Returning to old Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutanota email is a pain in the arse also. I tried sending my gmail account a "Sent" email from tutanota. What followed was a subject line that never appeared. What happened to my subject line and where's that email sentence I composed?

What the heck? I couldn't understand the mumbo-jumbo that arrived in that email.

I think I'll stick to non-privacy email providers. Goodbye to any email provider that's free & private..... no thanks! Too complicated for computer users that don't have a high school diploma in Computer Technology.

You just tried the two best email companies in the world and have issues with both.

The one I recommended you did not like - Protonmail

so you tried one I did not recommend but is also well respected - Tutanota

You had issues with both.

For anyone following this thread, I highly suggest www.protonmail.com if you want a private email service, its free to try and use (most people will never need more)
If you can afford a couple dollars a month you can upgrade to even more, or just give up and keep letting google sell your information and that if your children to the highest bidders.
I could care less, my posts are for those who care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Well I just finished installing Proton Mail and it's fine outside of not being able to delete my first two emails from them.

Once you set-up your new email account with them (non-mobile app account), you get two emails from Proton. I cannot find any way to delete those two emails. I looked for, scrolled and clicked on everything, but found nothing for instant email deletion.

OMG, this could be a very short marriage between Proton and myself. Is this the manner they use, to get us over our very limited MG thresh-hold in a hurry, by storing old emails we want to delete and can't?

I had them before I settled on Runbox. I found their tech lacking and sometimes the webmail site was really slow. I also didn't like their pricing plans for more e-mail storage (really expensive).

Open the message and then click the trash can button at the top of the screen. Some e-mails can't be deleted and are auto self-destructing and will delete themselves after a period of time. You can actually send e-mails like that as well which is a cool feature but useless for the average user though.

I don't remember if this is what applies to the ones from Proton Mail or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
You just tried the two best email companies in the world and have issues with both.

The one I recommended you did not like - Protonmail

so you tried one I did not recommend but is also well respected - Tutanota

You had issues with both.

For anyone following this thread, I highly suggest www.protonmail.com if you want a private email service, its free to try and use (most people will never need more)
If you can afford a couple dollars a month you can upgrade to even more, or just give up and keep letting google sell your information and that if your children to the highest bidders.
I could care less, my posts are for those who care.

Good thing you could care less...because your posts are now becoming laughable.....

You DO HAVE a functioning cell phone? RIGHT?

Last edited:
Proton was hacked and had to pay a hefty ransom. Now it's being pushed for the gullible ones from all angles.
Swiss banks had to sell their customers in order to keep access to US market. What makes you think that Proton is secure? Their claims?
There is no such thing. Spies still use short-wave radio.

Originally Posted by Y_K
Proton was hacked and had to pay a hefty ransom. Now it's being pushed for the gullible ones from all angles.
Swiss banks had to sell their customers in order to keep access to US market. What makes you think that Proton is secure? Their claims?
There is no such thing. Spies still use short-wave radio.

Huh?
If this post is directed to me you didn't read all my posts. This has to do with the wholesale selling of your personal information to the highest bidder which Google does.
The private email companies mentioned in this thread do not.
That's all this is about. However with proton and some others mentioned in this thread your emails are encrypted and only able to be decrypted by your personal password. The password is not saved on proton servers so you and you alone have the password to decrypt.

So the hackers can hack all they want and quite honestly I could care less it's not like I'm a criminal I just don't want my profiles Anonymous or not being sold for profit.

Since you are in control of your password and your password is not saved on protons servers if you lose your password you lose your emails as there's nothing to decrypt them. You will still have your account and you will be able to change your password but you will not have access to the old emails you'll be starting fresh.

Last edited:
Folks should be changing their passwords regularly anyway. I use LastPass and it makes it super easy for changing the passwords to long cryptic passwords with special characters and most sites it can change it for you with 1 click.

My e-mail password is something like 14 characters long full of numbers, letters, upper/lower case, special characters and it gets changed every so many days because it's a 1 click process. Good luck to those trying to hack my account.

LastPass is good, free to the average person, my company uses it, my wife uses it (because of me)

I use Roboform (paid for version) and like it a lot.

Both are good.
With that said, Im not to concerned about hacking, but agree 100% its easy to step up your security yet most people dont bother, I just dont like giving companies like google the freedom to use my personal information to sell so they can get rich and why I am moving away from google and whoever I can to more private outfits like protonmail, duckduckgo search engine ect..

Both are good.

alarmguy, what are the advantages of Roboform over Lastpass? I use Lastpass and this is the first I have heard of Roboform.

