Rerefined Motor Oils - Why Don't We See More of It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I dumped my used oil at the local kragen I noticed that valvoline supplied the dump tank So what are they doing with all that used oil? I am sure that a portion of your oil you are buying as new has been rerefined.

Long ago I worked in an oil refinery. Crude oil as it came off the ship was pretty smelly stuff in most cases.

In the refinery we had a tank where all kinds of hydrocarbon crap was sent, and we ran it back through the still along with fresh crude oil. In a few rare cases, if appropriate, the product was blended in with something compatable, such as heavy fuel oil or asphalt.

I think the problem with re-refined oil is one of perception and price. Why buy "re-refined" oil if "virgin" oil is available at the same price? Much of the market for re-refined oil is with government agencies under a politically correct mandate to do something positive for the environment.

Certainly waste oil should be collected and put back in the refinery somewhere. But I think it makes not much difference, from an economic and environmental aspect, as to whether the waste oil goes back into the still along with crude oil, or is processed separately into "re-refined" motor oil.

One problem is that people who drop off oil may have mixed in other, non-compatable materials, such as ethylene glycol, that have to be separated out if the oil is to be processed directly into "re-refined" lubricants.

I would only consider re-refined oil if it came from a source I really trusted.

Ive seen alot of used oil being burned in garages for heat in winter with PCA approved burners. Ive also seen the used oil mixed into the process of making Tar for roads called 'cold mix' for patching pot holes or temporary tar roads during construction etc.
Its being used, recycled if you want to use the word, most just dont see it being used.

I know of at least one local garage that burns it, keeps heating bills down when you are constantly opening the garage doors.
I have a half constructed burner in my garage, built from plans I found online, hopefully I get back to that before winter hits again.

As some have alluded to previously, I was always under the impression that the collected used oil just gets dumped back into the refining process at some point in the process along with the crude. It's probably in all dino oil (and maybe some Group III 'synth'). The people buying it without even knowing it. And also, it probably wouldn't matter. By rerefining it, it is rendered back to it's 'virgin' state anyway.

In the 1960's there was a premium re-refined oil called "McMillan Ring-Free" made in Long Beach, California. It was NOT marketed as a cheaper or environmentally friendly product. It was marketed by sponsoring motor racing teams. That is how you sell to the automotive consumer. The fact that it was not made of virgin base stocks was hidden in the "fine print" on the can.

Redline Royal Purple, Lucas and other small "specialty" oil companies rely on race sponsorship, as marketing on TV is too expensive for all but the giant oil companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back