Ridiculous Coolant hose Clamp design

This ratcheting plastic band clamp is used to secure the lower radiator hose. The clamp has a little plastic nub that locks into a tiny receptacle at the bottom of the radiator support. It's a friction fit. If I give Moneypenny the spurs the clamp pops right out. I don't like the coolant hose banging around. I'm mulling modifications that allow me to secure the hose more reliably. Right now I'm using a handcuff zip tie.

My Chevy 5.3 has several of those in the engine compartment. On my truck they’re used on wire looms or mid hose to keep the wiring or hose from contacting a belt or pulley. You Might try to find one with a larger ‘nub’ though I would probably just stay with the zip tie if it’s working now.

Sounds like a permanent temporary solution to me, as long as the zip tie doesn't wear on the hose.
TEMPWIR100_BACK.jpg

I wonder if a new Genuine Mini/BMW clamp from would fit tighter? I have seen similar on a few BMW engines, and they don't typically come loose.

I have no shame, and the zip tie would work for me, provided it doesn't rub any hoses.

If the above is the same clamp, it may be an updated part that works better.

I wonder if a new Genuine Mini/BMW clamp from would fit tighter? I have seen similar on a few BMW engines, and they don't typically come loose.

I have no shame, and the zip tie would work for me, provided it doesn't rub any hoses.

Nice find. That is the correct part. It comes with the plastic insert that's probably worn due to age. This could be an updated part. Hard to tell because the insert is attached. As it's attached now the hose is not going anywhere.

It’s surprising how well that little strip of plastic tied on holds…

I’ve got the front end off of my R56 Mini, and the things that held on tighter and didn’t break until snipped were zip ties.

Don’t assume the engineers didn’t test out that fastener type in durability testing. It’s what I’m doing now for Mercedes and we’re to let things break so they can be studied (and hopefully redesigned). That odd clamp passed their testing.

BTW, we’re also doing durability testing on Minis. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance in one as they’re electric and only go out in daytime.

@RAR What are the requirements for durability testing? The cynic in me wants to think that a Harvard MBA is forcing engineers to design parts to only last the life of the warranty to save on material costs.

Can use a T-bolt and an added bracket.

If it were me I would just keep the hose clamp but not hulk it super tight, zipties tend to break easier with heat and when under tension.

You may know about realoem already, but this is where I found the part number to search. The online catalogs aren't always correct.

Back