Terry

With respect to secure email, Hushmail is a very good alternative. Contrary to one of the linked articles, it will work on a Mac, and I'm not sure why someone would think it wouldn't. If you can browse the web and/or use an email client, then the computer will work with Hushmail. It's worked with Linux from the start of the service. Phil Zimmerman was involved in the service early on. Unfortunately, their free service has disappeared and they only have a free trial.

Now, regarding privacy versus data accessibility, if one of these email services were a victim of ransomware (as was asserted, but I know nothing of any circumstances), that's a problem. First off, great, the data is encrypted at the outset and nothing was leaked. However, if I'm using an online service, not only do I want my data protected, I want to be able to get at my data. If it's been locked by a hacker, that's a problem. Why are they using Windows to run an email server?

With most of these services, the problem is compatibility with other email, which really doesn't exist. Either those with whom you correspond use the same email service, which is unlikely, or there is some less secure hack offered (i.e. Hushmail's password protected email option), or the recipient is proficient in PGP/GPG and the service will work through that, too.

Realistically, with these free email services (Gmail and the ilk), we worry about privacy and rightfully so. Perhaps one's own ISP's email service is a better option. At least my ISP allows email clients and webmail. The proper solution is GPG encrypted email, but I've only personally dealt with about five other people who know how to actually use it; one of these was a PhD computer scientist and another was Phil Zimmerman himself.

One is always free to set up one's own email domain and server, but that would be more hassle than it's worth. The simplest thing to start with is to tell people to bugger off with HTML email, but that's a rant for another day.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
With respect to secure email, Hushmail is a very good alternative. Contrary to one of the linked articles, it will work on a Mac, and I'm not sure why someone would think it wouldn't. If you can browse the web and/or use an email client, then the computer will work with Hushmail. It's worked with Linux from the start of the service. Phil Zimmerman was involved in the service early on. Unfortunately, their free service has disappeared and they only have a free trial.

Now, regarding privacy versus data accessibility, if one of these email services were a victim of ransomware (as was asserted, but I know nothing of any circumstances), that's a problem. First off, great, the data is encrypted at the outset and nothing was leaked. However, if I'm using an online service, not only do I want my data protected, I want to be able to get at my data. If it's been locked by a hacker, that's a problem. Why are they using Windows to run an email server?

With most of these services, the problem is compatibility with other email, which really doesn't exist. Either those with whom you correspond use the same email service, which is unlikely, or there is some less secure hack offered (i.e. Hushmail's password protected email option), or the recipient is proficient in PGP/GPG and the service will work through that, too.

Realistically, with these free email services (Gmail and the ilk), we worry about privacy and rightfully so. Perhaps one's own ISP's email service is a better option. At least my ISP allows email clients and webmail. The proper solution is GPG encrypted email, but I've only personally dealt with about five other people who know how to actually use it; one of these was a PhD computer scientist and another was Phil Zimmerman himself.

One is always free to set up one's own email domain and server, but that would be more hassle than it's worth. The simplest thing to start with is to tell people to bugger off with HTML email, but that's a rant for another day.
wink.gif

Garak,

1. Protonmail is free too, If you do not need a lot of space, which most people dont, its also the largest and most respected in the world. But any one can research by simply doing internet searches for best private email service and best private free email service. There are others.

2. "if one of these email services were a victim of ransomware (as was asserted, but I know nothing of any circumstances)"
This is the problem with a forum, people can make claims and posts but nothing to provide any back up to what they say. Yes I noticed this post to from someone in here, all BS.

3. Protonmail is encrypted, doesnt matter who or what gets hacked, it can only be decrypted by your password and only you have it.
Bottom line is, the best free or one of the best private email where the email provider doesnt sell your information for profit is Proton mail and the others which can be found by doing a search.

Using yahoo, aol, gmail, hotmail, your ISP email and you are agreeing to let them sell your information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by terry274

Both are good.

alarmguy, what are the advantages of Roboform over Lastpass? I use Lastpass and this is the first I have heard of Roboform.

Terry

I guess just a matter of preference?

I had Roboform first before lastpass and suggested to my wife, since she wanted something simple to use Lastpass, I also tried it but since I had Roboform first I got used to Roboform and started to really like it. I dont know why, I guess I find it less annoying then Lastpass. Lastpass name is certainly more catchy but I feel, not that I am right, Roboform, time tested and been in business forever.

Roboform - seemliness works across all platforms for me and my cell phone of course, i just like it, been using it a while now, can be subscribed to depending on time of year on sale /prices for 3 years.

I suggest check their websites, they all have free and paid for subscriptions, you can use both and then decide.

3. Protonmail is encrypted, doesnt matter who or what gets hacked, it can only be decrypted by your password and only you have it.
Bottom line is, the best free or one of the best private email where the email provider doesnt sell your information for profit is Proton mail and the others which can be found by doing a search.

