Rip-off junkyard shipping prices

Need a control module that's about the size of a cell phone so I went to Car-part.com and contacted half a dozen sellers that had them listed for $25. The module can easily ship in an $8 Priority Mail padded envelope or go UPS Ground for $10-$12. Most of them said $25 for shipping. One quoted $20, still a rip-off, so I went with that, but now I see my card was charged for $50 total. No wonder their reputation is worse than car dealers.

Part is for a 25+ year old car so probably NLA, and even if it was A, over $600. Handling the part is one of the costs of doing business online.

Part is for a 25+ year old car so probably NLA, and even if it was A, over $600. Handling the part is one of the costs of doing business online.
It could be the shipping price is padded (pun not intended) to help pay for the handling by their personnel.

Would you rather they sell the module for $40, and charge $10 for shipping?

Thats right, and they are passing that cost to the buyer with the padded shipping cost.

What kind of module was it? If it's something that doesn't fail very often, they probably would indeed have to send a guy out into the yard to get it. As opposed to the stuff they pull immediately and keep on their shelves (head- and taillights, bumpers, seats, wheels, front core supports, etc, etc) which is the real bread-and-butter of their business. A nickel-and-dime module they sell one of every three years just wastes a guy's time for an hour, locating the part in the yard, boxing it up, etc.

About this time last year, I needed a body control module. I found one at the local U-Pull-it junkyard, and it was just $24, but I probably spent an hour searching the yard for exactly the right car, and then pulling it from underneath the dash. Not as easy at it used to be when I was younger and more flexible. We should also factor in the tools I bought (years ago), the $2 admission fee, and gas I burned to get there and back plus however much I value my time for 45 minutes of driving each way. Eventually, the $50 price you paid looks good just for its convenience.

By the way..... The module I needed sells for $106 at Rock Auto for the actual AC Delco part.

Last edited:
I agree the shipping charge was excessive, probably listed that way to get the attention of people shopping by price comparison then just pay the high ship rate because they're tired of continuing to look. Indeed they should charge $42 + $8 shipping, if they want $50 total and actual shipping cost is $8.

Whether they pull the part at a junkyard, or manufacture it, or even if it grows on trees, cost of obtaining stock is supposed to be part of the item price, not added to shipping.

It could be the shipping price is padded (pun not intended) to help pay for the handling by their personnel.

Would you rather they sell the module for $40, and charge $10 for shipping?
OMG honesty OMG ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just junkyards: When I buy GM parts on line the “shipping“ charge is WAY more than the cost of shipping. I bought two plastic sensor brackets the other day the size of a pocket knife. $29 shippng

Here are some tips for anyone who orders a part from a salvage yard, or auto dismantler that is not local to you.

After verifying that they have the part in question in their inventory, ask them if the part is ready to ship or if it has to be pulled from the donor vehicle. Also ask them to provide a breakdown of the total cost estimate. Most yards will only provide an estimate especially on parts they have that are ready to ship. Parts that are still on the vehicle may not have cost estimates as complications can obviously arise when removing said part.

Shipping these days seems to be all over the board. Yes USPS prices might be stable, but you never know when you are going to get the shipment. My experience with USPS next day mail has not been great. Lastly get a copy of the yard's warranty on all part types......electrical, mechanical, body and trim. Some yards will not provide any warranty on electrical items, and most only offer an exchange or credit on the original purchase. For trim and decorative items, shipping damage waivers are usually stated in terms and conditions.

Not just junkyards: When I buy GM parts on line the “shipping“ charge is WAY more than the cost of shipping. I bought two plastic sensor brackets the other day the size of a pocket knife. $29 shippng
We don't have an online presence. Just not enough people in my department to deal with it, there are literally 3 of us working the counter and a delivery driver. People want us to match online pricing and we will, but only with shipping included. I have been in on way too many calls and emails with the companies that run these programs to know how they work. Once you factor in shipping, the prices from a lot of the online dealer parts end up being maybe 5% off a MSRP with tax buying locally, usually actually more than if someone just walked up to their local dealer and paid MSRP over the counter. Plus if there is an issue, we will help them right there.

You could have driven yourself there, pulled the part and driven it back. I am guessing the $25 savings not worth it?

People get so bent out of shopping with shipping but don’t consider their time, fuel and energy as valuable . My wife is similar.

Boxes cost money. Packing material costs money. People to put it in the box costs money. Its not like you shipping something to your friend and you just use whatever Amazon box you have laying around.

Maybe they have to pull the part. Maybe they don't really want to ship. Junkyards have always been shady at best. Amazon taught us to expect free shipping.

The local U-pick-it charges $2 entry and they check toolboxes/bags etc when you leave so junkyard customers must be shady too.
Your getting a deal, LKQ around here is $3 to get in :eek:

Back