KIA Hit the 10 million SOLD Unit Mark

CKN

Less than three decades after sales began, Kia has sold their 10 millionth vehicle in the United States.

That’s an impressive achievement and the company said it makes them “one of the auto industry’s greatest success stories” as well as one of the “fastest OEMs to reach the 10 million mark in America.”

The 10 millionth vehicle was a Runway Red EV6 that was sold by Car Pros Kia in Moreno Valley, California. The fact that the milestone model was electric is interesting to note as Kia is planning to launch an assortment of EVs in the future including the redesigned Niro EV and the all-new EV9 crossover. Even more EVs are on the horizon as Kia intends to have a fully-electrified lineup in the United States by 2040.

Will Kia dealers get signs kinda like these?

Mcdonalds.jpg

My parents got me a 3 speed bike in like 1975 and it was a Kia. It was ok, looking back I would rather have had a Schwinn. I am kind of thinking a Stingray, anyways it is what it is!

10 million vehicles sold in the US, and another 20 million engines to go into those cars under warranty? :LOL:

I remember when the Sephia was introduced in the mid 90's, Kia had a horrible repuation then, half deservedly. They've done a fantastic job making a turnaround and building a vehicle people actually want to buy. US market is not an easy one to crack for a new foreign entrant, just ask Daewoo and countless others.

I owned a '00 4x4 Sportage 5 speed back in the day. It was one of the earlier Kia models people love to bag on, but it was actually a decent reliable vehicle. But that particular model used a lot of Mazda parts (powertrain included) so wasn't 100% Kia designed.

There will be a lot of good looking Kia cars in the junkyard by 2040, thanks to their poor quality control on the engine assembly. Hope their QC for EVs is going to be better... Or most buyers will end up cooking quick when that microwave oven on wheels has an electrical short or malfunction.

Kia has always been know to have a good warranty unlike the big 3. When companies actual agree to fix warranty related problems
the consumer is the first to come back and buy again. Yes, Kia has had it's share of engine problems etc. however their high production numbers are proof that the consumer is coming back. I have to tip my hat to Kia for clawing their way to up the ladder.

Kia has always been know to have a good warranty unlike the big 3. When companies actual agree to fix warranty related problems
the consumer is the first to come back and buy again. Yes, Kia has had it's share of engine problems etc. however their high production numbers are proof that the consumer is coming back. I have to tip my hat to Kia for clawing their way to up the ladder.
Well stated

Kia can be applauded for their warranty efforts, but I'm not certain they did this completely willingly-- it is such a widespread problem on certain engine lines, that they couldn't hardly sweep it under the rug without the equivalent of a GM-ignition-key fiasco (a gazillion lawyers suing the crap out of you) rearing its ugly head years later.

There's no excuse for the sheer amount of engine problems this manufacturer has had. We've been building internal combustion engines for 100+ years- either there's a massive QC problem at the Kia plant, or there's corners being cut during manufacturing in an effort to save money.

A thoughtful comment. Some of the other " not thoughtful" comments were expected.

Kia can be applauded for their warranty efforts, but I'm not certain they did this completely willingly-- it is such a widespread problem on certain engine lines, that they couldn't hardly sweep it under the rug without the equivalent of a GM-ignition-key fiasco (a gazillion lawyers suing the crap out of you) rearing its ugly head years later.

There's no excuse for the sheer amount of engine problems this manufacturer has had. We've been building internal combustion engines for 100+ years- either there's a massive QC problem at the Kia plant, or there's corners being cut during manufacturing in an effort to save money.

Yet-the Telluride is selling like crazy...WELL over sticker........

Do you know how many other auto manufacturers have had motor issues? I mean do you know.......? Ford Powerstorke 6.0, GM V8/6/4 there are enough motor fiascos to go around.....

Last edited:
Last edited:
They are certainly selling. Seems like tons of people bought them during the pandemic and proceeded to wreck them before the first oil change. Never been so busy at work in my life until this past year, and technically I work at the Chevy dealer.

What is aggravating are the parts availability issues. That is an industry wide problem, but Kia has struggled with supplying repair parts despite being able to crank out all of these new cars. I'm still waiting on some stuff from last year, though it's a little better and the frenzy is dying down some. Still, some people who bought a new Kia, immediately wrecked it, and then had to wait months for their car to be fully repaired might not get a lot of confidence out of that. The very first Telluride we got was wrecked being backed off the car hauler though, who expects that? 😆

H/K’s biggest issue-it doesn’t matter if they’re babied, or if they’re driven hard-if they’re gonna blow, they’re gonna blow, and there’s really nothing that can be done about it. Yes, they have a 10 year/100K power train warranty; but, 100K is just broken in for many makes these days, and H/K needs EVERY MILE of that warranty!

Yet-the Telluride is selling like crazy...WELL over sticker........

Do you know how many other auto manufacturers have had motor issues? I mean do you know.......? Ford Powerstorke 6.0, GM V8/6/4 there are enough motor fiascos to go around.....
Sure there are plenty of examples-- I don't think any of them should get a free pass.

The V8/6/4 debacle doesn't really compare (the offending system could be disabled) -- that was a product of GM having lofty ambitions which the technology of the time couldn't support. I have to give GM credit for pushing the envelope-- unfortunately on a number of things, they'd hadn't thoroughly tested it in the real world (like their 80's passenger car diesel engines), but their attempts and innovation I give them credit for. I'd rather that type of failure from trying too hard... than the opposite. GM had tried a lot of interesting things (like their air cooled flat-6), not all of them panned out well. Ford's Powerstroke 6.0L-- I attribute that partly to Ford, partly to International, and partly new emissions standards which required new technology that hadn't had the bugs worked out. Again, nobody should get a free pass.

A bottom end seizing up because of lack of lubrication / poor machining is engine design 101, which I thought we had perfected since the Model T (slightly exaggerating).

Sure there are plenty of examples-- I don't think any of them should get a free pass.

The V8/6/4 debacle doesn't really compare (the offending system could be disabled) -- that was a product of GM having lofty ambitions which the technology of the time couldn't support. I have to give GM credit for pushing the envelope-- unfortunately on a number of things, they'd hadn't thoroughly tested it in the real world (like their 80's passenger car diesel engines), but their attempts and innovation I give them credit for. I'd rather that type of failure from trying too hard... than the opposite. GM had tried a lot of interesting things (like their air cooled flat-6), not all of them panned out well. Ford's Powerstroke 6.0L-- I attribute that partly to Ford, partly to International, and partly new emissions standards which required new technology that hadn't had the bugs worked out. Again, nobody should get a free pass.

A bottom end seizing up because of lack of lubrication / poor machining is engine design 101, which I thought we had perfected since the Model T (slightly exaggerating).

That was 40 years ago!

Back