ROAV Dashtop Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how I feel about these HUD devices. Seems like just another distraction. But if the alternative is to take your eyes completely off the road (to look at your phone or map), then I guess a HUD is an improvement.

https://www.goroav.com/

Another one of these popped up on my newsfeed and it was $799 if I recall correctly. Can't remember the name.

Seems it too was billed as being in this price range. Once it hit the market, it was about double the initial estimate.

Navdy, I think.

Not sure how many of these are actually shipping.

I think I'll wait to see which ones actually deliver and what they will cost once there are some established players in the space.

I'm a big fan of HUD systems. I'm not necessarily keen on enabling people to read text messages while they drive, as this device apparently can do, but I really like the HUD for navigation and vehicle speed. One thing I've always liked about General Motors is they were, at least at one time, a believer in this technology. My brother used to own a '99 C5 with the HUD, and it was wonderful. The only time I would ever look down at the dashboard was WOT shifting because the actual tachometer had more resolution than the digital HUD one did. If driving an automatic, I'd probably never look down at the dash.

Chrysler took one step in this direction about 10 years ago, and I liked the concept. In their first generation Pacifica, the optional navigation screen was embedded in the instrument cluster, in the center of the speedometer. I thought that was smart from a driver perspective, so the driver had only one place on the dash to look instead of two.

nav5.jpg

Edit: after looking closer at the image, it appears that the screen wasn't embedded into the cluster -- rather it was at the top in the hood, and projected an image down on to the plastic lens. Either way, similar concept. And, actually, tantalizingly close to what ROAV is doing. If Chrysler would have projected the map image into the windshield rather than onto the instrument cluster, they'd have had it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back