Review: 2018 GMC Sierra Base, Regular cab, long box w/ 5.3 V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a review of a 2018 GMC Sierra, regular cab, long box... with a 5.3 liter V8?

This one was decked out in full UHaul livery, so it likely hasn't led an particularly easy life.

It was used to pull a UHaul auto transport trailer, loaded with a certain 1952 Chevy Deluxe, for 900 miles total. I estimate that the combined weight of car, trailer, and cargo (in the trunk of the car) was right around 6,000 pounds.

It had 11,200 miles when picked up, and it was returned with 12,100 miles. Build date on the door jamb was shown as 3/2018. As an aside, it had a MicroGard oil filter on it from O'Reilly's... so the factory fill had already been replaced at some point. It was full of oil when I picked it up, and the OLM was at 87%. I returned it with the OLM at 81%. The trip was 99% highway/interstate driving. The truck saw less than 10 miles (of the 900 miles total) at anything less than 55 mph.

The truck was equipped better than I expected... for it being from UHaul... with a driver's side power seat, keyless entry, power windows, mirrors, and locks, power locking tailgate, cruise, tilt, and air. The stereo was much better than I expected, with 4 speakers and a USB input in the fold down center console. At first, the touchscreen seemed to be sluggish and somewhat less responsive than I expected. Then I noticed that the protective screen cover was still on it from the factory. Removal of the screen protector was a huge improvement.

The seats were much more comfortable than I expected, and the driver's side power seat even had a power lumbar adjustment. Other than that, it was pure work truck... right down to the rubber floor.

It didn't have a GM factory trailer hitch, but instead had a UHaul branded hitch. Of course...

For the trip, the 5.3 in this truck returned 14.5 mpg. I am not disappointed with that, considering the long hills that we had to pull on I-44 and US-65 between St. Louis and Branson, MO. Cruise control was used for the majority of the trip, and was set at whatever the speed limit was. With the cruise control on, the transmission was flawless in determining downshifts when pulling a hill. It was always right where it needed to be. I have no idea how the rear end was geared. I should have taken a picture of the RPO label and deciphered it, but I didn't. I'd hope it was a 3.42.

However, I personally was not expecting the transmission to downshift on downhill grades, with the cruise control set or not. GMC calls this Powertrain Grade Braking and Cruise Grade Braking. One time, it increased the engine RPM to around 4,200 RPM. I'm not convinced as to how much help that using the engine as a braking system really was... but apparently it is, and it did it.

It had AFM, and I tended to watch the indicator to see how often it went into V4 mode, and for how long. Even with the loaded trailer, it did find some opportunities to go into 4 cylinder mode on flat roads. It was imperceptible when the AFM was doing it's thing.

If there was anything that I'd do differently, I suspect that we had a bit too much weight in the trunk of the car, which was literally hanging out past the end of the trailer. The trunk was the only place that we could lock our stuff up and keep it dry, since it was a single cab truck. It seemed to me that we might have been on the verge of needing a little more tongue weight on the trailer.

There was a time or two, when it felt like to me, that the tail end of the trailer was starting to get a little tail happy, with some side to side movement in it. If the truck had been a double cab or crew cab model, then the weight of the stuff in the trunk would have been in the cab of the truck instead, and then I suspect that it would not have been an issue at all.

The first picture was when we left home in the snow. The second picture is in Branson, MO... before we left for home.

IMG_20181116_070753986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181119_073536672_HDR.jpg

Doesn't UHaul state state in their paperwork that you're not allowed to tow anything with their trucks except for their trailers? Only use for mulch, putting crap in the bed, etc?

I was thinking about renting a truck next year to tow my 4500 lb boat about 250 miles round trip.

Also was it 4x2?

*edit* Looks like they list towing capacity on their website.

Also, this:

https://movinginsider.com/2016/11/01/reasons-rent-pickup-truck/

Cool, so I guess I can tow my boat with one of these. I'll have to keep that in mind in case my truck is out of commission and I still need to move stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Doesn't UHaul state state in their paperwork that you're not allowed to tow anything with their trucks? Only use for mulch, putting crap in the bed, etc?

