Reuters: BMW hits 1 million EV sales, targets 2 mln fully electric sales by 2025.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Reuters: BMW hits 1 mln EV sales, targets 2 mln fully electric sales by 2025.

BERLIN, Dec 7 (Reuters) - BMW (BMWG.DE) has sold its one millionth electric vehicle (EV) - including purely electric and hybrid vehicles - and plans to reach two million sales of purely electric vehicles by 2025, the German carmaker said on Tuesday.

Around 70% of EVs sold so far were hybrids, board member Pieter Nota said in a roundtable with journalists, adding that the company believed hybrid models would continue to play an important role in particular for customers without easy access to chargers.

Continuing to modernise fossil fuel-burning cars was another important step towards making the industry more sustainable, he said: "Only then can we make a difference across the customer base."

BMW has long stood for investing in a range of technologies rather than focusing purely on battery-electric cars to reduce emissions, and opposes flat-out bans on purchasing combustion engine cars.

The carmaker aims for at least 50% of global sales to be fully electric by 2030, but has repeated on numerous occasions that lacking charging infrastructure was a major barrier to quicker consumer uptake of electric vehicles.

Sales in November were slightly below last year's levels, Nota said, as a lack of chips continued to restrict supply. However, the company remained confident that it would see absolute revenue growth compared to last year, he said.

Last edited:
Let's face it with all of these other automotive companies continually innovating I can see Tesla getting left behind. Tesla has already lost the Top spot in Norway to VW.

Well, VW actually puts buttons in their cars, and the body panels actually fit.
Yeah. That's what blows my mind. How in the world is Tesla worth a Trillion Dollars yet the quality is still bad. Shoot look at a number of posts that has a guy saying

Model 3 Owner Says Tesla "Cheaped Out" On Quality For 2022.​

This was covered on several different websites. So now the quality is worse. No thanks

Yeah. That's what blows my mind. How in the world is Tesla worth a Trillion Dollars yet the quality is still bad. Shoot look at a number of posts that has a guy saying

This was covered on several different websites. So now the quality is worse. No thanks
Agreed. They are honestly crap. I can appreciate how Tesla has accelerated the development and acceptance of EVs though. The other manufactures are starting to catch up. Seriously considering a BMW i4 M50.

California based tech company - Generates excitement. Viewed as cutting edge, "green", disruptor.
Hundreds of millions in investment - Tesla is one of a small number of large companies which attracted large ESG-centric investors. These investors have had no place else to go.
Hundreds of millions in emissions tax credits - Tesla has been able to keep afloat by selling tax credits. So in effect other industries were subsidizing Tesla.
Hundreds of millions in other tax credits - For example most people lease solar panels and consequently the owner of the panels (i.e. Tesla) receives the tax credit rather than customer. IIRC the same goes for leasing any BEV. Tesla gets the tax credit.

ESG -Environmental, social, and governance (ESG)

California based tech company - Generates excitement. Viewed as cutting edge, "green", disruptor.
Hundreds of millions in investment - Tesla is one of a small number of large companies which attracted large ESG-centric investors. These investors have had no place else to go.
Hundreds of millions in emissions tax credits - Tesla has been able to keep afloat by selling tax credits. So in effect other industries were subsidizing Tesla.
Hundreds of millions in other tax credits - For example most people lease solar panels and consequently the owner of the panels (i.e. Tesla) receives the tax credit rather than customer. IIRC the same goes for leasing any BEV. Tesla gets the tax credit.

ESG -Environmental, social, and governance (ESG)
Yes, Tesla got the tax credit on leases, same as any other car company. The tax credit eligibility ran out years ago for Tesla. Other car makers are still eligible, such as the Mustang Mach E.
The $7,500 tax credit was a key reason we bought our Model 3 in Dec 2018. The credit was halved after 2018; we had to take delivery before the year ended to get the full tax credit subsidy.
If I was smart, I woulda bought stock instead... Sheesh.

I am against subsidies, for the most part. This includes the what, $20B or more each year to big oil? Their profits are through the roof right now.
Tesla did not ask for the subsidy and certainly did not know there would be one. I am also against the new proposed EV subsidy, especially for people with a certain income or expensive cars.

Yes, Tesla got the tax credit on leases, same as any other car company. The tax credit eligibility ran out years ago for Tesla. Other car makers are still eligible, such as the Mustang Mach E.
The $7,500 tax credit was a key reason we bought our Model 3 in Dec 2018. The credit was halved after 2018; we had to take delivery before the year ended to get the full tax credit subsidy.
If I was smart, I woulda bought stock instead... Sheesh.

I am against subsidies, for the most part. This includes the what, $20B or more each year to big oil? Their profits are through the roof right now.
Tesla did not ask for the subsidy and certainly did not know there would be one. I am also against the new proposed EV subsidy, especially for people with a certain income or expensive cars.
Tesla is a creature of public policy. It started as a clean slate with no legacy costs and firm regulatory support. Very similar to some members within the MIC.

As for Big Oil yes they receive tax breaks which are unique to their industry and they do receive other forms of support however as we see their existence in part depends on favorable regulatory treatment which hasn't been so favorable as of late.

Big oil doesn't get as many tax breaks as people think.
"According to CRS, "In 2017, the value of federal tax-related support for the energy sector was estimated to be $17.8 billion. Of this, $4.6 billion (25.8%) can be attributed to tax incentives supporting fossil fuels. Tax-related support for renewables was an estimated $11.6 billion in 2017 (or 65.2% of total tax-related support for energy). The remaining tax-related support went toward nuclear energy, efficiency measures, and alternative technology vehicles."
Tesla was given 4.6 Billion in subsidies. If Elon is so irritated about subsidies Tesla should cut a check back to the government.

What idiots wrote 1 min for million ?
Been telling the wife for years - either they do not pay for people to edit stories or books or any print or internet articles anymore or society has really dumbed down the last 40 - 50 years. I see so many typos when reading these days.

Back