2017 GMC 2.8 Duramax ATX - 9700 Mile OCI - Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4

Truck has 45K miles and I'm the original owner.

Longest OCI so far. Oil was old at 1.50 years it needed to be changed.

SOOT! This truck always had extremely low soot production and burned clean with Amalgamated TDR-FL additive. Not sure what is causing this but these are possibilities:

• I got the forced ECM update from GM. CA DMV would not renew my 2022 registration with out it and made me send "Proof" from the dealership is was completed. Dead pedal is gone and throttle response is better than it was.
  • Used Costco B5 mostly through this run w/ additive @ every fill up.
Other upgrades during this interval included the Titan 36 gallon tank and Eibach coil-overs/shocks and Eibachs w/ add-a-leaf in the rear. 3" lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear. Mostly level now.

Surprisingly the 2-3% fuel dilution I always had is gone now. Fuel economy is about 0.2-0.5 MPGs lower on average before the new tune and lift.

Overall I suspect the dramatic soot increase and absence of fuel dilution is the new tune file from GM.

This is the OLD version of Delvac that had Group IV and V, 2015 stock I got from pep boys for $8 gal after rebate.

y0wLgKB.jpg

Likely more EGR function in the latest software calibration is your culprit. You can add a bypass filter to help keep the soot out if you so choose. Other than that, check for a trend. See if high soot continues or is a fluke.

In my mind 0.7% soot is not bad. I know its apples to oranges but my ISB6.7 with full emissions was around that 0.5 to 0.6% soot in 24,000km index. Some towing but lots of cold starts and idling as well. It really comes down to what the engine manufacturer specs as condemnation foe example, Cummins specced 3%.

In my mind 0.7% soot is not bad. I know its apples to oranges but my ISB6.7 with full emissions was around that 0.5 to 0.6% soot in 24,000km index. Some towing but lots of cold starts and idling as well. It really comes down to what the engine manufacturer specs as condemnation foe example, Cummins specced 3%.

All my other UOAs on this truck were Soot < 0.1 % at ~ 8000 miles. It was lower than what they could measure with the IR test.

Less than 0.1% to 0.7% is a huge increase and I believe it was a real number because the oil sample was much darker than normal.

Overall this looks like a great run on this oil. Are you going to run the same oil again? It looks like a really good add pack.

Overall this looks like a great run on this oil. Are you going to run the same oil again? It looks like a really good add pack.

I have quite a few gallons left, I stocked up when it was $8 gallon as I'm an oil hoarder. It is the old CJ-4 formula that did not contain Molybdenum. It was a solid product and had premium ingredients, the current D1 ESP is a downgrade IMO and won't be buying any.

The antimony is residual from the Biosyn HD which I ran for a few years.

I have quite a few gallons left, I stocked up when it was $8 gallon as I'm an oil hoarder. It is the old CJ-4 formula that did not contain Molybdenum. It was a solid product and had premium ingredients, the current D1 ESP is a downgrade IMO and won't be buying any.

The antimony is residual from the Biosyn HD which I ran for a few years.
Is this in a half ton or Colorado?

SOOT! This truck always had extremely low soot production and burned clean with Amalgamated TDR-FL additive. Not sure what is causing this but these are possibilities:

• I got the forced ECM update from GM. CA DMV would not renew my 2022 registration with out it and made me send "Proof" from the dealership is was completed. Dead pedal is gone and throttle response is better than it was.
Other upgrades during this interval included the Titan 36 gallon tank and Eibach coil-overs/shocks and Eibachs w/ add-a-leaf in the rear. 3" lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear. Mostly level now.

Surprisingly the 2-3% fuel dilution I always had is gone now. Fuel economy is about 0.2-0.5 MPGs lower on average before the new tune and lift.

Overall I suspect the dramatic soot increase and absence of fuel dilution is the new tune file from GM.

This is the OLD version of Delvac that had Group IV and V, 2015 stock I got from pep boys for $8 gal after rebate.

y0wLgKB.jpg
I’d say very nice report. Thank You for soot info and additional info sir 👍🇺🇸🇨🇦

This is the OLD version of Delvac ESP that had Group IV and V, 2015 stock I got from pep boys for $8 gal after rebate.

Back