Ridiculous Coolant hose Clamp design

It’s surprising how well that little strip of plastic tied on holds…

I’ve got the front end off of my R56 Mini, and the things that held on tighter and didn’t break until snipped were zip ties.

Don’t assume the engineers didn’t test out that fastener type in durability testing. It’s what I’m doing now for Mercedes and we’re to let things break so they can be studied (and hopefully redesigned). That odd clamp passed their testing.

BTW, we’re also doing durability testing on Minis. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance in one as they’re electric and only go out in daytime.
It held for over 8 years but I would not consider it an ideal design. However, whoever designed this had probably no idea what rough road conditions the vehicle would see. A good bump will dislodge the fastener. I may replace both components and see if they hold tight.

You may know about realoem already, but this is where I found the part number to search. The online catalogs aren't always correct.

It's not my first rodeo with BMW. I hadn't even looked for the part because my original plan was to modify the attachment method. Not sure now and not in a hurry until I do the next oil change.

Last edited:
TEMPWIR100_BACK.jpg
Need a link to this fabulous t-shirt! Thanks!

I called it a clamp because it clamps onto the hose but in my description I made clear it's used to secure the hose so it doesn't wobble.
Substitute something similar to this, with a bolt and a couple locknuts?

Back