I was thinking about renting a truck next year to tow my 4500 lb boat about 250 miles round trip.

Also was it 4x2?

I don't know about towing something that YOU own, with one of their trucks.

In my case, it was obvious that I was going to be towing something. I reserved the truck and trailer at the same time, from the same rental center.... and *they* were the ones who hooked up the UHaul trailer to the UHaul truck.

Yes, the truck was a 4x2.

I've used U-Haul Auto Transport trailers on numerous occasions, most recently to bring my brother's '84 CJ-7 back from Chicago when he bought it. As long as you can keep enough air in the trailer tires, they seem to do pretty well. I actually used one to bring the C3500 GMC in my sig back from Chillicothe when I first bought it, and a C1500 parts truck back home from Grand Rapids, MI too, and they both performed flawlessly, right down th the hydraulic trailer brakes.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Doesn't UHaul state state in their paperwork that you're not allowed to tow anything with their trucks? Only use for mulch, putting crap in the bed, etc?

Also was it 4x2?

I don't know about towing something that YOU own, with one of their trucks.

In my case, it was obvious that I was going to be towing something. I reserved the truck and trailer at the same time, from the same rental center.... and *they* were the ones who hooked up the UHaul trailer to the UHaul truck.

Yes, the truck was a 4x2.

I looked into it further it says you can tow your own boat, trailer, etc. as long as it's 6000lbs or less.

Excellent review mrsilv04. Thank you!
Did this'18 have Tow/Haul mode button on the shift lever? If so, did you use it in Haul mode.
I'm also curious as to how much that rig ended up costing you over the 900mile run? I would guess you took a couple of days.
Thanks

I wonder if it was well equipped so that they can get decent money when they go to flip it. I don't think they plan to run it into the ground.

4WD, nice looking truck.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You actually got a reg cab shorty? Awesome truck man, you never see those anymore!

Thanks … Was actually hard to find … they had 3 in Austin so drove up there and got one … love the dexterity/visibility … and we have the Tahoe for more passengers …

Make sure the Ford has a locking rear … looked at a bunch online that did not …

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Excellent review mrsilv04. Thank you!
Did this'18 have Tow/Haul mode button on the shift lever? If so, did you use it in Haul mode.
I'm also curious as to how much that rig ended up costing you over the 900mile run? I would guess you took a couple of days.
Thanks

I did not use the tow/haul mode... even though it had it on the shift lever. I would probably have used it, if we had done more pulling in a city or urban environment. Since we were on the open road 99% of the trip, and using the cruise control nearly the whole time, I just simply didn't need or use Tow/Haul.

We were gone 4 days. The quote was $549 for the truck, trailer and the additional mileage.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Excellent review mrsilv04! And 4wd, my next truck will be an F150 regular cab with either 3.5 EB LWB or 2.7 EB SWB. I'm leaning towards the 2.7 SWB with 3:73s . Cheaper than the full zoot models and way more fun. Vinyl seat and plastic floors, sat radio and cut me loose. Or how about this monster: https://www.planetford45.com/details/spring-texas/2018-ford-f150-xlt-77388-1ftnf1cg0jkd52617.
Discounted enough to be affordable...

The list of "additional offers" are the funniest things I ever saw........

Bought 3 at that dealership

1) first
2) last
3) never again

Just one really …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Were you able to monitor transmission temperature … ?

Yes, I could see transmission temperature via the Driver Information Center. Every time I looked, it was under 200 degrees.

Originally Posted by Anthony
Nice review. How was the power accelerating from a stop and passing?

Not bad. Better than I expected. I did not use the two/haul mode, so I was probably not seeing the best that the truck could do. That's my fault for not using it, but we were crusing at 65-70 for the vast majority of the miles on this trip. Just didn't do a whole lot of accelerating and passing.

Please realize that I had precious cargo on that trailer... I was driving very conservatively.

If I did a lot of this, I'd prefer to be doing it with a 3/4 ton truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back