Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimsby is also nice because you have all the major services you want in Hamilton like Health Card, Drivers License, Government offices etc.

Grimsby might just be ideal for us because my wife's parents live in Burlington and my dad lives in Mississauga so this way we wouldn't be too far from them as they get older and need our help.

Originally Posted by 4WD
We have room … and still like Buick … especially that color …

Thanks, and thanks to all who contributed, lot of thinking to do, have to expand my horizon on locations.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I can tell you Silicon Valley is not for everyone. I can also tell you it saved my life. I spent the 1st 33 years of my life drinking myself into oblivion. I joined AA after my 3rd drunk driving. Because of the colleges and Silicon Valley opportunity, I now have 3 degrees and, let's just say, things are really good. I am lucky enough to gift considerable $$ to family and those in need. I get to help young people through college that otherwise would struggle. I do not know where this could have happened besides here after all the mistakes I have made. This is my story. I love it here.

It's nice to hear a personal success story, well done sir. My company recently hired a working class guy who's entire family moved here from Cali over the past couple of years because they just couldn't survive there anymore.

Originally Posted by Patman
My wife and I have decided on Marco Island Florida as the place we want to spend our winters when we retire. The rest of the year we'll stay up here in Canada, but we'll move closer to the border in the Niagara region not far from the falls. (hopefully a place on or very close to a beach on Lake Erie) ................. and it's not overcrowded there, it's an undiscovered gem. We've been there many times and Marco Island beach is a ghost town compared to other Florida beaches that are packed with tourists. If I was a US citizen I'd choose to live there all year round.

You let the cat out of the bag, Patman. I just saw 10 bus loads of Yoopers heading south with banners stating "Marco Island or Bust". The last bus is loaded with pasties* , snowmobiles, and tar paper. Snowmobiles are the favorite front lawn ornament in the Upper Peninsula and tar paper is the favorite house siding.

* Pasties are a crusted meat pie brought to the Upper Peninsula by Finnish immigrants.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

[/quote]

Thank you.

I like Idaho's laws. The wife and I have occasionally talked about finding us a small house up in the rocky mountains. Unfortunately, my wife hates cold weather. I don't mind it, but I'm a avid racer, and the list of racetracks in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming is a bit slim.

Either way, we have grandparents nearby down here that are still alive and kinda dependent on us. We're definitely staying around here at least until they kick the bucket.[/quote]

That is right where I live, 5 miles from the Montana state line, 50 miles from Canada, protected by the end of 3 or 4 mountain ranges that finger off of the Rocky mountains. The National Forest is all around me. Its an incredible place to live! Its really not that cold on this side of the Rockies!

I'm a retired motorcycle racer myself, there are no tracks here, but there is a lot of killer dirt bike single track trails in the mountains just for bikes.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
[/quote]

Thank you.

I like Idaho's laws. The wife and I have occasionally talked about finding us a small house up in the rocky mountains. Unfortunately, my wife hates cold weather. I don't mind it, but I'm a avid racer, and the list of racetracks in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming is a bit slim.

Either way, we have grandparents nearby down here that are still alive and kinda dependent on us. We're definitely staying around here at least until they kick the bucket.

Really to a large degree don't I understand this opinion. If one is retired-you don't have to scrape snow or ice off your car to go to the work in the morning. It's snowy-stay inside-too cold stay inside. I lived in So. Cal all my life-prior to retiring to Utah. Another thing I have learned-if the sun is out anything in the 30's isn't too cold. If the sun isn't out- that's cold.

My son (who still lives in So. Cal) is an avid off-road motorcycle guy. They just finished several hundred miles through Utah's unpaved back roads/trails- he said it was some of the most beautiful country he has ever seen. And he has seen alot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Thank you.

Either way, we have grandparents nearby down here that are still alive and kinda dependent on us. We're definitely staying around here at least until they kick the bucket.

===============================================================

Really to a large degree don't I understand this opinion. If one is retired-you don't have to scrape snow or ice off your car to go to the work in the morning. It's snowy-stay inside-too cold stay inside. I lived in So. Cal all my life-prior to retiring to Utah. Another thing I have learned-if the sun is out anything in the 30's isn't too cold. If the sun isn't out- that's cold.

My son (who still lives in So. Cal) is an avid off-road motorcycle guy. They just finished several hundred miles through Utah's unpaved back roads/trails- he said it was some of the most beautiful country he has ever seen. And he has seen alot.
[/quote]

=============================================================

The quotes are messed up, the quote above is RDY4WAR. I'm not the one complaining about the cold, I kinda like it!

I do have things to do, I own a 6 plex, I help take care of my elderly mother that has dementia, I'm married! I have stage 3B cancer. Kemo every 2 weeks. I have 100 yards of driveway! I do leave the house rain, snow or sun shine. Not uncommon to have 2 feet snowfall in 24 hours. I'm born n raised in SoCal and it does not bother me one bit! A person can and will adapt to his environment if he has the will to do so. Its really not bad at all. I choose to live exactly where I live! And I'm HAPPY!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
When I'm retired there is zero possibility I'll be shoveling snow just to back out of my driveway to go grocery shopping.

