Death Valley trip

Sue and I made a three day road trip to Death Valley earlier this month. Fortunately for us there was a cool front in the area and daytime highs never exceeded 80 degrees. We stayed at the Inn at Death Valley, $525 per night. :oops: The grounds and facility were very nice but the place was lifeless and lacked any sort of energy. I'd say occupancy was about 25%. My $69 ribeye our first night there was something you'd expect from a Denny's. The next two nights we ate at The Saloon in Furnace Creek which was much better - and less expensive.

We drove to Death Valley from the west via Ridgecrest (58 to 14 to 179 to 190). We hit all the usual tourist spots; Badwater, Zabriske Point, etc. We left heading east (190 to 127 to I-15). On our way out we drove through Amargosa. The hotel is still in operation and the rooms are not cheap! We came across a graveyard on our travels, many of them not even having named headstones. Made us wonder how many of the people buried there were murdered back in the old days. Being a California boy I've never had much respect for San Bernadino County, but let me tell you driving through the northeastern corner is every bit as spectacular as Death Valley.

Word of warning to EV drivers. There are just four chargers in all of Death Valley and they're not superchargers. Even when driving a gasser you can feel pangs of range anxiety. The charger at the Inn had a Tesla parked there all three days, never moving. I can't imagine that's proper etiquette. I'm not throwing stones at the EV crowd, I'm just giving you a heads up.

Anyway, it was a good trip. A few pics for your enjoyment.

Scott

Edit: As an aside I am signed up for the Death Valley Century on November 18th. I am a highly experienced long distance cyclist but after visiting there I decided not to ride it. It's simply too far out in the middle of nowhere. Although that kind of riding is what I do best, doing it at age 70 is probably not a good idea. Have any sort of physical malfunction and, even if airlifted, it would be hours before you got to a hospital.

IMG_7367.jpeg
IMG_7775.jpeg
IMG_7773.jpeg
IMG_7370.jpeg
IMG_7784.jpeg
IMG_7792.jpeg
IMG_7791.jpeg
IMG_7794.jpeg
IMG_7798.jpeg
IMG_7802.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like everyone East of the Mississippi to take carful notice of the OP's first picture-then multiple that for a few 100 miles-that's the desolation out west......in one particular section. There are many, many more.

I'd like everyone East of the Mississippi to take carful notice of the OP's first picture-then multiple that for a few 100 miles-that's the desolation out west......in one particular section. There are many, many more.
Even my house is " in the boonies" compared to most places. This is looking west from my porch.

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_163334139.jpg
    IMG_20230521_163334139.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 38
Even my house is " in the boonies" compared to most places. This is looking west from my porch.
I just bring it up because of the knocking of SAT radio-or why driving a 300,000 mile beater is probably not a good idea to travel through these parts. Needless to say-one's cellphone is utterly useless. Once you cross the Mississippi-there is "no middle of nowhere".

Yes indeed! This picture is from CKN's state of Utah. You can drive for hundreds of miles in any direction and be out in the middle of nowhere. No gas, no water, no cellphone service, no nothing.

And even though the second picture was taken about 20 miles civilization, look closely at the road going through Zion. Mere words cannot describe the beauty of Zion NP. It's otherworldly there!!! I encourage everyone to put it on their bucket list.

Scott

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.04.59 PM.jpeg
IMG_7014.jpeg

Last edited:
We took the route from Baker, CA through DV and out towards Ridgecrest. The road S/E of Badwater is extremely desolate. We saw maybe a couple cars the whole way after entering the park. Many more people after Badwater on the way to the visitors center etc. Tons of dirt/off road trails. It's a must see at least once. The silence is very odd. No background noise you are used to. No birds, no trees, nothing.

We took the route from Baker, CA through DV and out towards Ridgecrest. The road S/E of Badwater is extremely desolate. We saw maybe a couple cars the whole way after entering the park. Many more people after Badwater on the way to the visitors center etc. Tons of dirt/off road trails. It's a must see at least once. The silence is very odd. No background noise you are used to. No birds, no trees, nothing.
Exactly. The funny thing is that many people think California is nothing more than a crowed mass of humans. It's not. Besides the DV region, drive to far northern California, especially the northeast corner. It as desolate as DV. The only thing different is the climate and the vegetation.

The night sky and stars in these remote areas is unreal.

Scott

Last edited:
Exactly. The funny thing is that many people think California is nothing more than a crowed mass of humans. It's not. Besides the DV region, drive to far northern California, especially the northeast corner. It as desolate as DV. The only thing different is the climate and the vegetation.

The night sky and stars in these remote areas is unreal.

Scott
Just did the road trip to the redwoods up near crescent city in February. It gets very desolate up there too. Especially at night. We took some less traveled routes and there was no one on the road. I think it was the 20 connecting the 101 to ft Bragg. Nice drive trough the woods with next to no one around. Going up the 1 out of Ft Bragg is a nice secluded drive too.

Yes indeed! This picture is from CKN's state of Utah. You can drive for hundreds of miles in any direction and be out in the middle of nowhere. No gas, no water, no cellphone service, no nothing.

And even though the second picture was taken about 20 miles civilization, look closely at the road going through Zion. Mere words cannot describe the beauty of Zion NP. It's otherworldly there!!! I encourage everyone to put it on their bucket list.

Scott

View attachment 157432View attachment 157434
Everyone should visit our "Big 5" National Parks!

Back