Road race oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said 65-70 psi is the by-pass setting for a lot of NA built engines for Chrysler, GM and Ford.
If you're familiar with Chevy's then you know 55 psi is all the OP you need.
I've never seen a by-pass setting above 120 psi in any car and I've never seen a test spec' above 75 psi at elevated rev's.

That's probably why my big block blown stroker with 850 hp has about 75 psi at 6000 rpm with amsoil dominator 15w-50 in it.

We have a 3rd generation machine shop in this family and pressure is only one side of the question. Volume carries equal weight with us.

With the big bearing clearances that you need for a big power motor all this 'x psi per y rpm' is a little funny. The OP is running a small displacement V6 that is not really a powerhouse. He needs good protection, not 15 psi per 1k rpm.

OP: get thee some dominator, it's made for the track and wins races all the time. Makes a bit more power, too. Comes in 3 grades, I'd try them all. Get that oil temp logged as well. It's another part of the question here.

I know...I know.

I just told you that you were smarter than I.
As an FAA licensed aircraft Mechanic & Mechanical Engineer I qualify you as smarter than I.

Why argue with someone that is in agreement with you?

Originally Posted By: Promo
You have the red Camaro right? I believe I was behind you a couple of times, not sure if it was waterford or grattan but if it's the same car I'm thinking of it had a deafeningly loud pop between shifts. lol first time I heard it I thought I blew a tire.

I believe Ken's trying to get a group going for Race Rochester, I'm there every Friday or Saturday around 9pm. You should join us, I won't be there this weekend though.

No, I'm in the pewter-colored Camaro.

GrattenAugust6and72011058.jpg

Is that you?

282155_10150334451637238_727057237_9516816_1256228_n.jpg

This is me. haha

am I the only one that noticed the OP thinks you guys suggested a Straight 40 weight? Do they even make that anymore?

OP: they are suggesting Mobil 1 0w40

I say redline 5w30 for this engine.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's me in the mousy-brown Camaro. Too bad all those cars look like they're ready to pass me. No, Wait! I just passed them. Yeah, that's it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
A_H, how much higher is the OP in your Z28 with the RL 5W-30 vs the 5W-30 M1 you used to run?

I saw about a 5psi increase in oil pressure at hot idle with the RL.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yeah, that's me in the mousy-brown Camaro. Too bad all those cars look like they're ready to pass me. No, Wait! I just passed them. Yeah, that's it.

Stu passed Kenny in an MKZ at Mid-Ohio. When it rains nobody is at their best on that track, except for that silver EVO. That guy was getting sideways going INTO the esses and was pushing the car so hard I couldn't believe he hadn't gone off. Great driver. The EVO's also high 4xx or 5xx awhp I believe. It moves.
I went out the first time in the rain on a set of [censored] BFG's and I spun out about 3 times before calling it quits and heading back in, tires couldn't grip for [censored], I wasn't ready for the rain. The next day I had the Hoosier R6's on, I've never had so much fun before. :p

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
am I the only one that noticed the OP thinks you guys suggested a Straight 40 weight? Do they even make that anymore?

OP: they are suggesting Mobil 1 0w40

I say redline 5w30 for this engine.

Yeah I just got that.. speed reading ftw.

I was on Kumho Ecsta XS's at Grattan. Not good in the rain, so I was just hanging on during the wet session. I rode with the guy in the red Camaro later on, and he had Goodyear Eagle F1's on. Way better in the rain. Now I've bought another set of wheels and a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS's to be ready for our next day of hydroplaning.

How did you get a roof the same color as the rest of the body, repaint?
confused2.gif

I guess the (VERY) limited rain use does not justify the cost of a set of wheels with full-depth, Hoosier DOT Wets on them, huh? (Not to mention how quickly they burn themselves up, even in full monsoon conditions.
frown.gif
)

I had the Chevy dealer repaint the roof from black to light pewter metallic before I took delivery. I didn't like the black-roof-only-on-Z28's thing that GM implemented in the last model year. I ordered the car in pewter because I liked the way it looked on the Camaro body, and I like my cars in colors that blend in with the crowd. Since I speed occasionally, Arrest Me Red would not be good.

I actually did quite a bit of study on Tire Rack's web site before picking the Conti DWS's. I reviewed all of their tire test data for 275-40-17 tires, looking only at performance in the wet. The Conti's won one comparison test going away, and finished a close second in another one. The price of the Hoosier wets stopped me cold. I was looking for the best performance for the dollar. Also, with a set of wheel adapters, I can run them on the Corvette.

A_H, how much higher is the OP in your Z28 with the RL 5W-30 vs the 5W-30 M1 you used to run?

Thanks, so what is the actual hot OP in psi at idle and at high rev's with the RL vs M1?

I had the Chevy dealer repaint the roof from black to light pewter metallic before I took delivery. I didn't like the black-roof-only-on-Z28's thing that GM implemented in the last model year.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks the above (it's the ONLY reason I ordered mine in black, as I wanted silver sans the black roof)!!

BTW; it was not a last model year only thing, as ALL LS1 4th gen Z28s/SSes, and I believe even the last two model years of the LT1 Zs/SSes could ONLY be had this way.
frown.gif

(Probably should have gotten the silver and had the dealer respray the roof as you did, in hindsight.)

Thanks, so what is the actual hot OP in psi at idle and at high rev's with the RL vs M1?

Out on the track with the engine running about 235F coolant temperature, the M1 ran about 40 psi at the end of long straights at ~5000rpm. Under similar conditions, RL runs about 45 psi. My numbers are approximate because the pressure gauge only has markings of 20, 40, 60, and 80 psi. I used to fret about why my track cars have a hard time topping 40 psi oil pressure, but after years of seeing them survive, I've gotten more comfortable with it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I had the Chevy dealer repaint the roof from black to light pewter metallic before I took delivery. I didn't like the black-roof-only-on-Z28's thing that GM implemented in the last model year.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks the above (it's the ONLY reason I ordered mine in black, as I wanted silver sans the black roof)!!

BTW; it was not a last model year only thing, as ALL LS1 4th gen Z28s/SSes, and I believe even the last two model years of the LT1 Zs/SSes could ONLY be had this way.
frown.gif

(Probably should have gotten the silver and had the dealer respray the roof as you did, in hindsight.)

Was there a time when a body-colored roof could be ordered as an option on LS1 cars?

Was there a time when a body-colored roof could be ordered as an option on LS1 cars?

I've heard a possible rumor that this could be opted for in '98, maybe '99, but NEVER had this confirmed/substantiated by anyone.

GM Boy, are you on here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back