading those stories.

The engine oil sold at Walmart is lower quality than sold at Autozone and other parts stores too, right ?
While ACDelco does have three lines (GM OE, Professional and Advantage), much like O’Reilly/AutoZone has their “best”(BrakeBest Select, Ultima, Duralast) and “better/jobber”(MasterPro, Valucraft), it would be foolish for many brands to make “different” lines for mass retailers like Walmart.

Yes, Michelin makes an club store-exclusive line for Costco/BJ’s/Sam’s and Conti makes an exclusive tire for America’s/Discount Tire and a Walmart/Gulf States Toyota exclusive General tire. But for auto parts, many of the suppliers are the same. Some will make an exclusive line - such as the Perfect Stop/Perfect Wipe series by Bosch for Auto Value affiliates and Federated’s house brand of pads by Wagner(Driv).

Bosch, Driv, MAT, First Brands, Standard/BWD, Dorman, Cardone BorgWarner(Remy) and TYC(new Chinese rotating electrical) don’t discriminate between the parts houses(who are usually AAP or Federated affiliated) and the chain auto parts stores. Ironically enough, Advanced owns Worldpac, Parts Authority owns IMC I think and is a Rock partner.

Ive never had any issue with rock auto but I don't generally buy the cheap stuff they sell. I always try to go oem if possible and if not stick with name brand stuff.

I always compare parts I need from all stores, including RockAuto, and order based on immediate need (pick up in 30 minutes), or best part for the price. When I rebuilt my Beetle, it was a combo of parts from all sources.

My only issue is that if I’m not sure I need a part, but want it on hand, I have to source locally as return shipping to rock auto comes out of my pocket.

I’ve never had an issue with parts from RockAuto.

While ACDelco does have three lines...
Having different "grades" of parts is one thing, but they're still putting their name on all of them. Same applies to tire makers making exclusive models for a chain. Their name is still on the part - not the store's name - so it's still their reputation on the line. No one has ever suggested these tires are cheaper/poorer quality, corners are cut, etc either (not suggesting you're saying this is the case either).

I always compare parts I need from all stores, including RockAuto, and order based on immediate need (pick up in 30 minutes), or best part for the price. When I rebuilt my Beetle, it was a combo of parts from all sources.

My only issue is that if I’m not sure I need a part, but want it on hand, I have to source locally as return shipping to rock auto comes out of my pocket.

I’ve never had an issue with parts from RockAuto.
You can just pay with Paypal and they will pay the return shipping up to $30 and up to 12 times a year. Good for FCPEuro too which offers lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell, you just have to return the part. You can always order the replacement parts and then use paypal return to return the old parts.

Back