Retirement

I did six years ago (early buyout) and will eventually work part time doing what I enjoy sometime. Retirement is not what is hyped up to be. I was very busy the first few years but this covid stuff is driving me nuts.

Nearing 65, I'm doing retirement activities (and mentality) while stile maintaining a career I enjoy and have passion for. It is amazing how one's outlook changes with age. Priorities are better aligned and I have adopted the "I don't give a shxx" about things I used have anxiety about. I wish I would have had this wisdom earlier in life. Some people DO get it earlier.

Some of you are a good influence on me. I see you fretting over maintaining your vehicle like a museum piece and I think, dang, I used to be (almost) like that. Yes, I am a recovering perfectionist.

Of course, the pandemic puts a dent in everything we do. I look forward to better times.

Last edited:
I retired on July 10th of last year. I could have kept working, but my son took ill ,so my wife and I went to help with his kids. He's gotten better, and like everyone else they're trying to get back to normal. I like staying home and having $$$ deposited in the bank every month, While covid has put a damper on alot of stuff, I try to keep doing things so I don't rust. The thing that sucks to me is, most of my friends are still working, and that only leaves weekends for going out for coffee or lunch. My wife still works, and just started back in her building. That leaves just me and the dog for company. I want to do some traveling , but thats gonna have to wait a bit.,,

I retired January 7, I'm 62.5. I just got so finally sick of working for the man and oddly learning (software mainly) tools that were absolutely worse than the previous tools being rammed down our throats. I justified the last little while purely by money earned and saving $60,000+ per year. I reached the breaking (tipping?) point, I guess you could say.

I still run my businesses and actually have time to do so. Retirement is everything promised plus some, because it is what you make it. There is no need to plan every day, but depending on your personality you may need some structure. Could be budgetary could be motivational, could be time management. Whatever it is, it should not involve just sitting there watching TV or the internet (as I ironically type this).

Save at least $2 million, maybe a bit less if you live away from a coast. Make a budget. I don't care if you never did before, while you were working. Just make a simple spending outgo list, and an income list. I personally don't think it's something needing daily or even weekly updating but just tabbing your outgo can be very helpful. Say you allow $100 per month for meals out, but you use $50, and you have $200 going to saving for a trip, I allocate the extra $50 to the trip savings. Just an example that helps if your income is fixed. That said until we are 65 our largest expense will be health insurance, and I STILL am waiting on the final package with $ amounts, but I budgeted worst case marketplace costs.

We probably will hold off on social security no need to take early. Nice to know we will have that at 66y 8mo. I have a small pension, wife also but she must wait until 65. I have my Amsoil income, can take SBP income, plus income on savings (oh yes taking money out is very mentally difficult) - will need to draw down a little to match budget outgo.

Stay healthy - exercise EVERY DAY. If you take a 30 minute+ walk, that counts. Eat OK, avoid sugar/white simple starch bombs.

Right now - or rather almost every day I have spent cleaning the absolutely nasty messy shop that I never had time to do before. It has reached the amazingly organized stage just the last few days. I rewarded myself by buying a new DeWalt shop vac ( :LOL: ) - this all in prepping to move IF we find the right place. When will move it will not be so bad. Everything in toolboxes and milk crates. Sell down any inventory.

One thing: We did NOT anticipate a real estate gold rush............we simply cannot find a decent sub $1 million dollar place on the west (wet) side of the mountains..............we are formulating a plan and there is no real rush. We just don't think of this as our retirement home. I guess the good news our house has tons of (almost all) equity and it's tripled in value and will sell in minutes with offers over asking.

I will close with this: I had plenty of time to post this, but need to get off my ass and go sit down and fill some paperwork out :ROFLMAO::giggle:🤭🈴

EDIT: PS I absolutely look at retirement as starting fresh, the 3rd leg of my life.

Last edited:
I finally reached it, just three months away. I gave my workplace notice.

I too have lost my perfectionism with cars. If bored I may rekindle that thought. But six years ago I discovered a new hobby... restoring old tube radios. I have many in the queue awaiting restoration. My big home with 2 acres will keep me busy as well.

They froze our pensions four years ago. I'll have a choice of a monthly pension or a lump sum. They crunched the numbers and the lump sum equals 16 years of payout. The con is I may outlive the 16 years. The pro is I may grow the lump sum.

