Road trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week promised to end on a positive note (we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary), but started of on a downright sour one; my wife's grandfather passed away last Sunday. Though the service was on Thursday, we decided to continue with our trip to the mountains and Asheville to visit the Biltmore over the weekend. And it was a good decision. The service was very nice on Thursday. Her grandfather was a Korean veteran, and was buried in the new veteran's cemetery on land that used to be part of the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Dublin, VA. My emotions were good until the 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps on the horn. That should make anyone tear with emotion and respect. So it was a good service with good family time afterward.

The following is a report on the great automotive-related aspects of the rest of our trip.

First off, we drove our CR-V and my wife's brother had his '04 Accord down, so I just had to take a picture of all three in the driveway...our green 2008 CR-V, my wife's parents' blue 2011 CR-V, and my wife's brother's 2004 Accord coupe.

IMG_0136.JPG

We decided to spend the day on Friday leisurely making our way to our rented cabin near Asheville by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We've spent some time on the BRP, but never as part of a journey somewhere...just as a day trip. I can't tell you how much I recommend taking the time for a slow drive, if you have the time. We spent about six hours driving 120 miles of the BRP, from Fancy Gap, VA, to around Linville, NC. Being the BITOG'r that I am, here are some of the automotive-related photos.

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

We stopped at most of the "sites" to see, like many of the small cabins that line the BRP to the Moses Cone house in North Carolina. That in itself is something to behold. More info here: http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/pages/guild-shops/parkway-craft-center.php

Our cabin was in the small town of Burnsville, NC, which is about 45 minutes north of Asheville. Burnsville has a very nice little town square and many small shops and restaurants. I can highly recommend "Bubba's" after we ate supper there Friday night.

IMG_0156.JPG

Our cabin seemed to be a mile off the paved road, up a rather steep hill. The directions said to "put car in low gear". That was no joke. The path to the cabin from the paved road was very narrow, and would have been near impassable with snow, just due to the steepness of the surface.

IMG_0157.JPG

We were hesitant about the cabin from the outside, but it was just as pictured on the inside. Three bedrooms, a full kitchen/dining room, upper and lower decks (on the back side), and a private hot tub on the deck. It was sublime.

There can't be too many opportunities to take pictures of your car in front of the largest privately-owned house in the United States, so I just had to do it!

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

A real treat was seeing George Vanderbuilt's 1913 Stevens-Duryea model C-six. More about that here, but one of my own photos below:

IMG_0166.JPG

The CR-V did great on the trip. I was real anxious to see how the 4-cylinder engine would do tugging around a 3,500 pound SUV, but it was a non-issue. It'd hold the cruise control speed just fine on long hills; if it needed to downshift into 4th, it'd do so. Honda's Grade Logic Control made quick work of the ups and downs. Lower gears were held on hills and it would never upshift prematurely. Despite all the ups and downs of the terrain and poking around the Biltmore all day on Saturday, the computer reports a fine 27.2 mpg on the 800+ mile trip. Against the EPA estimate of 26 mpg, I was quite pleased (and surprised). The highest elevation I saw via CoPilot on our Android tablet was about 4,600 feet. The lowest was around 150 feet (at home in NC).

I'm also extremely pleased with these tires, Michelin Latitude Tour in 225/65R17 102T spec. They roll very smooth, hug the curves great, are very quiet on all but of the grainiest of surfaces, and apparently deliver decent economy, too. Most CR-V owners on those forums say these are the best tires for this vehicle and I'd say that given my experience with them so far, I couldn't argue against it very well.

I'd do this trip again in a heartbeat (minus the funeral of course). If anyone has any questions about anything we did or about the cabin where we stayed, I'd be glad to provide information.

I went to Biltmore last year and it is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. Very nice part of the mountains to be cruising around also! Nice pictures!

Nice! I got to fly into Asheville a few years ago during the winter and it was one of the prettiest parts of the country I'd ever seen. You can say that for much of North Carolina.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks great and familiar. Home for me is Charlotte so I am often driving through that area to go visit my folks. Beautiful country out there. In fact, I do believe I can hear Gatlinburg calling for a fall trip in October out there. How was the road/wind noise factor in the CRV ?

I know its whisper quiet in my Acura but my gf's Civic lets everyone know its doing its bestest all the time !

Last edited:
Nice. Biltmore is pretty cool. Pisgah has some really cool roads going through it, aside from Uwharrie it is one of my favorite places in the state to go.

Originally Posted By: bourne
How was the road/wind noise factor in the CRV ?

It's so subjective, but I'll do my best.

Wind noise has always been a non-issue in this car. I'd give it an 8, knowing that there are probably other cars out there that are quieter. Even at interstate speed, if you find one of those very quiet asphalt type surfaces, where there is no road noise, you can hear the engine humming away at about 2,200 rpm and there's almost no wind noise.

Road noise I would say is "fair to good". Maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, 10 being the best. Tires make a big difference on these vehicles. Road noise volume and pitch depends heavily on the type of surface, as it does with most cars. The suspension subframes, if you can call them that, bolt directly to the body on the CR-V, and not through rubber bushings. So you will have more noise transmitted to the cabin. You'll also have more direct suspension action and response. It's a trade off.

It's never bothered me. I recently took a trip to Arkansas by myself (13 hours each way) and was surprised at how energized I felt getting there and also getting home. Whatever noise the car produces is not fatiguing at all. In fact, I think the combination of the road feel you get and the noise of the tires on the road surface may help keep me alert.

Nice pictures! Glad to hear it made it just fine, and got good FE. Nice to hear about the wind/tire noise too. I can't say I'm looking at CRV's but have long been turned off to them, on the basis of my MIL's '04.

At my grandfather's funeral, I made it through taps just fine (he got to "hike" from Italy to Germany, IIRC) but he was a volunteer FF for decades. When they did last call for him is when I lost it.

How come your CR-V has the most shine of all the vehicles in the first photo? Even though yours is lot older than the blue one, yours looks newer. Tell us your secret

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How come your CR-V has the most shine of all the vehicles in the first photo? Even though yours is lot older than the blue one, yours looks newer. Tell us your secret

Thanks, but ours is the only one that's garaged! The blue one always parks where you see it in the picture and the Accord parks outside in Pittsburgh. Ours goes to work with me and sits out in the sun all day, but I think it still helps keeping it in the garage in the evening and overnight. My mother-in-law's 2010 Acura TL stays in the garage you see there...and it stays looking pretty clean.

There was a thread a while ago about bad Honda paint, but I just haven't seen it in my family's experience. I keep our cars either waxed or NuFinish'd all the time, but my brother-in-law's 2004 Accord there never gets washed and lives outside 24/7, and the paint is still good. Luck of the draw maybe.

What do you have on yours currently? If wax, which one? Your light color is NOT an easy one to make it shine. Any wax can make dark color shine but it takes a special one to make light color reflect like yours.

To be completely honest with you, it has nothing on it now. I washed it with Palmolive a few weeks ago to strip all wax/NuFinish off and haven't had the opportunity to re-apply anything. I do plan to use a wax this time instead of the NuFinish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back