2019 Silverado transfer case life.

Company truck just had the transfer case replaced (not impressed by my parts changers- requested a bench rebuild). 170k km they have seen them replaced at 50k km. I treat the truck as my own- wondering what the story is on these, this one has clutches and the auto function which I do not use although I do use 4x4 alot in the winter and on gravel roads. Do not know the case model- I understand there were three different models, my old NP241 got a chain and bearings thrown at it due to the 700r being out for a rebuild on my personal truck.

I'm gonna be near zero help but I found this allegedly starting in '19, which I didn't know:

"So I was told today by a GM rep that all Z-71's and Trail Boss trucks will have the two speed transfer cases. All others will have a single speed transfer case with a 4wd low "mode" that uses brakes and holding transmission gear and what not to "simulate' 4wd low"

Being an avid 'wheeler, I am not a fan of trying to use brakes as a substitute for gear reduction (or fakey diff lockers, but that's another thread). It's all kinda like imitation crab: seems acceptable at first, but then, NOOOOO!

Anyway, would be good to know if you have a single speed or true 2-speed t-case.

I'm gonna be near zero help but I found this allegedly starting in '19, which I didn't know:

"So I was told today by a GM rep that all Z-71's and Trail Boss trucks will have the two speed transfer cases. All others will have a single speed transfer case with a 4wd low "mode" that uses brakes and holding transmission gear and what not to "simulate' 4wd low"

Being an avid 'wheeler, I am not a fan of trying to use brakes as a substitute for gear reduction (or fakey diff lockers, but that's another thread). It's all kinda like imitation crab: seems acceptable at first, but then, NOOOOO!

Anyway, would be good to know if you have a single speed or true 2-speed t-case.
I agree, there are just certain things that electronic controls cannot beat mechanical systems! You got me laughing at the imitation crab because it is so true!

Things these days are engineered, thanks to computers to the absolute minimum possible quality and complexity.

Company truck just had the transfer case replaced (not impressed by my parts changers- requested a bench rebuild). 170k km they have seen them replaced at 50k km. I treat the truck as my own- wondering what the story is on these, this one has clutches and the auto function which I do not use although I do use 4x4 alot in the winter and on gravel roads. Do not know the case model- I understand there were three different models, my old NP241 got a chain and bearings thrown at it due to the 700r being out for a rebuild on my personal truck.
Firstly, the transfer case is a Magna Powertrain (MP) transfer case. Magna got the contract around 2008. Here is some info on them:

0B175585-2DC0-4C61-B3DE-C374BA6287BB.jpg

No idea where the option codes are located- not in the glove box. Is there a fundamental problem with these cases, I understand the floor shift manual type is desirable.

No idea where the option codes are located- not in the glove box. Is there a fundamental problem with these cases, I understand the floor shift manual type is desirable.
My Caddy is a 2019 and its a QR code on the driver door pillar. I am assuming that may be the same for your vehicle since they are both GM.

edit, looks like snagglefoot and i were posting at same time:)

There was a mention of a single speed transfer case. Here it is. Can you look at your glove compartment door and look for the transfer case code?
Look for the RPO code in the chart above.

View attachment 205990
The RPO code for the 3010 is NPO. This transfer case made a lot of sense for folks who wanted an automatic four wheel drive system but didn’t need a wannabe rock crawling system.

9488644F-F59F-4283-8DDB-91D69D7F1A00.jpg

From the pic, looks like yours is the 2019 K2 flavor, not the 2019 T1xx (I have the '19 K2, myself). There's no inherent problems with those t-cases. And there hasn't been a manual shift option for quite some time, at least not from GM.

I see from your year-old other thread fluid changes on this unit have been.....questionable?

Reactions: D60
From the pic, looks like yours is the 2019 K2 flavor, not the 2019 T1xx (I have the '19 K2, myself). There's no inherent problems with those t-cases. And there hasn't been a manual shift option for quite some time, at least not from GM.

I see from your year-old other thread fluid changes on this unit have been.....questionable?
You'll have to link that- but maybe the fleet co is deserving this as I seem to have to insist on certain oil changes (trans, diffs). I don't recall the tansfer case ever being changed.

MP transfer cases take Dex VI. I have a MP 3024, which used to be the big dog behind a 6.0 gas engine. It was the first ones out and the mechanics recommended Auto-Trak II fluid because of the clutches, even though that was really for the previous NP series of auto transfer cases. It’s nickname is Smurf Fluid because it’s blue in color. I’ve been using it for 16 years and the transfer case has over 250,000 miles. I find my fluid takes about two years and 20,000 miles to start looking black, using the four wheel drive a lot in the winter. I try to change it every two years.

Last edited:
Here is the 2024 3/4 ton manual recommendations. 50,000 miles for normal service and 25,000 miles for severe service. Basically, the transfer case required fluid changes twice as frequently as transmission fluid changes. MP transfer cases use a huge chain to transfer the torque. It’s common to have steel shreds on the magnetic drain plug.
9ABA3B0E-B7BD-431D-BE34-BF0A477D56C9.jpeg

FE73EECB-2C01-4EB6-A364-DC8650CB3EC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is what I found on the drain plug on my MP 3024. This plug needs to be cleaned at every fluid change. There were also very fine particles in the fluid that caused the fluid to take a shape along the magnetic flux. The same cleaned up plug is in the bottom photo.

AD0D44D4-E0D6-4DE6-9F4E-89A5EFA76BCD.jpeg
EDCDB343-0BE6-4BB7-ADBF-F814E150A55A.jpeg

Reactions: D60
Back