Radiators - What To Buy / Not Buy (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a coolant hose that decided to wiggle its way over to the serpentine belt on my SS, and obviously the belt chewed a hole in it. I cut the hose to remove the hole and re-attached, as there was enough slack. Well the next day the other end of the same hose popped off, and took the plastic overflow connection on the radiator tank with it. It happened while on the way to get a coolant flush (and I thought there was air in the system). Maybe there wasn't enough slack...
33.gif
In my defense, the cost of the specific hose for this application is $68
crazy2.gif
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carqu...ator#fragment-1

I am now considering a new radiator, because to replace the tank it seems it would cost $90, or I can get the whole thing for $130 or even less. But am I getting a decent product for $130? I was told it is a "Global" brand. Are there brands to avoid or pursue? I don't want junk. I don't want to go crazy either. I only want to ensure that my V8 crammed into a tiny hood stays nice and cool, and that I don't have to dig it back out anytime soon.

Also, the vehicle never overheated, not even close (I actually pay attention to my car). But should I do anything else while I'm in there? I already plan on a new hose, new cap, new thermostat, and a flush when it is all finished. The radiator fans are new (less than 2 weeks old). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing remaining is a water pump, right? Necessary?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for help and advice!

If you plan on keeping it more than three years, you may want to get the OEM radiator...

I bought the cheapest one available at Advance for my '96 F-150($87.05 with a buddies jobber discount), been installed a year now with absolutely no issue... Runs cooler than it did with the partially clogged original...

No doubt what's sold from most of the chains are same, rarely see a failure...

Take note AC Delco has a cheapo line, IIRC "advantage" that's probably the same as the other white boxes.

If you like the car and plan to keep it I'd be looking at the aftermarket hot rod stuff from a place like Summit Racing for a car with "modifications".

I would also buy locally, due to fitament issues. Probably should have stated that above. Advance Auto sells the equivalent of the cheapest one you would find on eBay or Rock Auto, and may or may not fit. The Spectra Premium I bought at Autozone was a perfect fit. This was on a 2000 4 cylinder Camry where the plastic tank cracks. The reviews for both brands suggest the same for my other car that needs a radiator. Buying locally saved me a lot of hassle since I could return it easily when it didn't fit. Also, I can take advantage of any warranty issues. Mail order prices are about the same for both cars as they are locally.

Keep in mind that if the ATF cooler circuit leaks, your trans will fill with engine coolant, and will need serious service at a minimum. Just get a Delco radiator and liberate tute me ex infernis.

Or end up like my friend who had to buy 4 gallons of tranny fluid to flush his trans.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you like the car and plan to keep it I'd be looking at the aftermarket hot rod stuff from a place like Summit Racing for a car with "modifications".

Not all (actually almost none) of the good, aftermarket, all alloy/fully welded, U.S. built companies (Be Cool, DeWitts, C&R Racing, Griffin, Flex-A-Lite, Ron Davis, etc.) make drop-in units with all of the correct factory fittings in the correct position, especially for the less popular (for HEAVY mods at least) performance cars like the FWD Impies.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
No silla ,no spectra. Absolute waste of time and money to replace the tank. That costs as much as a new radiator and leaves you with an old tank and core

Actually, no, it DOESN'T. Did you even read the first post?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Not all (actually almost none) of the good, aftermarket, all alloy/fully welded, U.S. built companies (Be Cool, DeWitts, C&R Racing, Griffin, Flex-A-Lite, Ron Davis, etc.) make drop-in units with all of the correct factory fittings in the correct position, especially for the less popular (for HEAVY mods at least) performance cars like the FWD Impies.
frown.gif

And is totally not necessary.

Update - I found a local radiator shop that replaced the tank with the broken nozzle. Under $100. I also got lucky and got my hands on one of the last of the OE hoses (pre-shaped) in existence, and cheap. Tragedy averted, and crucial lesson learned. Thanks for all the help.

Don't get caught up in this brand stuff. There's only a few companies which make and rebrand all these radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back