Reviving a 92 f150 that's been sitting for 2 years.

Needing the starting fluid could just be the old gas.
New gas, Berryman's, Techron, or Redline injector cleaner, and running should fix the injectors if they're shellacked up with old gas residue/gum.

Check fuel pressure. Pump could be weak. Or a plugged filter. Last year my Camry was having a really hard time starting, once running it was fine. Was a plugged filter that I had changed only 5 years prior.

I are a cruise control servo to my Jeep and the cable to it is a little kinked, holds the throttle open a little bit so it has a high idle. This also makes the shifting really bad. Once I disconnect the cruise control servo cable all is well. Something might be sticking somewhere.
It's a dual tank truck. But yeah I'll check it all and see what I find

It's a dual tank truck. But yeah I'll check it all and see what I find
Each tank has a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump common to both tanks is located along the frame under the driver's seat area. Again, you should have 45-55 psi on the rail.

If the gas doesn't smell right or has turned a brown / red color, it is oxidized and old. Difficult starting is the first symptom of old gas. It should start better after you use it out. If you choose to drain the tank do not put the gas into another car.

Ram_man, I don't want to assume anything but did you buy the truck back or just trying to get it running for them?

Each tank has a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump common to both tanks is located along the frame under the driver's seat area. Again, you should have 45-55 psi on the rail.
I'm pretty certain this truck only has 2 pumps. The generation before it had 3 pumps

My 1988 f150 with the 4.9 inline six had three pumps. One in each tank and a high pressure pump on the frame.
My 1996 with the 302 had one pump. I think you are correct, you have one pump per tank.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain this truck only has 2 pumps. The generation before it had 3 pumps
If the HP pump goes out, it won't run. The fact it is running indicates that pump is fine. In fact, I'd expect both pumps are fine, but confirm, as Lubener noted, by checking pressure at the rail. This should have a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator (these are a return system) that will pull running pressure down during low load/high vacuum. Off pressure, if you repeatedly prime the pump to get rail pressure up, should be 45psi. Rail pressure should be 45 psi with the vacuum hose from the regulator removed as well. It'll drop into the 30's with the vacuum hose connected.

Also, it's not uncommon for the diaphragm in the regulator to fail. This will cause both a hard start (because the rail is bleeding down into the intake) and it may idle crazy because it's over-fuelling once running. That would be something I would check.

Starting issue was the tps not making good connection . Cleaned the connections and plugged it all the way in and it starts right up.

Here's some before and after shot of cleaning the exterior. I didn't scrub it just power washed it with dawn soap and sprayed bleach water on it 🤣 interior is next and I have to repaint the tail gate and fender area where they painted it. It's hell having redneck (nicest term possible) relatives. They are so abusive on stuff. I've got new brake calipers and a master cylinder for it as well and new tires ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_142148.jpg
    IMG_20210920_142148.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210919_145029.jpg
    IMG_20210919_145029.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210920_115659.jpg
    IMG_20210920_115659.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210920_142134.jpg
    IMG_20210920_142134.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210920_142157.jpg
    IMG_20210920_142157.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210920_115653.jpg
    IMG_20210920_115653.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210919_141734.jpg
    IMG_20210919_141734.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210920_142139.jpg
    IMG_20210920_142139.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It probably plays into my favor that I don't even know what that means.... nor do I want to know.
So yee yee represents granger Smith he is a country singer. I grew up in the country and listen to country radio. Mostly the older stuff for me! But granger Smith is a cool guy. If you Google yee yee or granger Smith you'll find him.

Here's some before and after shot of cleaning the exterior. I didn't scrub it just power washed it with dawn soap and sprayed bleach water on it 🤣 interior is next and I have to repaint the tail gate and fender area where they painted it. It's hell having redneck (nicest term possible) relatives. They are so abusive on stuff. I've got new brake calipers and a master cylinder for it as well and new tires ordered.

Man... So far... Very good improvement.

Impressive.

Welp fixed all the brake stuff today and went to start it and now have no spark..... 🤔

TFI module? Do you have a spare?
No sure don't . I may have had one but when we moved last year my wife had enough of my hoarding and through a lot of my old car parts away 🤣 is there an easy way to restore that you know of?

Back