Using yahoo, aol, gmail, hotmail, your ISP email and you are agreeing to let them sell your information.

Yahoo et al can certainly sell your information. As for your ISP, whether they do or do not is irrespective of your use of their email service. Avoiding your ISP's email isn't going to save you in the slightest from them disseminating your information. Your ISP already has your information.

Now, with Proton email, or any of these services, you have to remember the difference between encryption in place, encryption in transit, and encryption in use. These email services offer encryption in place across the board. Any technology company can do that, really; heck, Gmail does it. The real problem with these premium services is that the encryption in transit only occurs if you're sending an email to someone using the same service or someone equipped and versed with GPG.

If I give you my ISP email address, and you send me an email from Proton, the email I'm going to get is going to be plain text, and it will be processed from mail server to mail server in plain text, unless I provide you with my GPG public key first. So, the privacy in transit is simply not there across the board when using Proton, or any of these services.

Originally Posted by Garak

Yahoo et al can certainly sell your information. As for your ISP, whether they do or do not is irrespective of your use of their email service. Avoiding your ISP's email isn't going to save you in the slightest from them disseminating your information. Your ISP already has your information.

Now, with Proton email, or any of these services, you have to remember the difference between encryption in place, encryption in transit, and encryption in use. These email services offer encryption in place across the board. Any technology company can do that, really; heck, Gmail does it. The real problem with these premium services is that the encryption in transit only occurs if you're sending an email to someone using the same service or someone equipped and versed with GPG.

If I give you my ISP email address, and you send me an email from Proton, the email I'm going to get is going to be plain text, and it will be processed from mail server to mail server in plain text, unless I provide you with my GPG public key first. So, the privacy in transit is simply not there across the board when using Proton, or any of these services.

Well said and correct, agree 100% -

But for others following this thread, as I said over and over, Im on a quest to deny Google or ANY email service I use and any internet provider I use and just plain ANYONE, the use of my private information to be sold at auction to the highest bidder. You have to start someplace and the easiest by far is to start with your email.
Simply select a private email service and stop google from selling the information in your emails, there for denying google profit for using your personal information.
Its really that simple, lets not overthink it.

Will others like your ISP and other collection methods still sell information? Of course, but you have to start some place and AMERICANS above all else are the most lazy group of people on planet earth to start. They are WAY, WAY ahead of the privacy game in Europe. BTW - ways to work on your ISP too, but one thing at a time. (and BTW your ISP does not scan your email)

Read up on Tim Cooks latest addresses at conferences and we all have to admit, he is a very credible source.

The bottom line is we can all roll over, succumb, look the over way and allow companies to sell our private information or we can take steps to limit it, one thing for sure, IF AMERICANS GOT ON BOARD, THEY COULD AND WOULD EFFECT GOOGLE SO BAD MAJOR CHANGES WOULD TAKE PLACE.

Could you imagine if everyone dumped gmail AND started using Private email and stopped using google seach and started using DUCKDUCKGO search engine?

Googles profits made off your information would fall through the floor. Dont think for a second this would go unnoticed around the world and changes come faster.

Last edited:

But for others following this thread, as I said over and over, Im on a quest to deny Google or ANY email service I use and any internet provider I use and just plain ANYONE, the use of my private information to be sold at auction to the highest bidder.

I am not certain to what extent it is ever commercialized or exploited; but in mentioning DNS servers in another thread minutes ago it occurred to me that you might see some value in using a 3rd-party DNS server for your internet activities. Unless you've taken measures otherwise, it is your internet service provider who'd be reconciling all of your internet traffic.

I use a service called OpenDNS for my home. It is not anonymous - In fact, I have an account there; but I use it for content filtering and dynamic DNS. Google offers a free service but I know better than to mention that! The one you may be interested in is offered by CloudFlare: https://1.1.1.1/

But for others following this thread, as I said over and over, Im on a quest to deny Google or ANY email service I use and any internet provider I use and just plain ANYONE, the use of my private information to be sold at auction to the highest bidder. You have to start someplace and the easiest by far is to start with your email.

Heck, it's not even the highest bidder. They sell all over. Nonetheless, from a data collection standpoint, one's ISP email is the least thing to worry about, since, as I mentioned, the ISP already has your information. You're not giving them anything more by using their email service, particularly if you're not going to their ad based page and simply using an email client. The real issue is the security of the email in transit, and none of these services adequately addresses this, as I mentioned, except where all involved in the email are on the same service or versed in GPG.

I also use OpenDNS as mentioned by uc50ic4more.

Want to confuse Google? Use Gmail, but only send encrypted text.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back