You plan ahead-so you don't have to do that. Sorry Mr. Nice-I will take Utah's (not quite) 3 million population to Florida's almost 21 million. I have been to Miami-nice place-way too crowded. I have been to Orlando-again-it is what it is with all the tourist destinations. I have been to Fort Meyers, Destin Beach, Flager Beach, Fort Lauderale etc., Florida is a lot like So. Cal-excerpt the humidity factor. Of all the really nice places to live in Florida-most are unaffordable unless one got in real early-especially some of the nice beach areas I mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
When I'm retired there is zero possibility I'll be shoveling snow just to back out of my driveway to go grocery shopping.

You plan ahead-so you don't have to do that. Sorry Mr. Nice-I will take Utah's (not quite) 3 million population to Florida's almost 21 million. I have been to Miami-nice place-way too crowded. I have been to Orlando-again-it is what it is with all the tourist destinations. I have been to Fort Meyers, Destin Beach, Flager Beach, Fort Lauderale etc., Florida is a lot like So. Cal-excerpt the humidity factor. Of all the really nice places to live in Florida-most are unaffordable unless one got in real early-especially some of the nice beach areas I mentioned.

Utah would be a very nice place for those that don't like, or can't handle much snow, but you must like the desert also. There are areas of real mountains on the north east edge of the state though.

Montana or Utah would be the only other states I would consider living in. As for snow...Why does everyone think about a shovel first? They make these things that have the name Honda on the side of them, they have track drive like a tank! They throw snow like a fire engine's hose blasts water! You might finish up a little with a shovel. Peace and solitude, not sure why anyone is afraid of a little snow, except maybe Floridian's! 50 degree's is cold to them!

The State of Idaho has 4 electoral votes, you do the math...I think Rhode Island has 4. Idaho's population is 1.75 million

Last edited:
There's 579k people in the entire state of Wyoming. We have 521k people in just my city of Augusta, Ga and surrounding suburbs.

I would love to move to a nice log rancher somewhere in rural Wyoming with a good bit of land. I could have open land to shoot my rifles, my wife and daughter could have their horses, and never have to worry about traffic. We homeschool so we aren't worried about finding good school districts. I'm a 100% disabled veteran so the job market isn't a concern. Being on a fixed income, the cheaper we can live, the better off we are. I'm going to start pressuring the wife a little more.

Originally Posted by CKN

Utah would be a very nice place for those that don't like, or can't handle much snow, but you must like the desert also. There are areas of real mountains on the north east edge of the state though.

Montana or Utah would be the only other states I would consider living in. As for snow...Why does everyone think about a shovel first? They make these things that have the name Honda on the side of them, they have track drive like a tank! They throw snow like a fire engine's hose blasts water! You might finish up a little with a shovel. Peace and solitude, not sure why anyone is afraid of a little snow, except maybe Floridian's! 50 degree's is cold to them!

The State of Idaho has 4 electoral votes, you do the math...I think Rhode Island has 4. Idaho's population is 1.75 million

That's the thing-the mountains get most of the snow in the winter-the valley gets much less. Also-there are major population growth forecasts out there for the next twenty years. The word is out.......

Last edited:
RDY4WAR; Talk to some people that live there, the wind does not stop blowing, and its colder than a Witches teet… anywhere east side of the Rockies, thru the Great planes is nasty cold! And wind chill is brutal!

I would Never live on the east side of the Rockies! Never...

On the plus side, wind mills are very productive!

CKN, All those people leaving California gotta go somewhere! Some go to AZ,NM,NV, then some go up to OR,WA,ID, Few have what it takes to make it in Montana! That leaves Utah, the sweet spot for the smart and wise that fit right in the middle! Also close enough to go back and visit family and friends if they wish. When I left California, 2010, I heard a figure of 10k Californian's per month leaving. Not sure how many are coming in taking their place...I don't miss it one bit!

In California, with Proposition 13 limiting the previously unrestricted abilities of greedy local and state governments to massively increase property taxes, they have raised permitting and "impact" fees to build new housing to the point that it is not financially viable in many locations. Specifically, I was told by a local civil engineer that it would cost me six figures for a house on property I own in Eldorado County before I started pouring the slab.
To keep this non-political, I won't play the blame game on the impact of rent control on the building of multi-family units, but if you make it financially not viable for developers to build, they don't build. Impact fees, rent control, high labor costs, much higher property taxes on new construction, you see where I am going. They aren't addressing the true problems, and it is going to get much worse. And it is spreading beyond California as these people move out.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
In California, with Proposition 13 limiting the previously unrestricted abilities of greedy local and state governments to massively increase property taxes, they have raised permitting and "impact" fees to build new housing to the point that it is not financially viable in many locations. Specifically, I was told by a local civil engineer that it would cost me six figures for a house on property I own in Eldorado County before I started pouring the slab.
To keep this non-political, I won't play the blame game on the impact of rent control on the building of multi-family units, but if you make it financially not viable for developers to build, they don't build. Impact fees, rent control, high labor costs, much higher property taxes on new construction, you see where I am going. They aren't addressing the true problems, and it is going to get much worse. And it is spreading beyond California as these people move out.

Most of us in the younger generation who are homeowners aren't under prop 13 protection. There is no way to weather these huge swings in assessed values so we have to pony up the cash. My home's assessed value went up by almost 40% one year, I think it was 2012. Prop 13 is unfair and makes us subsidize the property taxes of others (like you) who were old enough to buy a house while under the protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back