Got an alignment help me understand

On the 21st of December, I got my 2005 Tahoe aligned before putting new tires on it. Below is the printout. The tech came out and said "You need new struts". I replied "wow, thats pretty interesting considering it has torsion bars and shocks". He said "yeah you need a new shock on the passenger side... it is straight but the steering wheel is to the right". I didn't say much more as they were already 3 hours late and I had to make my tire appointment.

The shocks on the truck are 1 year old Bilstein B4600 and I see no leaks and the thing rides fine. I'm assuming this is just a wrong call. Now, the steering wheel does naturally stay to the right when driving straight.

Truck has 300k and the upper control arms are factory... new upper ball-joints in 2017/2018.

Should I replace the upper arms? Or is this just a bad alignment? Is the goal to get it as close as you can (is it hard to get it spot on)? Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 4.17.57 PM.jpg

1704230299088.jpeg

The alignment should have been done after the new tires are on not before.
Worn tires could introduce a discrepancy.
When ever I get new tires and the old are wearing fine and no driving issues...I do not get the alignment done or checked until the new tires are on and have driven on them to see if anything has changed...like vibration or a pull...

It's simple to adjust the tie rod(s) so that the truck goes straight on the road with the wheel straight. That doesn't affect the alignment at all. It doesn't mean that anything else in the front end is in proper alignment.

It looks like nothing at all was adjusted between before and after. The difference in reading is within the limits of error of the machine. This is a common scam. First they offer a "free alignment check" and measure improperly so that something pops up red. Then they charge you to "fix" it, which is really nothing more than measuring again and it is in the green (which it was all along).

Bad alignment. To be honest. I have had a hard time getting a good one. The "best" one I have gotten was the local Chevy dealer on the Caprice. I had a chain do it originally and it came out worse. Who else do you have around you that can do alignments?
I do have alternatives... my cousin owns his own shop and has an alignment rack, he'd probably do a good job.

I did forget to mention this -- The Lifetime Alignment package was bought on this truck back when my Mom daily drove it in 2017, so that is the only reason I went to Firestone to get it aligned. It is of no cost. Not saying that it is worth it but that is the reasoning behind it.

Now I've always been of the impression that these trucks or any vehicle in particular goes out of alignment quick. And that is why you should get frequent alignments?

I'm guessing this is a situation to sell more alignment services.

I do have alternatives... my cousin owns his own shop and has an alignment rack, he'd probably do a good job.

I did forget to mention this -- The Lifetime Alignment package was bought on this truck back when my Mom daily drove it in 2017, so that is the only reason I went to Firestone to get it aligned. It is of no cost. Not saying that it is worth it but that is the reasoning behind it.

Now I've always been of the impression that these trucks or any vehicle in particular goes out of alignment quick. And that is why you should get frequent alignments?

I'm guessing this is a situation to sell more alignment services.
Hard to say. I had the Caprice done 3 years ago and I don't feel like it has changed. I have had the Buick done twice. Once when I got it and once after I wrecked it. It had not changed. Les Schwab did that one and they did a good job. I have been told yearly as well but I don't.

On the 21st of December, I got my 2005 Tahoe aligned before putting new tires on it. Below is the printout. The tech came out and said "You need new struts". I replied "wow, thats pretty interesting considering it has torsion bars and shocks". He said "yeah you need a new shock on the passenger side... it is straight but the steering wheel is to the right". I didn't say much more as they were already 3 hours late and I had to make my tire appointment.

The shocks on the truck are 1 year old Bilstein B4600 and I see no leaks and the thing rides fine. I'm assuming this is just a wrong call. Now, the steering wheel does naturally stay to the right when driving straight.

Truck has 300k and the upper control arms are factory... new upper ball-joints in 2017/2018.

Should I replace the upper arms? Or is this just a bad alignment? Is the goal to get it as close as you can (is it hard to get it spot on)? Thanks.

View attachment 196144
View attachment 196145

Its pretty close.
If you have a Autozone online acct you can find your vehicle alignment specs etc online:
https://www.autozone.com/diy/repair-guides

There's two things I avoid at all costs when it comes to automotive wheel alignments:
1. Tire Stores
2. Tire Stores with Computerized Printouts

@redhat centering the wheel is part of an alignment. On some vehicles this can be difficult like my Ram apparently. I’d take it back and ask them to center the steering wheel. I’ve done this before because I expect my steering wheel straight. It’s what I have paid for.

FWIW I would do the new tires before the alignment in the future.

Just my $0.02

am I correct in thinking a bad shock would not effect alignment on this style suspension?
Correct. Shocks dampen suspension oscillations and are irrelevant in your set up. The spring or in your case torsion bar sets the ride height and ball joints and tie rods set the wheel alignment.

This theory above is different on a McPherson style strut. The strut does play a part in the alignment.

Just my $0.02

Back