Robo calls

We have an AT&T telephone answering machine. We get tons of robo calls and typically let the answering machine handle them. The unit accepts the call and then the machine prompts for a message and then hangs up. Lately we are getting calls which terminate with our phone acting like it has been left off the hook. It starts beeping and the only way to silence it and ready the machine for use is to press the answer button and then the hang up button. Is there some way to prevent this?

We have an AT&T telephone answering machine. We get tons of robo calls and typically let the answering machine handle them. The unit accepts the call and then the machine prompts for a message and then hangs up. Lately we are getting calls which terminate with our phone acting like it has been left off the hook. It starts beeping and the only way to silence it and ready the machine for use is to press the answer button and then the hang up button. Is there some way to prevent this?

Sounds like a new trick to get people to answer. If you are pressing the answer button that might be telling the robo call computer that you are home. That will prompt more calls.

What vintage is this AT&T machine? A stand alone machine or part of a phone system? Are they also your carrier or someone else?

There are better systems.

I looked up your model # CL83213 and it’s one of those all in one cordless units with a built in answering machine.

Looking at CSpire they have a call blocking feature you might try.

Call Blocking

Pesky telemarketers blowing up your phone at dinner? Block up to 32 numbers. Blocked callers will be routed to a recorded message and your phone will not ring.

Dial *57 to block the last caller.

I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number (caller ID). I let the voice mail answer it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
If you aren't in a hurry and just want to have fun with a robo toy, practice a bit of mental jiu jitsu with the caller. If it is a female politely let her know your preference of intimate garments to be (your preferred hue). Gauge her reaction. Likely the call will drop, if not you might mine some gold there. If the caller is male just ask if he prefers catching or pitching.

Lots of fun and your calls from this number will stop.

Escape08 that is exactly what we do but those companies have started this thing I described. If we let the call ring the answering machine prompts for a message and then goes in to this annoying beeping or buzzing thing that is used to warn you the phone is off the hook, which it is not. Only way to make it stop is too hit the green answer button and then the red end call button. Really bugs us because you have to get up and go stop the call.
The *57 suggested does nothing.

Depending on your service, you might be able to use Nomorobo. It's free for landlines.

The only glitch is that it used to mistakenly screen out doctor's appointment reminders. I think they have that sorted out now.

If you aren't in a hurry and just want to have fun with a robo toy, practice a bit of mental jiu jitsu with the caller. If it is a female politely let her know your preference of intimate garments to be (your preferred hue). Gauge her reaction. Likely the call will drop, if not you might mine some gold there. If the caller is male just ask if he prefers catching or pitching.

Lots of fun and your calls from this number will stop.
My dad had one of those extended car warranty spam calls. He told the guy his current vehicle was a late 80's Yugo. The guy was speechless and hung up.

Escape08 that is exactly what we do but those companies have started this thing I described. If we let the call ring the answering machine prompts for a message and then goes in to this annoying beeping or buzzing thing that is used to warn you the phone is off the hook, which it is not. Only way to make it stop is too hit the green answer button and then the red end call button. Really bugs us because you have to get up and go stop the call.
The *57 suggested does nothing.
My mobile phone provider is Tracfone and I never have or had experienced what you are getting. Maybe it's time to change service provider and change the phone number as well.

See P.83 of the manual

Set the max recording time to 1 minute, see if that helps. (Factory default is 3 minutes.)
My guess is your telco changed the number of seconds before they start playing the howler sound.

Back