Road hazard "gotcha"

Last week my wife had a flat where the tire was unserviceable. I went to a local independent shop that I'd used before and they said they could have me going with an exact replacement tire in three hours. Fine
When I got home I checked my receipts and the tire had a one year manufacturers road hazard warranty and it was only seven months old. They did not sell my the original tire. Their response was that they don't get involved with warranty issues and the also not a franchised retailer of that brand.
On Friday I'm meeting with the service manager of the shop that sold me the original tire on another issue and will talk it over with him. If there's no resolution I'm calling and raise a stink

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...

1) You have to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer of that make tire, and I'd call ahead to see if they have it in stock.

2) If they told you they had an "exact replacement", I'd have an issue with that as it isn't really that to just slap the same size of some other tire on. Even so, once you pay the bill it's an acceptance of service so I doubt you can get any recourse on that now.

Did you mention to that shop that the tire had road hazzard and you wanted a replacement tire free from that? It's a crucial issue, if you stated that and what their response was.

Was it at least the same type of tire? Best handling is achieved with a similar traction tire, especially if vehicle is old enough that it doesn't have ABS.

I agree that you can't expect a refund from the shop that sold you the new tire unless you can make an argument for #2 above, that it wasn't the exact replacement that should have been covered under warranty. What you might expect instead, is to get a new, free tire as a spare, IF you have the old tire instead of letting the shop dispose of it.

It is not uncommon for some tire dealers not to do warranty of any kind. Personally, I think that is a good way to lose business.

Yes, warranty work is the opposite of profitable, and it's a pain with lots of different procedures to follow, tires to return, etc. - BUT - if the customer leaves satisfied, then it creates "Goodwill" which is almost priceless. Notice how our OP reacted.

It is not uncommon for some tire dealers not to do warranty of any kind. Personally, I think that is a good way to lose business.
I could be wrong, but it seems like tire shops have access to just about any brand and type of tire they want. Every auto-repair or tire shop I drive past seems to have a tire "distributor" truck in their parking lot at one time or another that probably stocks every brand. Sure, there are "authorized" dealers but that doesn't mean "Jimmy's Tires" can't sell and install tires that they aren't authorized to sell.

The shop that helped the OP's wife out did nothing wrong.

Last week my wife had a flat where the tire was unserviceable.
You don't mention if you still have that tire. If you do, it would seem logical that you bring it along with the receipt to the store that sold you the tire, and they replace it according to the warranty. I would assume it will be pro-rated based on the amount of tread left so you will have to pay something. If you don't have the tire, you're out of luck.

Back