Road trip preps for a 317,280 mile truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking a break from the Florida heat for a moment and I thought I'd share some of my plans for the next two weekends as I do some preventative maintenance on my 4Runner before its 3,000-4,000 upcoming road trip.

Background:
The truck is a 1987 Toyota 4Runner with a 2.4L 22RE and a 5sp. I purchased it from the original owner back in April of 2011 with 255,150 miles on it. Prior to my ownership it was ALWAYS dealer maintained for everything from wiper blades to tires and oil changes. Came with a huge stack of paperwork to support it.

Truck maintains the original engine which now has 317,280 miles on it, the lower end has never been touched in it and it still has fantastic compression and uses no oil.

What I've done since I've owned the truck (almost all work is now 4 years old):

Engine: New timing set, head gasket, valve job, rebuilt OE injectors, spark plugs, OE wires, cap, rotor, radiator, clutch fan, alternator, stainless header and 2.5" exhaust.

Steering and drivetrain: New clutch and flywheel, new clutch master cylinder, upgraded to T100 brakes to include master cylinder and brake booster, rear axle rebuilt with new wheel bearings 3rd member from a donor V-6 truck rebuilt with 4.10 factory gears new bearings and a Detroit locker, rear add a leaf, new u joints in rear drive shaft, KYB gas-a-just shocks all the way around, idler arm. Truck still has all the original ball joints and tie rod ends.

Road trip preps:

Oil change: The LiquiMoly 10w40 and Purolator Boss filter will be coming out of service after 5,000 miles and the truck will be getting a Beck Arnley made in Korea filter along with a home brew synthetic blend (clearing out the stash) consisting of 2 quarts Napa Synthetic 0w20, 1 quart 10w40 Valvoline DuraBlend and 2 quarts of 10w40 Valvoline MaxLife.

Chassis: Tire inflation checked, lug nuts torqued, u-joints and steering/suspension components greased, rear axle, transmission and transfer case fluids checked.

Engine/under hood: Coolant level checked, spare belts in the truck, oil changed per above, brake/clutch fluid and power steering fluid checked, battery connections verified snug.

Misc: Fuel injector cleaner in the tank (I do it every oil change), tire plug kit and baby compressor in the truck, new windshield wipers and a fresh coat of Rain-X on the windshield. A couple quarts of oil in the truck just in case.

This truck has made this trip a few times now, it's my daily driver and I have no worries about taking it as it has been exceptionally reliable. I know some people would think I'm crazy to take a truck with this many miles on the original engine on a trip like this.

UOAs for the 5+ years I've owned the truck posted HERE

So, what am I forgetting?

If its not had any issues on a daily basis it should not be any on a longer one. Its not using oil and good compression.
Missing, maybe a good seat pad. I have a gel over memory foam for longer hauls. Leaving for Fort Knox next week and I do short of 1000 miles in a day.

Sounds like you know the truck inside and out. Just make sure you have a tire patch kit with you.

I had a 98 Sienna with 283,xxx and I would have no issues taking it on a 500 mile trip to Pennsylvania.

If you're keeping up maintenance, I wouldn't much worry. Think about what could strand you due to age: fuel pump, rubber hoses (fuel, coolant, brake, etc), cooling system, rubber suspension parts, etc. If they are known and in good shape, can't say I'd worry much.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you're keeping up maintenance, I wouldn't much worry. Think about what could strand you due to age: fuel pump, rubber hoses (fuel, coolant, brake, etc), cooling system, rubber suspension parts, etc. If they are known and in good shape, can't say I'd worry much.

Radiator and hoses are about a year old, the rest of the coolant hoses are in good shape so I'm probably good there. Suspension bushings are in good shape all around. Fuel pump is original, but knock on wood I've never had a fuel pump die in this vintage truck, however if anything is going to leave me stranded that would probably be my biggest concern. That being said I don't intend to change the fuel pump as a precaution. If it was a GM/Ford/Dodge of the same year I wouldn't trust the stock fuel pump past 100k and I'd replace it.

Heading from Florida to Michigan, will be in Detroit and Marquette mostly. Should be an awesome road trip I'm looking forward to it.

" Truck still has all the original ball joints and tie rod ends."
Original tie rod ends and ball joints? I'd be shaking those
grin2.gif

When we were about to leave Ellijay GA . I couldn't get the left hood latch to grab. To secure it, I ran a 2' #12 sheetmetal screw through the left corner of the hood. I didn't have to unscrew it until I dropped my son off in Hartford CT The Borman6, my first 528e had 300 K miles on the original engine. I have had 5 528es 3 had 300k on them before the bodies rusted out.

Last edited:
Although the ball joints and tie rods are all original, they're all still tight and serviceable. I will keep the community updated as to my progress the end of this month!

You know the truck better than us. Every old truck is different.

If all fluids are full, there are no major leaks, no pending mechanical issues (old trucks will usually give warning when something is going out), and you are familiar with the truck, you're good. Something 20 years newer could be much more unreliable if it hasn't been taken care of.

I would drive either of my trucks across the country tomorrow if I had to.

Sounds like the vehicle is in good mechanical shape.

My only recommendation is to take a set of tools with you, a set of belts (or used ones), cooling hoses (again, used suffice) and some jumper leads. If headed rural, definitely consider a tow strap.

Seems though you've already got most of this. If you're not in the middle of nowhere, help shouldn't be far off. And a Toyota is likely to have almost any part you'd need available at the nearest autoshop

Going to try and answer a few things here at once.

I intend to bring a small stash of tools with me, enough to take care of something simple like a fan belt or alternator.

I have a full set of used belts in the truck for PS, AC and Alternator/water pump plus one new alternator water pump belt.

I have a tow strap in the truck just incase as I will be spending some time in the woods heading to remote friends to visit.

I had completely forgotten about grabbing my set of jumper cables!!! I may bring my boost pack instead or in addition to cables as it's likely I could be somewhere with no one to jump me even if I had cables.

Engine accessories and bearings, the alternator has about 15,000 miles on it, water pump about 35,000, AC compressor about 50,000, idler pulleys have about 20,000 on the new bearings. Power steering pump is original.

I really appreciate all the suggestions! If it wasn't for you guys there are things I definitely would have forgotten!

Sounds like you've gone over it thoroughly and it's well maintained. Something could still fail (as it could on any vehicle at any time) so the only additional thing I'd bring is a cell phone - and some lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back