RLI Biosysn 10w40 Homebrew - GMC Canyon 2.8 Duramax - 7600 mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time trying RLIs products. This is a 50/50 blend of the Biosyn HD CJ-4 10w30 and 15w40 + 2% (4oz) of the booster pak. I sent in a VOA last year for a baseline. Here is the thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w-bio-synxtra-hd-low-ash-voa#Post4742981

I fuel this truck mostly with Renewable DIesel. All but 2 fill ups were the Propel HPR product sold only here in CA.Truck has given an average of 23.8 combined MPGs on this OCI. This fuel burns extremely clean and the oil takes quite awhile to get dark when changed. My truck has all emissions system intact and is still under warranty.

Where is the Manganese coming from? It's not present in the VOA and other wear metals are low so I don't think it's related to wear. Does anybody have a guess?

I also started using a new diesel fuel additive, mixed @ 400:1 and wondering if it contains a manganese compound. Since there is 2% FD it seems likely but I'm cluless!

The magnesium discrepancy is residual from Delvac,

Filter is OEM AcDelco. Ran 400 miles past reaching 0% on the OLM.
Did some moderate towing/hauling at the end of the OCI. 5k Lbs for about 300 miles.

What I like about this oil:

Strong oil pressure. Even after 7600 miles, shearing to a 30wt and had ~ 2% FD, I still had 20 PSI at idle which is better than fresh Delvac 5w40.
No top end noise at startup like with Delvac.
Low consumption. Consumption was less than 1/2 a quart.
Low wear numbers.

What I don't like:

Cost. Kinda expensive. $60 per oil change.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Very nice! I which Propel HPR was over here on the east coast. It just goes to show, a high quality fuel can be made, just big oil is to greedy. To me most of our issues is the quality of our fuel. This to me is proof.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Very nice! I which Propel HPR was over here on the east coast. It just goes to show, a high quality fuel can be made, just big oil is to greedy. To me most of our issues is the quality of our fuel. This to me is proof.

Yeah I like Renewable Diesel, however it feels like there is less low end TQ when driving part throttle and less MPGs. Top end power feels good or maybe better than D2. It's a recycled product so availability isn't as great as fossil fuels and it's subsidized by CA. The wholesale cost minus subsidies is probably higher than D2.

The measured soot value of 0.1% is really impressive @ 7600 miles. The 2.8 has a relatively small oil sump so oil contaminants will appear more concentrated when compared to other light duty applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Why would one add the Booster pack if this oil already contains AntimonyDTC?

Because I had (2) 8 oz bottles of booster pak that I purchased a year before. I wouldn't add any otherwise, just trying to use it up. Don't plan on getting any more.

Originally Posted by wensteph
What's the new fuel additive? An RLI product?

Started using it at the beginning of the OCI. https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-fl.aspx

I found some scientific reasearch papers about testing an organic manganese diesel additive which acts as a combustion catalyst. Thinking this may be the source in the sample.

Ok so I talked to Amalgamated today and they said their additive may contribute a "trace" of manganese to the sample leg but not 30 ppm.

So now I'm clueless about where it came from. I've also been running the TDR-FL it in my ‘03 TDI for about 5k miles so when I get that sample sent in it should be interesting to see if manganese shows up. Until then I'll just assume it was contamination unless the trend continues.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Ok so I talked to Amalgamated today and they said their additive may contribute a "trace" of manganese to the sample leg but not 30 ppm.

So now I'm clueless about where it came from. I've also been running the TDR-FL it in my ‘03 TDI for about 5k miles so when I get that sample sent in it should be interesting to see if manganese shows up. Until then I'll just assume it was contamination unless the trend continues.

Maybe a "trace" (whatever that is - as 10, 20 or 30 ppm are arguably very small amounts) with no fuel dilution. But with 2% fuel dilution, guessing they would say more than a trace is possible???

Keep in mind that manganese is toxic.

As a reference point, those using iron based fuel additives (Enerburn) in powerstroke diesels as a catalyst have typically been seeing 30-60 ppm additional iron in their UOAs.

See also:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4962296/uoa-high-manganese

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja
Originally Posted by CleverUserName

Maybe a "trace" (whatever that is - as 10, 20 or 30 ppm are arguably very small amounts) with no fuel dilution. But with 2% fuel dilution, guessing they would say more than a trace is possible???

Keep in mind that manganese is toxic.

As a reference point, those using iron based fuel additives (Enerburn) in powerstroke diesels as a catalyst have typically been seeing 30-60 ppm additional iron in their UOAs.

See also:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4962296/uoa-high-manganese

I mentioned the 30 ppm and 2% FD to the engineer at amalgamated and he was unequivocal about it. He even said "It's not from us".

I also read about MMT but as far as I know that isn't used in diesel fuel additives. However there was an organic manganese diesel additive being tested in the research papers I found online.

I do think it is residual from the TDR-FL and the UOA I run on my VW in a few months will confirm or deny the hypothesis. I don't see any other possibility unless the sample got contaminated at the lab.

I used TDR-FL for awhile in a 3.0L TDI. I tried to see if I had a UOA from when I used it, but no luck. Amalgamated is an interesting additive to me; I like the articles and papers they write, but then that is their sales pitch. Lubrizol was one of the first additive formulators 5 years ago or so that talked about internal injector deposits and touted their 9040 zer0 additive. Amalgamated was the only additive blender that used the Lubrizol language verbatim in their ad, but I couldn't confirm that was the additive they used. Still don't know. I was always more interested in injector and CC cleaning ability than lubricity.

Originally Posted by wensteph
I used TDR-FL for awhile in a 3.0L TDI. I tried to see if I had a UOA from when I used it, but no luck. Amalgamated is an interesting additive to me; I like the articles and papers they write, but then that is their sales pitch. Lubrizol was one of the first additive formulators 5 years ago or so that talked about internal injector deposits and touted their 9040 zer0 additive. Amalgamated was the only additive blender that used the Lubrizol language verbatim in their ad, but I couldn't confirm that was the additive they used. Still don't know. I was always more interested in injector and CC cleaning ability than lubricity.

Yeah me too. Cleaning and top end/injector lubricity is why I use additives. It does have a big shot of 2EHN too but in my case it doesn't do anything as HPR already has a high cetane number. It does appear to be very concentrated for what you get. A good value compared to other additives.

It has given me a slight MPG improvement as well. Smells a lot like Stanadyne PF, however PF never gave me any mysterious manganese residuals. I will continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back