Road trip planning. Need sightseeing advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I-70 though the Colorado mountains in and of itself is a very spectacular drive. Instead of staying in Denver, you could stay in Summit County. Not cheap, but a cabin next to Dillion Reservoir isn't too far off the beaten path. There's tons of great camping spots in the area as well.

Death Valley will be an inferno in July. You definitely don't want to camp there.

S. Utah desert is also neat, but the heat & dry air will leave you feeling weak and parched, especially after hiking.

Several of your locations/hiking/camping spots are in desert areas during late July/early August. You might want to rethink that, especially with a girlfriend!

White Sands NM is also cool to see. You'll get sunburned underneath your chin, the bottom of your ear lobes and underneath your nose! It'll be about 115° during the day at that time of year. You need a really good sense of direction (and a compass) to as once you walk far enough into the dunes, everywhere you look, looks the same. Very easy to get confused and lost.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Death Valley will be an inferno in July. You definitely don't want to camp there.

S. Utah desert is also neat, but the heat & dry air will leave you feeling weak and parched, especially after hiking.

Several of your locations/hiking/camping spots are in desert areas during late July/early August. You might want to rethink that, especially with a girlfriend!

White Sands NM is also cool to see. You'll get sunburned underneath your chin, the bottom of your ear lobes and underneath your nose! It'll be about 115° during the day at that time of year. You need a really good sense of direction (and a compass) to as once you walk far enough into the dunes, everywhere you look, looks the same. Very easy to get confused and lost.

Thank you! We have both not been to any of these locations. I'm just trying to pick them out as they are on our way to San Fran. The more help the better!

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Once I finalize my leaving date and lay out the plan I'll start reserving sites. Most likely in the next few weeks. If I'm unable to get a site then I'll stay somewhere and travel to the park.

I'm starting to think I won't have enough time in the 2 weeks I'll have to truly enjoy and take in all the sights.

2 weeks isn't much time.

We took over a week, my girlfriend and I, just to travel from my brothers place in Breckenridge, CO up to Mt. Rushmore.

The drive was half the fun. We took a less traveled route, miles and miles of wide open country, cruising at 100 mph, very other few cars on the road lot of scenic places to stop for pictures as we made our way into the Black Hills. Mind you, this was around Labor day 12 years ago and gas was $1.03 a gal.

Visited Mt. Rushmore, really impressive in person, saw some big white mountain goats in the parking lot, drove around the Black Hills area, played with a herd of Buffalo in Custer State Park, again practically had the place to ourselves. Drove out to the Badlands, (sort of a small Grand Canyon in South Dakota).
Went on to Deadwood, (that was a bore, don't waste your time).

Wanted to go to Devils Tower but had to get back to work.

We didn't make any reservations, just drove until I saw a decent looking motel/hotel and checked in.

Colorado I-70 Mountains/Summit County as "Drew99Gt" mentioned is nice too. That could be another trip altogether and summer is the off season up there.

I've updated list of places to stay. I've removed most hotel stays and focused on camping at state parks.

Updated trip

You'll like Sunset Crater. It U dropped down to Flagstaff, hit 40E U could pick up Meteor Crater (worth seeing) and Then back North past Shiprock and back on your course north. Just a suggestion.

I'm vacationing vicariously through your road trip plans here. There have been a lot of good suggestions and concerns raised, but maybe we could be more helpful if you clarify some things.

Is your girlfriend REALLY on board with camping out every night? Or is she the type who might like a shower and a bed every couple nights?

What are your interests? Do you like to just drive through, and pull over now and then to snap a picture? Or do you like to stay in an area and explore a little with short hikes or time at touristy shops and restaurants?

Sleddriver definitely makes a point about the heat. Your first itinerary had more time in the relatively cooler high country. I would probably go straight from the Black Hills to Yellowstone and the Tetons, and then take I-80 through Reno to SF. You'll still see a lot of redrock country on the way back with your second plan.

Some of the travel will take longer than you think. (zoom in on your map and click satellite to get a sense of the terrain on secondary roads.) National park speed limits are generally 45mph, and a lot of the smaller ones are off the beaten path. Rather than going straight through, you can take most of a day to get in, look around, and then drive back out. Even on the plain old highways or backroads, you'll want to pull over often and take pictures.

Any way you go, this will be an awesome trip.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I'm vacationing vicariously through your road trip plans here. There have been a lot of good suggestions and concerns raised, but maybe we could be more helpful if you clarify some things.

Is your girlfriend REALLY on board with camping out every night? Or is she the type who might like a shower and a bed every couple nights?

What are your interests? Do you like to just drive through, and pull over now and then to snap a picture? Or do you like to stay in an area and explore a little with short hikes or time at touristy shops and restaurants?

Sleddriver definitely makes a point about the heat. Your first itinerary had more time in the relatively cooler high country. I would probably go straight from the Black Hills to Yellowstone and the Tetons, and then take I-80 through Reno to SF. You'll still see a lot of redrock country on the way back with your second plan.

Some of the travel will take longer than you think. (zoom in on your map and click satellite to get a sense of the terrain on secondary roads.) National park speed limits are generally 45mph, and a lot of the smaller ones are off the beaten path. Rather than going straight through, you can take most of a day to get in, look around, and then drive back out. Even on the plain old highways or backroads, you'll want to pull over often and take pictures.

Any way you go, this will be an awesome trip.

My girlfriend is really on board and enjoys outdoor activities. We have been camping before with no issues.

We previously took a 2 week road trip together and traveled to OK city, Memphis, Dallas, Lawrence Ks, and my alma mater Eastern Il Univ. It was 2500 miles and we worked out a good driving system. We use a computer loaded with movies and switch often.

We are leaving on July 24th, and must be in Sonoma Valley on Aug 1st/2nd. We are then free till mid August.

I'm starting to see that we may not have enough time to see everything.....So everyone's help is appreciated.

I hope to drive through some places, but stay a full day or two in those MUST SEE parks/locations.

My girlfriend is really on board and enjoys outdoor activities. We have been camping before with no issues.

Sounds like a good girlfriend, when are going to make an honest woman out of her?
36.gif

I finally checked South Dakota off of my list in 2010 (long story short, I've been trying to get there since 1998 and things kept coming up). Rushmore was a nice stop, and Crazy Horse is not too far away. I managed to get there (Crazy Horse) on a "blast day" so that was an extra show. Badlands and Devils Tower impressed me much more than I expected and are well worth at least a stop if you can't manage a camp-out.

As for Wall Drug, meh. Stop in if you want a bumper sticker or need a rest stop, but it's tourist-trap cubed IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back