Rislone vs Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nissan pickup engine,2.4 1994, and wanted to use Rislone engine treatment, with Mobil 0w-30,to help clean engine,and to quiet valves would there be any problems with this at oil change time?.BL

How many miles are on it and how long have you owned it? Do you know how well it's been maintained? If it's had regular maintainence during it's life and hasn't got too many miles, something like Rislone might not be needed.

Just type Rislone into the search feature for this section and you'll get plenty (but not too many) hits to give you the consesus on the product. I just did and the opinion isn't so good. But I wouldn't say that anyone has anything concrete to say bad about it. They just don't have any positive data to form any positive opinions. It's pretty much cornered in to the "mechanic in a can" stereotypical snake oil reputation.

If you would like to establish a data point for Rislone use ...do one OCI without it. Do a UOA. Then do two back to back OCI's with Rislone ..doing UOA's on both ..but don't publish the results until you have all three. This will partially close the doors on those who would condemn it because of increased wear numbers during just one use. If the stuff works ....or does show improvement on the third OCI over the first OCI ..you at least have that data to refer to. You don't leave as many bombs to explode when it's reviewed by the membership.

Simple rule - do not add engine oil additives to your oil unless really needed since it upsets the fine chemical balance that was engineered into your oil.If you need an oil additive perhaps the engine is on its way out? Otherwise - steer clear I have not read anything proof positive about Rislone.

For 27 years I added a quart of Rislone to every oil change. Then I saw the big Rislone thread on this site (I think it was in the Virgin Oil Analysis section) showing little if anything in the way of additives. In other words, it would dilute the additives in the rest of your oil. Comminucations with Rislone failed to give anything more than that the special component/property of Rislone won't show up in a VOA analysis. I gave it up. I really don't know, though, and it may be a very good product. I just have no evidence one way or the other. If you do the UOA suggestion above it would shed some light.

Anyway I realized the oils we have now are pretty good and if you want to clean your engine there are other products. Auto-Rx is highly rated. From what I have seen it is a good product. Before and after photos have been posted that are pretty impressive too.

Actually, IIRC, the Mobil One alone may do some cleaning--something about the nature of synthetic oils I believe. It is often recommended on this site when switching to M1 to run a shorter OCI the first time for that very reason.

I would have suggested maybe running a HDEO for a OCI like Delvac 1. I believe your engine is a KA24DE correct? Because a 40wt will have absolutely no problems in that (my friends have this motor and use Shell Helix Ultra 5W40).

quote:

Simple rule - do not add engine oil additives to your oil unless really needed since it upsets the fine chemical balance that was engineered into your oil.

His engine appears to be in need ..and the way his engine was maintained failed to provide adaquate protection for this engine.

quote:

If you need an oil additive perhaps the engine is on its way out?

As Captain Jack Sparrow said, "Good! No worries then." ..or what would he possibly have to lose?

So ..he must risk fearing the pain of death ...or not use this stuff? I could sorta rephase that to sound like: If you dare use this ..you're betting that your engine is ready to grenade.

quote:

Otherwise - steer clear I have not read anything proof positive about Rislone.

Do you have any proof negitive about it??

Very fine words to live by GMBoy. If you've owned a car from new ..that was properly engineered and cared for ...never a need for anything. The reasons that traditional "mechanic in a can" came into being is a vast number of people who DON'T have new vehicles or ones that have been poorly maintained (or were not well engineered) and have PROBLEMS.

Keep in mind that other than imperical data ..most of us don't have anything PROOF POSITIVE. Every test that the industry typically offers as proof is usually slanted to provide what they want us to see.

TallPaul has used this stuff for almost 3 decades without apparent ill effects. It's hard to prove benefit in anything where no problems were present. How can you prove that something didn't do something
dunno.gif

I too would offer that Brian use Auto-Rx to solve his problem ..but only because I've used it on a problemed engine and have seen the results. I doubt that Auto-Rx would show much on a VOA either. ..but I won't say that Rislone is inappropriate without a little more evidence.

Maybe I'm an oil additive atheist. If you can prove it ..I'll believe it ..either way.

Good points. I guess there is nothing good or bad about Rislone...so I stay away. Very nicely worded, by the way.

quote:

Originally posted by brian fix:
I have a Nissan pickup engine,2.4 1994, and wanted to use Rislone engine treatment, with Mobil 0w-30,to help clean engine,and to quiet valves would there be any problems with this at oil change time?.BL

Is youe engine dual cam or single cam?

I have a 93 Nissan p/u with the 2.4 engine. I use dino and always run 4000 to 5000 mile oil changes. Occasionally after an oil and filter change I would get a hydralic valve lifter ticking. When this happens I add about 8 ounces of Rislone from the yellow quart bottle. One drive to work and back and the lifter tick is gone. We have a lot of people on this board to bad mouth a product without ever using it. Rislone works for me. I would use it in any engine to fix a lifter tick.

Thank you all for the knowlege and advice on my Mobil1 and Rislone,,just changed it today and installed about three quarters of Risloneto the 0w30 Mobil,,then drove 40 miles and some stop and go,,,,,,,,and behold the valve noise,ticking etc was gone,engine sounds normal,, alsothe truck has 96,000 and Iam the 3rd owner,so its never seen proper oil changes...BL

I have an 87 3.0L Nissan V6 that HAD lifter tick on startup...with one lifter that took some coaching (a rev up) to quit ticking.

Have been using Mobil 10W30 synth. For the last 7K I ran 25% MMOil in it...but this didn't stop the ticking.

Last change I went with 1 qt Mobil 10W30 synth and 3 qts of 15W40 dino diesel oil. Now the lifters tick just until the pressure gauge needle starts to move...so problem solved I guess.

Engine does 5-6K miles per qt oil.

Have heard of several people with this engine having their oil changed and getting a 5W30 or other lighter oil put in and then having lifter tick problems.

I have used Rislone "add anytime" formula for years. I add it between 750-1000 miles before I change the oil. No complaints here. For the price and what it does (application must meet product design) IMO it is hard to beat. Won't find to many supporters of this product on this board but IMO few have tried it.
wink.gif

I have used auto-rx and highly recommend it for the circumstances in which it is needed.

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
I have used Rislone "add anytime" formula for years.

If you are going to use Rislone, the 15 oz "Add Anytime" is the better deal as it has (according to the folks at Rislone) the same amount of all the good stuff, just less of the base oil.

I would note, one truck that I ran for 175,000 miles with Rislone every change, toward the latter years occasionally on a cold morning would get a loud lifter tick that would go away after it warmed up. Had 5w30 in it. So Rislone did not prevent it. But the engine may have been pretty dirty. I don't think Rislone is a cleaner, so in a dirty engine it's function may be inhibited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back