Review 2005 Crown Victoria 7 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Crown Vic in October 2005..Actually it is 6.5 years to be exact..It was a former rental car from Hertz in Orlando..It had 20K miles on it..According to service records the car was serviced every 5K miles at the Ford dealership..The car just turned 122K miles.

I have done absolutely nothing but regular Ford maintenance..Ford has done all the 30K mile service intervals as well as the bulk of the oil changes.

I use 5w20 Motorcraft Full Synthetic changed out every 7500 miles..I do a mix of highway,local and gridlock.

I average around 25-27 MPG going to Tampa and NYC on 87 octane..Locally I get around 17 MPG..The a/c has been left on in the automatic position since the day I brought the Vic home.

I had the car in for its 120K mile service not long ago and was surprised the Ford dealer did not try to upsell me anything..He said the car needed nothing.

I still like the car as much now as the day I brought it home..I have zero intentions of selling this car anytime soon.

I'm a Ford guy. My Escape with 177k has been the most reliable car I've owned. My 06 Mustang has been the same way, only routine maintenance so far. I was with Dallas Police for 32 years. When I got to do re-training on our driving track we would hot lap Crown Vics for hours at a time on our track. Our only concession was turning off the ac in the summer. I never saw one break down or overheat.

Well done. That car isn't even properly broken in yet.

I would even consider one for myself if I could find one with a stick!
19.gif

It's great when you love a vehicle as much today as when you first pruchaced it new or new to you. I have been this lucky lately. My wife and I each love our respective vehicles, 8 & 11 years later too. The cars have become a good friend. I really dread the day we have to get rid of'em due to them being too costly to maintain/repair or even worth the trouble.

Not so much the repairs but, rust and rot will likely be their death. I really should get rid of them while there is still some equity remaining but, it hard
frown.gif
as they run well and look good thus far.

In another thread, Trav sold the Expedition. I'm sure that Trav misses a good friend but, fuel prices have taken their toll!

Last edited:
I used to get tired of a car after 2 or 3 years and want to trade it. Now I am attached to my 06 Mustang GT and 01 Escape. I think part of the reason is that quality is so good that you don't get frustrated with a car. Also, in the case of the Mustang, I have done some mods that make it stand out like having stripes painted on it, wheels,exhaust and minor engine mods.

Crown Vic/Grand Marquis are simply wonderful cars. Last of the line for what once was a truly American icon in what a car should be. I'll drive mine for as long as I can. It was once a rental car as well. I do wish I could find a matching drivers seat for a low price installed. It's slumping a bit on the left side from use. Maybe I will go to an upholstery place and see if they can replace the foam.
It's sure a comfortable and relaxing pleasure every time I drive it.

It took me a couple of weeks to find the one I wanted. The two tone Gray/Silver paint and black interior Ultimate Edition W/ the HPP Package. I had to drive out of state to find it. She had 29k on it when I got it. I do all the maint. myself. Everyone I know says i'm to young to drive this car, but I could care less what they think, I grew up with these cars. I'll keep mine until the wheels fall off!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
you got lucky the IAC valve didn't fail yet. It's only a $45 dollar fix though anyways.

No IAC Valve on 2005 and up.

On my 99 4.6 Grand Marquis I had to have the IAC Valve replaced in the first 10K miles..Besides the IAC Valve and a pinging issue [which the dealer took care of under warranty] those were the only 2 issues I had with that car for over 200K miles.

I've actually not had any IAC issues with my '00, '03 or '01, touch wood. But I, too, love these cars. I don't think I'm ever going to sell off my '01, at least not until the wheels fall off. Just can't wait to do my suspension mods, and slap on the 3.73s.
laugh.gif

My uncle has two MGMs he bought the same day, one is silver/beige and the other a deep burgundy red with the embroidered roof option and gold badges. The paint on the red one is the best you have ever seen on a used car. It looks nicer than new cars. (Waxing constantly? I would like to have a car with paint like that.)

Its a nice car. Doesnt do a lot for me, but I may not be "appreciating" it. I'd get a Lincoln Town Car... but it's not a bad vehicle.

I could be wrong but i think they are both MY2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back