Retirement

So many don’t and won’t have those options. About 3 years back, they opened the option for us to split those … pension would ensure you meet monthly bills - and still have a lump sum for growth - plus the kids if managed …
Don't want to sway off topic too much. Can't a lump sum be rolled over into a managed retirement account (Schwab, Fidelity, VanGard,etc.) and split between a guaranteed annuity and an equity chunk for growth?

I have a couple of additions but I'm going to paraphrase the ideas here vs multiple quotes and cluttering up the thread any more than I already am ;)

The comment about leaving the job behind completely when you retire is another reason I passed on leaving when they wanted to push us old geezers out. The main reason was that I couldn't swing the insurance, but the management in my area suggested that I might want to come back as a contractor. Despite the advantages of getting better pay and not having to deal with the corporate politics as a temp, I kept asking myself why leave if all I do is to come back?

The other thing that's currently keeping me at my job is that I still have a real pension. If the brain-trust in upper management ever decides to freeze that, my decision to stay will likely change.

Only 44 and hadn't planned on retiring when I was younger. Finally woke up to the notion that I wasn't going to work forever. Been playing catch up on my 401k ever since. Finally hit the savings level that I should have been using all along, but need to plug and chug for another 20 at least, if not longer--hard to say, who can predict the future?

Trying to figure out how I could retire at 60, with some minimum level saved, that way if things go sideways I'd at least be covered. Then work longer so as to be that much more comfortable when I retire later than that. Full SS is like at 67, I think if I haven't quit by then, there might be something wrong with me.

I'll be 65 this week, I don't want to retire because I enjoy my job. I'll keep working until I don't want to do it anymore.

I may wake up some day and decide I'm done working, until then I'll keep putting money in the bank.

I retired January 7, I'm 62.5. I just got so finally sick of working for the man and oddly learning (software mainly) tools that were absolutely worse than the previous tools being rammed down our throats. I justified the last little while purely by money earned and saving $60,000+ per year. I reached the breaking (tipping?) point, I guess you could say.

I still run my businesses and actually have time to do so. Retirement is everything promised plus some, because it is what you make it. There is no need to plan every day, but depending on your personality you may need some structure. Could be budgetary could be motivational, could be time management. Whatever it is, it should not involve just sitting there watching TV or the internet (as I ironically type this).

Save at least $2 million, maybe a bit less if you live away from a coast. Make a budget. I don't care if you never did before, while you were working. Just make a simple spending outgo list, and an income list. I personally don't think it's something needing daily or even weekly updating but just tabbing your outgo can be very helpful. Say you allow $100 per month for meals out, but you use $50, and you have $200 going to saving for a trip, I allocate the extra $50 to the trip savings. Just an example that helps if your income is fixed. That said until we are 65 our largest expense will be health insurance, and I STILL am waiting on the final package with $ amounts, but I budgeted worst case marketplace costs.

We probably will hold off on social security no need to take early. Nice to know we will have that at 66y 8mo. I have a small pension, wife also but she must wait until 65. I have my Amsoil income, can take SBP income, plus income on savings (oh yes taking money out is very mentally difficult) - will need to draw down a little to match budget outgo.

Stay healthy - exercise EVERY DAY. If you take a 30 minute+ walk, that counts. Eat OK, avoid sugar/white simple starch bombs.

Right now - or rather almost every day I have spent cleaning the absolutely nasty messy shop that I never had time to do before. It has reached the amazingly organized stage just the last few days. I rewarded myself by buying a new DeWalt shop vac ( :LOL: ) - this all in prepping to move IF we find the right place. When will move it will not be so bad. Everything in toolboxes and milk crates. Sell down any inventory.

One thing: We did NOT anticipate a real estate gold rush............we simply cannot find a decent sub $1 million dollar place on the west (wet) side of the mountains..............we are formulating a plan and there is no real rush. We just don't think of this as our retirement home. I guess the good news our house has tons of (almost all) equity and it's tripled in value and will sell in minutes with offers over asking.

I will close with this: I had plenty of time to post this, but need to get off my ass and go sit down and fill some paperwork out :ROFLMAO::giggle:🤭🈴

EDIT: PS I absolutely look at retirement as starting fresh, the 3rd leg of my life.
Everybody is different that’s for sure. I’m 69, been comfortably retired for 3 years. I don’t have 2 million dollars.

I did six years ago (early buyout) and will eventually work part time doing what I enjoy sometime. Retirement is not what is hyped up to be. I was very busy the first few years but this covid stuff is driving me nuts.
I would be traveling around the country,,but not now

I finally reached it, just three months away. I gave my workplace notice.

I too have lost my perfectionism with cars. If bored I may rekindle that thought. But six years ago I discovered a new hobby... restoring old tube radios. I have many in the queue awaiting restoration. My big home with 2 acres will keep me busy as well.

They froze our pensions four years ago. I'll have a choice of a monthly pension or a lump sum. They crunched the numbers and the lump sum equals 16 years of payout. The con is I may outlive the 16 years. The pro is I may grow the lump sum.
I do some genealogy work stuff,,men avg out to 72 , but 85-88 is about when we men are gone....

Retired at 58 after being offered a Golden handshake. Best thing ever not having to get up at 5 AM and go to Gym and work. I have never been happier. Now 67 and great health for most part.
I resemble that remark,,I ride my bike and so on,,,but I keep waking up at 5 for some reason,,its ok,,coffee is nice and no hurry to be anywhere,,i am spoiled lol

Luckily I can retire tomorrow and I’m in my early 50’s thanks to good planning, investments / pension , 401K and IRA.
I also have an LLC as a side business for additional income.

When I retire I won’t think much of my 30+ year career at the same employer.

I agree to stay active and walk the dog 4 times a week to get some sun and exercise.

Last edited:
For the vast majority of people this number is utterly and absolutely impossible. We've lived conservatively and saved and are nowhere close to $1M.

I left the workforce last August, somewhat unplanned. The situation at work became unbearable and while my goal was to somehow get to 65 but it just couldn't happen. Sucks to end your working life that way. I'd like to still be working at something but the current situation prevents it. Wife is working from home and a year away from retiring so I keep busy at odds & ends, stay out of her way, ride my mountain bike a lot (lost some weight and am back in decent fitness).

Have something to do besides tinkering around the house or you'll be bored. We're going to do some traveling around the US in a year.
I have to agree. Two million dollars is a absurd amount that the vast majority will never come close to. Why not save 4 million and double your chances of success? I’ve been out for three years and between Social, defined pensions, and some investments I’m ok. If I had to wait until I accumulated 2 million dollars I would have never retired. It’s not as complicated as most people would have you think it is.

Back