Reusable water bottles hold more bacteria than toilet seat, study finds

"Reusable water bottles hold more bacteria than toilet seat, study finds"​

Have you ever been to a Lowes or Home Depot bathroom?

Overrated along with brain cells.

42cbc222-b25f-4d48-a1fb-7f6cd2264ae9_text.gif

my water bottle gets washed daily. Can't believe some wash theirs like every few days or longer

I'd say that most people drinking out of that same water bottle in the cube farm day after day or lugging it around with them like a newborn probably never wash it and have poor hygiene habits themselves. I remember just 3 years ago, it seemed like the entire country was being taught to wash their hands for the first time in their lives....

I've heard the bulk of these cruise ships described much the same way. 3,000+ people packed into a waterproof metal tank for days on end. All rubbing butts and elbows.

Think about it. You're carrying around a plastic bottle of warm water all day, with plenty of your oral backwash in it. What could possibly cause bacteria? I change my dogs water at least 5 or 6 times a day.

you change your dog water that often? My dogs have a heated bowl (for winter) I dump a gallon of fresh faucet water in every morning. I know what nasty things they lick, chew on, eat, etc...I can't imagine changing it that often. I have used the same water bottle for the last two years...they usually last me two to three before the seals start giving out. I only wash it once a day with the evening dishes.

I use a water bottle that I keep in the refrigerator and use 32 oz of water and 2 packets of Crystal Light lemonade. I rinse it out every time I refill it and have never had any problems. One time years ago I seen a delivery driver unloading some cases of canned goods and a black lab walked up and took a leak all over the cases and walked away. I am not sure what the delivery driver did but pretty sure he just continued on with his business hahaha.

I put mine in the dishwasher every day. Been doing it for 10 years. No health issues. Moving on with life.

I use a water bottle for exercise, wash it out every time. Not difficult in any way.

I use a larger Stanley thermos for ice water. Also wash it out after use.

I use a water bottle for exercise, wash it out every time. Not difficult in any way.

I use a larger Stanley thermos for ice water. Also wash it out after use.
Right...kind of like stating plates that are not cleaned well between meals are dirtier than ones that get cleaner. Just clean the plate.

In regards to the environment only, is it better to use a re-usable bottle that you wash everyday with hot, soapy water or just recycle the plastic water bottles daily? I use a Contigo stainless steel re-usable bottle that I really like but I do wonder if I'm having a positive or negative effect on the world in which we live. I wonder the same thing every time I line a sheet pan with aluminum foil so cleanup is easy. Better to wash the pan or throw a ball of foil in the trash?

I have a Nalgene water bottle on my desk at work. I use it daily. Yesterday I walked into the breakroom, saw the dish soap and thought "Maybe I should wash this thing, it's been at least 5 years since I last washed it, probably even longer.. All sorts of nasty stuff came out of it. And now I know that I nearly died EVERY DAY!

In regards to the environment only, is it better to use a re-usable bottle that you wash everyday with hot, soapy water or just recycle the plastic water bottles daily? I use a Contigo stainless steel re-usable bottle that I really like but I do wonder if I'm having a positive or negative effect on the world in which we live. I wonder the same thing every time I line a sheet pan with aluminum foil so cleanup is easy. Better to wash the pan or throw a ball of foil in the trash?
Go look at what actually ends up in bottled water. phthalates, heavy metals, micro plastics. Our water authority publishes a report yearly on water quality you can go read. Its done by an independent third party and our water authority is a separately run non profit owned by the county, so there is no incentive to lie. I'll stick with my tap water. My immune system can fend off bacteria. It can't do much with lead and microplastics.

I had a new RO system installed when we bought this place. I don't carry water with me when I go anywhere. Unless it's going to be somewhere I could break down. I've lived 7 decades and never paid for a bottle of water in my life. I'm not about to start now.

Back