Review: 2018 GMC Sierra Base, Regular cab, long box w/ 5.3 V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by Anthony
Nice review. How was the power accelerating from a stop and passing?

Not bad. Better than I expected. I did not use the two/haul mode, so I was probably not seeing the best that the truck could do. That's my fault for not using it, but we were crusing at 65-70 for the vast majority of the miles on this trip. Just didn't do a whole lot of accelerating and passing.

Please realize that I had precious cargo on that trailer... I was driving very conservatively.

If I did a lot of this, I'd prefer to be doing it with a 3/4 ton truck.

Yes- the "tow/haul" mode tells the transmission to hold on to the gearing longer-you would of had a better towing experience. In addition-the alternator does not go into energy saving mode (for when your charging a travel-trailer battery as you go down the highway). The alternator let's the truck's battery discharge to a certain level before it goes in to a full recharge mode otherwise. This supposedly saves on gas.

The GM "work trucks" aren't strippers like they used to be. The only option on the sticker of my '16 Silverado was carpet. It has AC, cruise, windows, locks, LED headlights, AT standard. Maybe the GMC base has a bit nicer interior. The only thing I kinda miss is electric mirrors with 2 drivers.

The owner's manual says something like tow/haul is only to be used when the load is over 75% of capacity.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
The GM "work trucks" aren't strippers like they used to be. The only option on the sticker of my '16 Silverado was carpet. It has AC, cruise, windows, locks, LED headlights, AT standard. Maybe the GMC base has a bit nicer interior. The only thing I kinda miss is electric mirrors with 2 drivers.

The owner's manual says something like tow/haul is only to be used when the load is over 75% of capacity.

True … always start looking at WT series first … like the transfer case shifter on GM WT and I don't like chrome … but the package stuff is pretty clever on trucks so get some "nice to haves" you come up at least one level … and then chrome shows up … so need a Z71 to kill the chrome … and I drive off pavement fairly often anyway …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back