I am 67and its on the horizon. But my current software job is pretty good and pays well. Wife is retired and pulling in the pension

You need to plan for retirement. Financially, medically, and your purpose.

You also lose your identity. Wife was an Asst NYS Attorney General. Now a retired lawyer.

Reactions: JC1
I am 73 and retired at 58 from full time work. Worked part time for another 2 years. I have really enjoyed retirement. But the key is having lots to do that interests you. I volunteer as a guide at the local Military Museum. I love to hunt, shoot and fish. Even more, I love spending time with my two grandsons, 8 and 6. I am now involving the 8 (soon 9) year old in the hunting and shooting sports. We do occasionally travel which is nice and take each grandson on a trip once a year where he gets to see something of interest, spend a night or two in a motel and eat in nice restaurants, This year, even with Covid, we are celebrating our 50th anniversary by renting a house on the ocean beach in Delaware and taking my son and his family down with us to enjoy a big family outing.

One thing that I found useful in retirement.....give up thinking about the old job. Make a clean break and move on. For some, this can be very difficult as they have defined their entire existence around their job. I knew several people where I worked who ended up having to get psychiatric counseling after retirement because they could not handle the separation! I also knew a person from my years of college teaching who was so tied up in his job that when he retired, he went home, sat in a chair every day, and did absolutely nothing. He died about three months after retiring much to his wife's chagrin.

So plan ahead, amp up your hobbies, think about what you always wanted to do and start anticipating doing those things. Join a volunteer group, asked the grandkids what they might enjoy doing with you and set that up. Most of all, enjoy the gift of free time!

Retired at 60.5 years. Enjoyed every minute of it so far. One simple fact everybody reading this needs to understand - If you don't plan EARLY and save for a financially secure retirement, you simple are not going to have one. Pay attention - because working till you drop or living on meager social security only is going to suck.

Counting the days. Had the 'option' to 'voluntarily separate' a couple of years ago but the insurance aspect killed me so I declined.

I was in the financial industry in the early 2000's; my company was bought and positions eliminated so I was tossed aside in 2003. Was out of work for a year then picked up part-time work at a home-improvement chain that helps us Midwesterners to save big money for another year. I remember joking with headhunters that this was a trial-retirement for me, and to tell you the truth, I enjoyed it, other than the pay stunk, which is why I was talking to headhunters and trying to get out of retail. I look forward to being able to retire permanently later this decade.

I finally reached it, just three months away. I gave my workplace notice.

I too have lost my perfectionism with cars. If bored I may rekindle that thought. But six years ago I discovered a new hobby... restoring old tube radios. I have many in the queue awaiting restoration. My big home with 2 acres will keep me busy as well.

They froze our pensions four years ago. I'll have a choice of a monthly pension or a lump sum. They crunched the numbers and the lump sum equals 16 years of payout. The con is I may outlive the 16 years. The pro is I may grow the lump sum.
So many don’t and won’t have those options. About 3 years back, they opened the option for us to split those … pension would ensure you meet monthly bills - and still have a lump sum for growth - plus the kids if managed …

Not retired, but dream about it daily. I cannot wait to have the time to do what I have never had time too like really clean my cars and garage, take things apart around the house and never really finish "fixing" them... Travel in a van.. I don't want much from retirement other than my time.

Save at least $2 million, maybe a bit less if you live away from a coast.

For the vast majority of people this number is utterly and absolutely impossible. We've lived conservatively and saved and are nowhere close to $1M.

I left the workforce last August, somewhat unplanned. The situation at work became unbearable and while my goal was to somehow get to 65 but it just couldn't happen. Sucks to end your working life that way. I'd like to still be working at something but the current situation prevents it. Wife is working from home and a year away from retiring so I keep busy at odds & ends, stay out of her way, ride my mountain bike a lot (lost some weight and am back in decent fitness).

Have something to do besides tinkering around the house or you'll be bored. We're going to do some traveling around the US in a year.

I retire at 52 after some health issues and the B.S bucket been full. I did enjoy the work but, but the new corporate culture was not for me.

I do have some plans for later on, I just hope that my health issues stay under control.

Back