Wierd 4x4/ transfer case issue, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm having to make a decision on this other truck tonight, but its heavily weighing on what my best guess to this problem is. I just copied this from another site. Any help is greatly appreciated. This truck has taken up enough of my time and money, but I don't want to unload it on someone without either fixing it or letting them know what it is.

I'm dealing with an issue in 4X4 and trying to figure out if I should buy this Ranger at a dealer. I'd like to get out from under this deal this afternoon, and am having trouble with the Truck that I'll be selling.

I can't in good conscious sell this truck without properly working 4x4 and if it means a transfer case swap, I don't think I'll be selling it.....even though its been a horrible POS.

My current Rangers is having this issue:

When I put the truck in 4Hi, it kicks and bucks on gravel, I learned recently that when it goes into 4 LOW it runs fine.

This rules out the front diff, drive shaft, CV joints t-case chain. etc... It's going to be either the shift motor or the t-case shift fork.

Have anyone had this? Any thoughts?

I pulled the motor apart and cleaned it up....same thing. The lights on the dash work fine and all is well otherwise now....what is this bucking? Tires are up to pressure, fluids are fresh and topped up. Driving in a straight line. Only does it in 4 Hi

Last edited:
Does the t-case shift fork have a visible pivot point outside of the case? Is there a bushing there? I had a frustrating problem with 4HI popping in and out while wheeling with a 242 case. 4FT and 4LO worked just fine. Turns out there was a plastic bushing at the shift fork that was worn out and allowing the fork to rock back and forth.

Is yours binding in a straight line on gravel or turning or both?

Wonder if you can clamp down the shift fork somehow, maybe get creative with vise grips, to rule out the motor and wobble in the fork.

Until you said it worked in 4LO I was starting to wonder if someone swapped pumpkins on you. Maybe they did and in 4LO it's not as noticeable.

Can you pull the front driveshaft? I'm at a loss but I wonder if it still does this when it's connected. Hmm, could remove the rear driveshaft too. If it's a binding issue then removing either driveshaft would make it go away--if it's a bad transfer case then it should do the same thing in 4Hi with the rear driveshaft removed.

I'd sell the truck as "driving but with broken 4WD" w/o a thought. Granted I'd expect a loss, but if I wanted to cut my losses and run, that is what I'd do. Heck, the next guy might not care to fix--if it goes fine in 2HI maybe they'll just use it as a yard truck and never fix it. Alternatively, maybe they have hours and $$$ to fix it.

Thanks bud, that helps. I'm going to check for that.

It's actually binding in a straight line. It feels like something is skipping. I wondered if it was the t-case chain, but its fine in 4 low.

Maybe the shift fork is the answer, I think its internal though but ill take a better look. It's electronic control so I wouldn't expect it to be external.

Supton may be onto something. If the front and rear gear ratios are not the same, i could imagine it acting like this.

I know on Ranger 4x4s the shift motors go out all the time due to lack of use and corrosion. Easy fix if that's the problem. $100. Even a xfer case on those is pretty cheap. Dime a dozen in wrecking yards. I only know all this because I owned one for years.

Probably a shift fork issue or, less likely a gear going bad. I'd bet a junkyard case would fix you up nicely.

Thanks guys, Ok, with some time this weekend, I might play with the driveshafts.

I know theres a really big parts supply of Rangers up in Edmonton and they ship!

There are a few yards in Calgary as well that have them. I've never don't a Transfer case before, but I'm not a scaredy pants. lol

Appreciate the help guys. This has been a long fought battle.

Yeah, be really sure it's the fork.

I've done a few Tcase swaps on Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, not that hard. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove those dang nut-serts that hold the skid plate that's directly under the case.

If you don't have a skid plate then it's easier for you. Besides the driveshafts and shift linkage it's something like 5-10 nuts holding the case to the trans that can be taken off with a stubby box wrench. Units aren't that heavy either, I just crawl directly under them, wiggle the [censored] off and cradle them on my chest.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back