KIA Hit the 10 million SOLD Unit Mark

That was 40 years ago!
True-the point being is that Hyundai/KIA isn't alone in bad motor design. I guess a more recent version could be the NorthStar. But-the point being is that posters think it's unique and it's not.
I knew when I posted this thread the haters were going to come out. I mean some posters are driving vehicles made in China, some a division of GM that wasn't successful-but hey let's not have KIA be successful!

That was 30 years ago!
It doesn't matter-just an example. Any way-the thread has gotten off track. The point being is that KIA is accepted and successful in the U.S. and the naysayers can't stand it.

Enough said!

Last edited:
True-the point being is that Hyundai/KIA isn't alone in bad motor design. I guess a more recent version could be the NorthStar.
The difference is, it wasn't the design, just bad execution / QC on Hyunda & Kia's part.

Remember, the Theta engine was part of the Global Engine Alliance, a joint engine designed and used by Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai. The Theta II is basically the same as the original except with CVVT and a variable intake added.

Chrysler and Mitsubishi both have a VVT version, and Chrysler has a 285hp turbocharged model of the engine, yet you don't hear of those seizing up or being recalled.

For the record, I'm not saying Kia or Hyundai are bad vehicles. I own one, still love it, and I bought it because it was better than the rest-- I wasn't on any particular budget, other than not wanting new and needing something reasonably low mileage; it just drove better, looked better, etc. than the competition. Probably the same reason they're so popular and people keep buying them. But they really need to get their act together on their engines!

Last edited:
Please tell us what's wrong with something made in China....
2) Automobiles
It's no secret that Chinese car companies just can't seem to compete with the much bigger named Honda, Toyota, or GM. For example, even BYD, considered by some (Warren Buffett anyway) to be China's best car company only sells about 520,000 cars per year, making it the sixth largest Chinese car seller—pretty pithy when you consider that Toyota sells around nine million per year. That may explain why BYD likes to, um, borrow designs—to the point where car dealerships in China were replacing the BYD emblem with a Toyota Corolla emblem, because apparently the two cars look exactly the same. Not to say that that BYD is alone in its copycat shenanigans; pretty much every other major Chinese automobile manufacturer, such as Chery, Great Wall Motor, and Shuanghuan, have all been accused of copying designs from Honda, Mercedes Benz, and GM as well. In fact, GM went so far as to accuse Chery of using the car it was copied from, GM's Matiz, instead of its own model, in a crash test to achieve higher safety ratings! Preposterous as it may sound, from the Chinese car manufacturer's perspective, it actually kind of makes sense that they'd prefer to use other manufacturer's cars in place of their own for crash test ratings: after all, independent crash tests were only instituted in 2006, while a large number Chinese cars still regularly receive absolutely dismal safety ratings. And surprise, surprise—most automobile experts blame cost cutting for the lack of safety standards in China.

2) Automobiles
It's no secret that Chinese car companies just can't seem to compete with the much bigger named Honda, Toyota, or GM. For example, even BYD, considered by some (Warren Buffett anyway) to be China's best car company only sells about 520,000 cars per year, making it the sixth largest Chinese car seller—pretty pithy when you consider that Toyota sells around nine million per year. That may explain why BYD likes to, um, borrow designs—to the point where car dealerships in China were replacing the BYD emblem with a Toyota Corolla emblem, because apparently the two cars look exactly the same. Not to say that that BYD is alone in its copycat shenanigans; pretty much every other major Chinese automobile manufacturer, such as Chery, Great Wall Motor, and Shuanghuan, have all been accused of copying designs from Honda, Mercedes Benz, and GM as well. In fact, GM went so far as to accuse Chery of using the car it was copied from, GM's Matiz, instead of its own model, in a crash test to achieve higher safety ratings! Preposterous as it may sound, from the Chinese car manufacturer's perspective, it actually kind of makes sense that they'd prefer to use other manufacturer's cars in place of their own for crash test ratings: after all, independent crash tests were only instituted in 2006, while a large number Chinese cars still regularly receive absolutely dismal safety ratings. And surprise, surprise—most automobile experts blame cost cutting for the lack of safety standards in China.

Let me rephrase. Hyundai had 4 factories in China. Guess that means they're junk.

Let me rephrase. Hyundai had 4 factories in China. Guess that means they're junk.
Hyundai produces cars for the Chinese market in China. None of those are imported to the U.S. Due to U.S. crash standards-yes any cars made only for the Chinese market COULD be inferior.

Now your arguing for arguments sake.

Have a nice evening dishdude!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I've been exceedingly happy with my Hyundai/KIA purchases over the past 13 years.

Back