RIP Tom Clancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a great author, created many characters and stories through the years. The Hunt For Red October remains my favorite (book and movie).

RIP Tom!

I'm a huge fan, and really sad. About three weeks ago, I just bought two of the more recent ones from the "Jack Ryan" universe in an effort to get caught up again! He'll be missed.

Big fan of Clancy, I wish there had been more books based on John Clark but I suppose it will never come to pass. There is a movie due out in December, (Jack Ryan- Shadow Recruit) unfortunately it is an adaptation an will likely be screwed up like the other movies were. Clancy was the biggest critic of the movies based on his novels going back to Clear and Present Danger in '94. He will be missed!

RIP
frown.gif

His first novel was his best.
I still recall it as a thrilling read.
A good writer and a true patriot.
RIP T.C.

Over the past three years, I fulfilled my desire to read all 15 Jack Ryan/John Clark novels in the order they were published. After numerous false-starts, I made it through all of them.

Very enjoyable, especially the Cold War era books. The Jack Ryan Jr. stories got a little too politically preachy for my tastes, but they still maintained all the techno-geek facts and well-researched info that made his writing so fascinating.

I was reading a Tom Clancy novel at the hospital when my first child was born. I was reading a Tom Clancy novel at the hospital when my second child was born. I figured I would be reading them for many years to come.

A big loss, for sure.

I liked his books.

However, no one is talking how the 9/11 idea should be credited to him.

The 1994 book "Debt of Honor" had a story of a pilot crashing 747 into Capitol Hill killing president and most of the government. We know that Muslim extremists started working on similar ideas soon after and the rest is history.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

No one is talking about it because any correlation between the two is absurd.

The only people who would believe such a thing are the Infowars conspiracy theory nutjobs... and they already think the WTC was brought down by bombs and it was a missile that hit the Pentagon.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

No one is talking about it because any correlation between the two is absurd.

The only people who would believe such a thing are the Infowars conspiracy theory nutjobs... and they already think the WTC was brought down by bombs and it was a missile that hit the Pentagon.

You don't mince words, do you?

Well, Tom Clancy believed it himself. Does it make him a nutjob too?

Quote:
In the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Tom Clancy commented on CNN about the very close similarity between the events in the novel and those attacks.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_of_Honor

InhalingBullets, I'm with you in wishing there were more books based on John Clark. In fact, "Without Remorse" is my all time favorite Clancy. We've lost one of the greats....

First, RIP Clancy. Top dog entertainment. He will be missed here, too.

But OMG I cannot believe anyone even tried to somehow link a novel to a real world event. With that same tenuous logic a LOT of writers could be 'implicated' in many conspiracies!

TC did the research and had some great contacts. This was why his technical descriptions of military hardware were so accurate.

Sad indeed...

Well, Tom Clancy believed it himself. Does it make him a nutjob too?

I think there's a difference between pangs of guilt or commenting on similarity versus being responsible for the idea in the first place.

Phil Zimmerman questioned his work over the years after 9/11, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back