RIP Gary Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hr1940
Gary was a respected member of the site and his post were informative and he tried to help others. The post was pinned for over 2 weeks and that gave members enough time send condolences to the family. I am very sorry for the loss of a valued member and I hope the messages gave comfort to his family.

I hope you don't close the thread.

We all still miss Gary very much. He's a special person and has gone to a special place.

cheers3.gif

I've been asked by Gary's daughter to pass on the thanks of Gary's family for the caring and emotion that's evident here, and the companionship that Gary was given here.

Thanks to Helen for the plant, it was appreciated.

The Allan's greatly appreciated the effort of JHZR2 for attending the service for all of us.

I am shocked. I don't get on the forum much these days and missed this thread. In fact, I sent him an message this morning and then looked at his post count before doing a search. Very sad news. We have lost a few great guys here including the oil analyst in Bismark ND who ran free UOAs on several oil additives for us.

Gary gave me free AutoRx a couple years ago to run in the Aerostar and when the oil pan gasket popped out he offered to pay for the repair.

May he rest in peace.

Wow. Totally shocking. I havent been here in a while so seeing this is a stunner. It was clear Gary was a good guy who cared about others and doing the right thing. We often disagreed about certain things but Id want him getting my back in a foxhole anytime.

May he rest in peace.

Just read the entire thread. I have not been on the board for the past 3-4 months and am shocked as were many of ya'll. I agree with the Oil Filter section be re-named the "Gary Allan Filter Section" or something like that. He was that good and that informative re: oil filtration. I enjoyed doing research for him once with Auto-Rx. It was a pleasure to work with him. I wish I had been able to meet him in person. He will be sorely missed by me, especially his posts in the by-pass filter section.

RIP.

Brian

I have been away from the forum for awhile, I will say Gary Allen was a true good hearted person, sure he liked a debate, but what a fine gentleman. I think that sums it up for me, he always had time to help anyone pm, email, post whatever.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I, too, was away. When I was last in, Gary was posting away. This news floored me. He will be sorely missed.

+1

It's been several years since I was on bitog. Think I need to comment further...

Wayne

Yes, there is so much I would like to share with Gary. We had some great discussions on PMs and he helped me try to clean out the Aerostar. When the AutoRX he gave me for free to clean the Aerostar apparently caused the oil pan gasket to slip out creating a huge leak, Gary offered to pay the bill for a new gasket, which was $200. I said no way. But that is the kind of guy Gary was, always doing the right thing. Sure do miss him.

Gary was a Class Act for sure.
I often wonder when seeing some BITOG posts, what Gary might have said.
He is sadly missed.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Still I miss Gary. So shocking at the time, still a void now.
yeah pretty much
as strange as this sounds i found myself thinking about him the other day.. nowhere near a computer at the time either.

Still got e-mails and PMs from Gary that I read from time to time.

He helped me through a heap of stuff, and would be up to page 20 of the Matrix thread, having typed 9-10 of them.

I feel like real a** that I just now found out why Gary did not reply to my emails with photos from Iraq I sent him.

I wish I could have personally met this patriot.

Here is how I ran into him:

Sometime in 2008-2009 I was on my third tour in Iraq and I had a question I posted on BITOG on filtration products for a 2006 Ford Ranger (made in Thailand). This truck was a work mule as we used it for everything, from disposing of IED materials, patrolling the perimeter, parts truck in the motorpool, and to haul trash.

I had drained the oil after being there for only two weeks and only a quart came out with a tar like viscosity. I filled it with 15w-40 we had on hand for the military trucks but did not change the oil filter. Then I drain it again after 500 km, filled with same oil, and installed an oil filter from a Deere Gator. I cleaned the rotor and distributor cap and had my buddy send me MSD Heli-Core wires to replace the cracked plug wires.

Worried about the engine's previous lack of maintenance and knowing how important it was on the forward operating base I wanted to make sure it would give us trouble-free service.

The military was not able to legally buy parts for this truck through normal supply chains as it was not part of the military's official inventory.

Gary PM'd me and he went back and forth with me via email on trying to track down replacement oil and air filters as there were no English markings on the truck filters. We figured out that the Ranger's drivetrain was identical to a 1994 Mazda B2600.

He sent me two Wix air filters that were an exact match and two Amsoil EaO oil filters, and spark plugs.

Our parts clerk was able to order 12 Qts of Amsoil 15w-40 AME because it is used in small but very high-output turbocharged 3-cyl diesel generators.

I drained the oil after another 500km, filled with AME, on went the parts he sent and the truck ran smooth and never failed us.

I was able to thank him but I got busy and never got around to sending him the photos of the "care package" he sent us.

Gary was a great person that supported the troop with deeds above words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back