Road Trip! Tail of the Dragon!

I broke in my KTM 790 ADV and Changed the oil at 545 miles. I left the next day for a Riding trip to the tail of the dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the wheels through time museum with some Harley guys I ride with.

Ended up riding 1200+ miles this long weekend. The dragon is a fun ride, but I think I liked the fast pace and long sweepers on the Cherohala skyway better. Lots of excellent riding roads in the area.

The KTM still has the temp tag on it and has almost 2k miles. Comfort was very good. I always have chosen bikes I could stand up on for long rides, and the 790 ADV doesn’t disappoint.

I ride with a group of guys with Screaming Eagle Harley’s and they were surprised how fast the 790 was in a straight line as it had no trouble pulling away from them.

Of course on the twisties I was usually riding alone up front so I could ride quickly and would pull over and wait for them after 10 miles or so. I will say a couple in our group on road kings could ride pretty fast in the curves until they would scrape.

The factory Scorpion STR tires surprised me on how well they held the road on the edge of the tire. I expected them to be mediocre, but they had more than enough grip for my skill and confidence level.

Hoping to put another 5-6k miles on the 790 this season. So far I’m a fan. We will see if the cams hold up!

365FABC0-B8E8-4521-B6B0-F053D573BF4B.jpeg

C3B11AB3-E1FA-4E6C-86A6-AF5DBDAAD06A.jpeg

B61DBEEA-7179-4FD6-8B49-327EA99EB9A7.jpeg

Ended up riding 1200 miles this long weekend. The dragon is a fun ride, but I think I liked the fast pace and long sweepers on the Cherohala skyway better. Lots of excellent riding roads in the area.
Glad you’re loving your new KTM and great that you got to experience the dragon. I agree with the Cherohala ride being more leisurely and laid back. Too bad you guys were time constrained as you could have spent a week in the area and still not have ridden all the beautiful rides. Wheels through time is an amazing experience that’s a must see! Happy that nobody left any plastic hanging in the tree of shame! ;)

That area used to be one of our weekend haunts back before it became so popular. I'll still head up that direction from time to time, but it has to be on a weekday when there's not so much going on.

Plus I don't have my bikes or the Miata anymore. The Acura can be fun, but it isn't the right tool for the job.

I ride with a group of guys with Screaming Eagle Harley’s and they were surprised how fast the 790 was in a straight line as it had no trouble pulling away from them.

View attachment 224116

Was that a killboy shot? I have a few of those myself. I love riding in that area. I prefer the dragon over the higher speed stuff...but I also like AutoX and I used to race super motard on go-kart tracks. I just love the tight technical stuff.
I always have a laugh at "Harley Guys" that are surprised at the speed and power of pretty much any other bike on the road they ride with. They don't realize most of the time they are riding with bikes that are 50-75% of the weight of their bike with 125-150+% of the power they have. I have just never understood owning a Harley from any technical perspective. I can only blame it on the social aspect.

How does riding or driving on the Tail of the Dragon work? Is it an open road anyone can go on and you might end up behind a slowpoke?

How does riding or driving on the Tail of the Dragon work? Is it an open road anyone can go on and you might end up behind a slowpoke?
Yes, it's a public road, and you can get stuck behind someone slow.

When I went it just started to rain, so a bunch of the motorcycle guys were pulling off the side of the road, so it was completely open for me. To be fair, the roads around the dragon are just as fun, the dragon is just the famous one.

Was that a killboy shot? I have a few of those myself. I love riding in that area. I prefer the dragon over the higher speed stuff...but I also like AutoX and I used to race super motard on go-kart tracks. I just love the tight technical stuff.
I always have a laugh at "Harley Guys" that are surprised at the speed and power of pretty much any other bike on the road they ride with. They don't realize most of the time they are riding with bikes that are 50-75% of the weight of their bike with 125-150+% of the power they have. I have just never understood owning a Harley from any technical perspective. I can only blame it on the social aspect.
It’s was a shot from 129 photos. They got about 10 pictures of me VS 1 from Killboy so I went with the 129 photos. I’m not sure if it matters much, likely the killboy photographer wasn’t on his/her a game that day.

It is possible. I was fortunate the first pass to be behind one of our guys on a Road King that can flat ride. We did the first one in the wet so I was okay with the 35mph Average pace.

The second time it was dry and I was all alone on my side of the road the entire time and was able to ride it at a nice pace.

The final trip through on the way home it was 6am and rainy and I followed all the Harley’s so I was basically steering the dragon…unfortunately.

The last time I rode the dragon was 2 up with my wife. I pulled over at the many “courtesy pull offs” many times with her riding with me. One time was to let a Chrysler mini van around me and when the minivan came by me the driver was a little old granny woman that had been pushing me around the curves. We still laugh about it on occasion, but if I want her to be my riding partner, I have to play by her rules! 🤨

Great photos.

