Road trip preps for a 317,280 mile truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eff the duct tape. Gorilla tape is what should be in there.

Good show on the accessories.

Go for a good jump box over the cables. I've run into too many vehicles that could not be jumped with cables that lit right off with my JNC660.

Make sure you have your triangles and/or flares. If you have a local junkyard, go there and raid the Audis. They have excellent triangles. Big and very reflective.

A good little electric air compressor and sticky strings is a good idea too. There have been a few times I have caught a screw and extracted, stuck, and filled before the tire even got flat.

Double Wasp,

Your comment about extracting something from the tire made me think of something ing else I need!

I already have a tire plug kit and plugs in the truck as well as a baby air compressor. However I don't have a pair of pliers or anything to cut the extra plug material off with. So that gets added to the list as well!

Good looking out.

Once the rain stops I'm heading outside to change the oil and grease the drivetrain and suspension.

I see you mentioned the fuel pump. That's exactly what I was going to suggest. My Chevy Suburban has 120,000 on it and I'm deciding when I'll be replacing the pump. I was stuck on the side of I-4 once at MLK Blvd because of a failed fuel pump. Not looking to do that again.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I see you mentioned the fuel pump. That's exactly what I was going to suggest. My Chevy Suburban has 120,000 on it and I'm deciding when I'll be replacing the pump. I was stuck on the side of I-4 once at MLK Blvd because of a failed fuel pump. Not looking to do that again.

I actually don't intend to replace the fuel pump, hopefully it doesn't bite me. As of right now I'm confident that the pump is still serviceable. I'm not sure what my prectical limit for the life of the pump is, maybe 400,000? 350,000? I'm not sure. Perhaps I will just run it to failure and know for sure how long they last. I can tell you that without a doubt if it ever does die it will certainly be replaced with a genuine Toyota part!

Nothing, you missed nothing. Give it a nice wash and shine the tires if you feel like it otherwise drive! Judging by the background of the vehicle it sounds like it is in excellent shape with a lot of work done to it. Get some good tunes and enjoy the roadtrip

You said that you have spare belts but don't forget to keep an idler bearing or pulley also. Take it from a Toyota truck guy, when a belt goes it's usually because an idler bearing goes. Some pulleys have a snap ring holding the bearing in and some are crimped so I just keep a complete new pulley along with belts in my truck.

I'm hooked. I drove the Borman6 down to NC, TN, for gatherings starting in '02-08 2Kmiles round trip . I carried all kinds of stuff and never needed any of it except for some oil. Please post a follow up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
gun.
grin.gif

That goes without saying, it's like my American Express, never leave home without it...

All that being said, had a little pre trip shakedown this past week evacuating for Hurricane Matthew, about 1,000 miles on it now since I started this thread. All is well, no issues to report. Truck will be getting an alignment and 4 tires while I'm home in Michigan. Other than that it's ready to go I think!

Originally Posted By: andyd
I'm hooked. I drove the Borman6 down to NC, TN, for gatherings starting in '02-08 2Kmiles round trip . I carried all kinds of stuff and never needed any of it except for some oil. Please post a follow up.
grin2.gif

Will do, I will probably just post updates in this thread. I'm planning on hitting the road tomorrow sometime after work. First leg will be Jacksonville to Detroit (1,000 mi) then pressing on to the Upper Peninsula (500 mi) a few days later.

Valve cover bolts on my 4Runner like to wiggle themselves loose. Thermostat also goes every 100k or so. Great vehicles other than rust prone.

The 3.0/3.4 V-6 and 2.4/2.7 4 cylinder engines seem to love to loose torque on the Valve cover bolts. Luckily I haven't had an issue with this on my 22RE. Thermostat was done about 65k ago with a factory Toyota one, seems healthy according to my AutoMeter gauges, runs bang on the advertised 182 degrees.

Kicking off the road trip tomorrow as soon as I can sneak out of work and come home to pick up my guns, the military frown on me bringing them to work even though I fly with one, go figure...

Will post updates here, tools and spare things mentioned in this thread are all loaded, truck got suspension and drivetrain greased fresh this evening.

Starting mileage should be in the 318,225 ballpark. Will likely be knocking on the door of 322,000 by the time I get home. I'm excited to get it out on the road and stretch its legs.

Well the first day is in the books. Currently crashing for the night in Kentucky and will press on to Detroit in the morning. So far so good. According to the GPS I've logged 663.5 miles since I pulled out of the driveway today. Atlanta traffic set me back about two hours I was hoping to be a bit further north today but oh well. First tank of fuel was 21.92 MPG second tank included the 2 hours fighting Atlanta traffic and was 23.10 MPG.

Well day two is in the books! So far the only casualty is a dash back light bulb that decided to burn out. No real worries there it's easy to change if I decide to even bother messing with it before I get back to Florida however I must admit it's really annoying.

Day two recap. Southern Kentucky to West of Detroit Michigan where I'll be visiting family for a few days before heading to the Upper Peninsula to do some 4 wheeling and work around the property.

Total trip miles so far 1112.1
Hours driven: 18:25

First fill up of day 2: 22.52 MPG from central Tennessee through the smoky mountains to the northern Kentucky Ohio border.

Second fill up of day 2: Northern Kentucky to my family's house West of Detroit 24.91 MPG.

Truck has used no oil so far, well save for what I've soaked up on a rag wiping the dipstick lol, down the highway it's been running 80# of oil pressure and 182 F. All good so far!

The next few days will be spent tooling around the metro Detroit area. Will update before the second leg of my trip next week.

Well my time in Metro Detroit is done for now, tomorrow morning I will be fueling up and heading further North to the Upper Peninsula. I will update in the morning total trip mileage before I head out. So far so good with the truck, it seems to be running well and it hasn't consumed any oil so far with about 2300 miles on this OCI thus far. Truck has an appointment Friday to get a new set of Michelin tires installed and have the front end aligned. Like I mentioned I will update tomorrow morning on my way out of town!

Off we go, trip total thus far 1390.0 truck mileage 319,555. Driving in Metro Detroit yielded a gas mileage of 20.4 about 80/20 highway/city. Not much else to report, time to get some miles under my belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back