RL MT90 vs MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tadaima:
Gears are hard to get into when the engine is off as well, but once i move the shifter into gears once or twice, its smooth again.

This would be fairly normal as the syncros are not working in this situation. Not really a test of the oil. All you have done is line things up after a couple of tries, then it is easy to engage.

A thinner oil will give better changes when cold. A thicker oil may give better protection under heavy load (within spec), but in very cold weather generally change quality will suffer. The trick is to get the best combination.

There are many discussions along this line on this board.

Guru: Thanks, my experience with MT is somewhat limited. My second car was a dodge colt 88', but I wasnt anal about cars back then, so never paid attention to how things shifted. (I did when the clutch started to go out)

Then I bought and sold cars that were MT and test driven them, but this del sol is the first car I've kept for a year.

Driven several motorcycles and noticed that First gear can be harder to get into as well, just like a car.

ALSO I have one of those $15 short shifters from ebay. The bearing is suppose to be from Japan, so maybe that has something to do with it. I know having a short shifter requires a bit more effort since the leverage is decreased.

It could be because the short shifter caused a difference in the linkage orientation and thus making things shift not quite smoothly.

Drained the MTL a couple days ago with about 2,000miles on the oil and saw some shavings, not a lot, about 2 pinches.

Changed to GM Syncromesh Friction Modified oil, and haven't seen a significant difference. 1st seems a bit easier and all the other gears seems a bit smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back