I was on vacation out that way once many years ago. Driving a foul handling Ford Aerostar minivan with the wife and two young kids in the back. Got on that road by mistake. Being a racer wanna be I let it all hang out. Found out quick what brake fade was. Kids were barfing and wife wasn't happy. I imagine it would be a way better experience on a motorcycle.

Never tried it again.

Hoping to put another 5-6k miles on the 790 this season. So far I’m a fan. We will see if the cams hold up!
When is the 1st valve adjustment check? If the shop does it, I'd be asking to look at the cam lobes myself after they removed the valve cover.

There isn't much that won't pull away from a HD, even those that are hopped up with whatever stage kit they have. Their fans claim HDs aren't meant to be fast, yet they keep making them bigger and bigger, and they keep coming out with these hop up kits to make them faster. Why anyone would spend $40K or more on a new HD, then sink another $5K-$10K in the engine to make it faster is beyond me. For half that much they could buy a stock bike that would do everything better, but they gotta have that sound...

@donnyj08

Great looking bike and even a better trip up there. It's an awesome experience. Did it once solo and about 12 years with my wife up until 2 years ago. Actually bought my bike current bike new in Pigeon Forge and traded in my Yamaha there rode the new Road King home to SC from there, in the rain *LOL*.
I agree, you got to do the Tail as long as you are comfortable, been there at least 6 times but I agree Cherohala is what I would recommend to anyone if they had to chose between the two.
Another nice trip is from Maggie Valley to Gatlinburg. Gosh, sooo much cool riding up there and the people, just great, all thrilled to be doing the same thing. Also starting from Cashiers up to there is amazing with Waterfalls, and Pisgah National Forest (looking glass falls but more crowded)
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 11.06.10 AM.jpg

Last edited:
@donnyj08

Great looking bike and even a better trip up there. It's an awesome experience. Did it once solo and about 12 years with my wife up until 2 years ago. Actually bought my bike current bike new in Pigeon Forge and traded in my Yamaha there rode the new Road King home to SC from there, in the rain *LOL*.
I agree, you got to do the Tail as long as you are comfortable, been there at least 6 times but I agree Cherohala is what I would recommend to anyone if they had to chose between the two.
Another nice trip is from Maggie Valley to Gatlinburg. Gosh, sooo much cool riding up there and the people, just great, all thrilled to be doing the same thing. Also starting from Cashiers up to there is amazing with Waterfalls, and Pisgah National Forest (looking glass falls but more crowded)
View attachment 224470
that’s awesome!

Certainly would love to do that on a whim sometime! I was tempted to fly out to Vegas last year and ride back a new leftover 2020 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce. I however couldn’t bring my self to buy it given there isn’t a dealer within 100 miles of my home. They just don’t seem to sell well enough for dealer support. Beautiful bikes tho.

that’s awesome!

Certainly would love to do that on a whim sometime! I was tempted to fly out to Vegas last year and ride back a new leftover 2020 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce. I however couldn’t bring my self to buy it given there isn’t a dealer within 100 miles of my home. They just don’t seem to sell well enough for dealer support. Beautiful bikes tho.
Yeah, I get the dealer thing, about a decade back I wanted to buy a Triumph Cruiser.
I kind of always wanted one and a dealer up in Charlotte was offering me an unbelievable deal on a leftover. Like four grand off the sticker.
The problem was no real local dealer where I lived near Columbia, South Carolina.
There was one that called themselves, a triumph dealer, but it was more like an ATV dealer.

I just wouldn’t feel comfortable buying a bike, knowing that I would have to rely on a shop that doesn’t work on the bikes of that brand all the time.

About two years ago, I considered selling my road king as we just have travel to so many areas and have done so many things I felt like we were running out of things to do. Oh my God I’m glad I didn’t. Last year we moved from the Midlands of South Carolina to the coastal area of North Carolina and we been out on the bike every evening now riding to the beach and local taverns, just awesome. it’s not the mountains but it’s a new experience and a welcome on being we have spent well over decade on different bikes up in the mountains and a SC beach every year.

The sad part is now we are further away than ever from the mountains. It’s absolutely a fantastic place to spend time on a bike.
Here one day I plan on doing the Outer Banks not sure if that’s in the cards this year or not.

I have considered a sport bike, something a bit more nimble and light. Let me put it this way. We have a good marriage and I enjoy spending time with my wife. She loves the bike but will not get on a sport bike. I don’t think she trusts me, something about the word sports and bike makes her nervous and she is a petite girl and is a little uncomfortable with the high back seat that is far off the ground.
I’m not sure if I can blame her, she trusts me on the road King 100% and honestly I don’t know if I could ride on the bike sitting on the backseat with someone else at the controls so I respect how she feels

Last edited:
Back