Apple side channel exploit - Affects A and M series CPU's

OK, there we go, we are on the same page. You said originally that Edge is Chrome. Now you are agreeing that Opera is not the same as Chrome, so neither is Edge. Yes, they are both built on Chromium, so they use the same rendering engine, but it doesn't make either of them Chrome, which is another product that uses the same engine.

Yes, Google is a huge contributor to the project, because it's used as the basis for Chrome, just like Google is a massive contributor to Android and Linux in general. Apple was/is a big contributor to BSD, because it used many FreeBSD-derived components as the foundation for Darwin. However, Apple has been less "open" with many aspects of their development, keeping many parts of MacOS and IOS closed-source still.

The 1894 is a gun design that originates from Winchester. However, other companies also produce 1894 rifles based on the same core design. The Remington 700 action is probably the better example, because that action is ubiquitous, being the core design component of many wildly different looking rifles including Remington's 700 series, but ultimately, they all work the same because they use the same action. I own two 700 based rifles, and they look nothing alike, but they both benefit from using the same strong and reliable action.

I've never argued that Firefox isn't a totally different code base and uses totally different rendering, we are in agreement on that point. It's lineage back through Netscape long predates Chromium and that family.
From a marketing/product/sale perspective yes they are all different, but only for those that genuinely think one browser is some how superior to another based on their color and skin. Making a chromium based browser is way too easy (hence why Edge completely scrapped Trident, and even at one point in IE11 was trying to have backwards and forwards compatibility with Gecko on firefox but then quickly realized that Gecko was being discontinued with not yet announced EOL and move to Quantum).

But there is a big reason why Firefox's quantum is the more modular engine (and why there are significantly better addons for firefox than chrome, it would be nearly impossible for example, for firefox to ban ad blockers, since it would need to overhaul the entire underlying engine, where as coder's have long expressed frustration trying to build what google calls "invasive" addons for chrome).

Luckily Google can contribute to linux all it wants but it won't be able to implement its own "back doors" that it can then later make money from (like chrome/chromium tracking). Building something ground up and then distributing it vs improving the linux kernel for android compatibility isn't quite the same (although we all know Google has its own back doors in android since the beginning).

Ah, now the gun one makes sense. I am not much of a gun nerd (although do enjoy gun videos, and ma more familiar with the AK platform than any other).

I am glad we are way past netscape, IE, and the rest of that dinosaur garbage.

On another note...would have been cool to see Firefox as a mobile/tablet/chromebook-esque OS take off. It was quite interesting at the time.

On another note...would have been cool to see Firefox as a mobile/tablet/chromebook-esque OS take off. It was quite interesting at the time.
Yes, agreed, I had high hopes for the FF mobile OS, it's very unfortunate the product didn't really garner much in the way of traction. Google's dominance in the non-Apple phone space really leaves one yearning for a Linux-based alternative that Google doesn't have its hooks into, and that product did look poised to fill that niche.

Yes, agreed, I had high hopes for the FF mobile OS, it's very unfortunate the product didn't really garner much in the way of traction. Google's dominance in the non-Apple phone space really leaves one yearning for a Linux-based alternative that Google doesn't have its hooks into, and that product did look poised to fill that niche.
The crazy thing is that there was in fact a lot of evidence that HTML5 was significantly less demanding on hardware than even the stripped down linux kernel for android with C, Java, and XML being used on top. I remember that back when runescape made the switch (yes I am old enough to have played the beta in '99 lol and it did feel revolutionary to have a 3d game in a browser) to HTML5 for its entire UI and render engine, the game took a huge leap forward.

Fuchia seemed like google was going to make a lighter weight OS then sort of threw it in the bin and made it an IOT thing. Sad.

Back