How to flush P/s on mk6 jetta

Okay guys, so flushing is unheard of when it comes to the power steering system, its not that difficult, but at the same time it is. I did successfully did it. I used lubeguard complete synthetic power steering fluid, stuff is dumb expensive though. You will need 2 quarts.
And a bunch of rags.

Steps:

1. jack the front wheels up to the point where both wheels can be turned freely

2. Open hood

3. Locate the power steering reservoir

4. Locate and Open the power steering reservoir, then drain all the fluid as much as possible

5. Locate the RETURN LINE,
location.JPG

I have marked it, it is the BIG HOSE, not the small one

6. remove the clamp securing that return line, put a rag underneath that location where the plastic inlet and hose connect

7. Optional: if you happen to have the same dimension hose, a splice barb adapter, then you can hook that additional hose up to extend it into a container. If you do not have such fortunate supplies, do not worry, but you will have to suffer cramming in a gallon jug between the radiator and engine, and then putting that return hose in it (that is what I did).

8. You will need to plug that return hole in the reservoir, I used a plastic zip lock bag that is thick and secured it with a zip tie, a hose clamp would be a better option though.

9. Fill the reservoir up, do not fill the whole thing up or else it will explode everywhere into the engine bay. Fill it half way.

10. this is the scary part (kind of): turn the key for only a second or two, and shut off.

11. check reservoir, and top it off halfway

12. repeat steps 10 and 11 until the fluid coming out the return line looks clean

13. drain the reservoir, then put the return hose back on

14. fill back reservoir

15. turn steering wheel left and right , bubbles will come out, fluid level may go low, top the fluid back up and repeat process until there is no more fluid going back into the system

16. put the steering wheel reservoir dipstick back on, remember to check the level.

I just connect the MityVac to the return line and suck the old fluid out. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and suck it through. Let the reservoir drain low at the end so you don't make too big a mess reconnecting the return line. Fill the reservoir and start the engine to bleed off any air.

I just connect the MityVac to the return line and suck the old fluid out. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and suck it through. Let the reservoir drain low at the end so you don't make too big a mess reconnecting the return line. Fill the reservoir and start the engine to bleed off any air.
I have to facepalm my self, that wooldve saved me more time then ever!!

I can't find a pic of it installed, but when I replaced the power steering pump on my 96' Cherokee a few years ago I installed a "T" so I can flush it easy. I do have these pics from before I installed it though.

I have a cap installed on the side, and only screw on that nipple when I flush it. I also use a set of plastic line clamp pliers to block the return end after the "T" so all of the old fluid only flushed out.

B8409BFD-1BBE-4AA0-9CD6-102DC22EE36E.jpeg

Back