Recommended Email providers

I'm not sure if you're intentionally ignoring the point. By using protonmail and the duckduckgo browser, you can use the internet without being tracked. What is laughable about that?

Using DDG is a good step to help protect your privacy; however, it doesn’t stop your ISP or snoops from seeing what you do online. Unless you are using a VPN with military-grade encryption, thinking you can use the Internet without being tracked is not 100% accurate.

To OP: I have used Zoho and thought it was reliable.

Last edited:
Using DDG is a good step to help protect your privacy; however, it doesn’t stop your ISP or snoops from seeing what you do online. Unless you are using a VPN with military-grade encryption, thinking you can use the Internet without being tracked is not 100% accurate.

To OP: I have used Zoho and thought it was reliable.
No dispute there. If you're trying to evade the IRS or ATF or whatever, they're going to probably figure you out. But if you're simply trying to limit the flood of information that Google and Facebook and Amazon keep about each of us, the duck browser and protonmail are a very good start. .

GMAIL seems to be a bigger scammer / hacker target
Probably so as they always target the biggest audience to improve their odds.

Why the need to delete an account you no longer use ? Just abandon it yourself.

Probably so as they always target the biggest audience to improve their odds.

Why the need to delete an account you no longer use ? Just abandon it yourself.
They were being used to create scam Craigslist adds and I had no way to access the account and reporting it did little.

They were being used to create scam Craigslist adds
How do you know they were being used if it was an account you no longer used ? I wouldn't worry about it or concern myself if it was an "old" account / email that I no longer used.

GMAIL seems to be a bigger scammer / hacker target, I’ve lost access to a couple rarely used Gmail accounts and getting google to delete one is nearly impossible.
I've not had any such issues with Gmail... My old Yahoo account on the other hand... That thing got hacked every couple months...friends started getting tons of spam "from me", etc... and i'd have to change the password, activate 2fa, just to have the same thing happen a few months down the road....
after a couple times, i started getting similar emails "from" an ex's Yahoo account... and I'd send her an email that she needed to change HER password again...

it was the only contact we had for a few years, until i just gave up and deleted the yahoo account. haven't heard from her since.

Coulda sworn I had my yahoo account in the 90's but I can't find any email older than 2000. I would have left college and its email accounts at that time, so maybe I did sign up then... regardless, has worked for me all this time. I should look into that protonmail, I don't need another address, but maybe it wouldn't hurt.

I'm kinda of the mindset, there's so much info out there about everyone, it's rather hard to sort through. But if I could start over again... I'd probably fly as anonymous as I could.
My first yahoo email was [email protected]

Protonmail if you care about your security/privacy, though the recipient of your emails also needs to use it otherwise its kind of pointless. But still, they get a lot right.
+1 for Proton mail

I have anything financial or doctor/health related going to my Proton Email. Proton has VPN and storage, etc.

Gmail is reading your email to make money off them. If you are using Gmail at least use a email app like Thunderbird.

Proton is in Switzerland and must adhere to Swiss privacy laws. Much better than US.

I have had a yahoo mail account I have used for 20 years for junk. Its the lesser evil of the big tech IMHO - who simply view me as a data stream to be monetized.

I use my work email for important stuff. The servers are self hosted, secure, redundant and off shore. I realize many don't have this option.

I have looked several times at getting a proton mail account but then I would have 3 to manage. If I didn't have the work account to use, I would go that way.

Yes, I realize I am being tracked online, I just don't need to make it easier for big tech to profit from it.

I would recommend that you get your own domain name on Ionos.com - it comes with email hosting included. Otherwise get your own domain on gandi.net and then pay 3.99 a month for theirs.

My current ISP is ancient and unreliable and they hardly support it.

I don't want gmail.

I have cable internet, works fine. But want to just add a new safe, reliable email service and move my important stuff there. Like BITOG :) :LOL: (y)
Protonmail. They However don't keep your password in a database meaning it's much more secure but your email password can't be retrieved if you forgot it.

Protonmail. They However don't keep your password in a database meaning it's much more secure but your email password can't be retrieved if you forgot it.

Just to touch on this a little further, most passwords can't be retrieved even in systems like gmail. But protonmail encrypts your information and only gives you the key, which means even if a 3 letter agency tries to force them to give them your data, protonmail can't actually give them anything other than the encrypted data and the agency needs to try and hack/decrypt the encrypted data which is not exactly trivial, and might be impossible.

But also if we send an email from protonmail to a guy who is using gmail, then gmail gets my email content anyway and can probably still build a profile on me that way.

At a certain point though, if you're a big enough target it doesn't really matter. Love this little XKCD comic which always fits in these discussions:

security.png

It's fine, most people just keep their password on a post-it note or in a notebook 🤣🤣🤣

Back