"Repowering" cordless power tools originally sold with Ni-Cad batteries..

I have a set of Porter Cable 18 volt cordless tools (drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, flashlight) that originally came with Ni-Cad batteries, that are around 8 years old. 4 years ago, I purchased a pair of Ni-Mh batteries to keep them going.

Time has passed and I am again in need of new batteries. I see that Lithium-Ion batteries are now available for these tools as well. However, it appears that I would have to buy a new charger as well, to move over to Lithium-Ion batteries.

Is it worth the additional investment to buy a new charger to take advantage of the Lithium-Ion batteries, or should I just stick with another pair of Ni-Mh batteries and just keep going? The tools are still in good, usable condition, and meet my needs. I really don't have any need or desire to replace these tools at this point, only because they need batteries.

Here's the cost breakdown. 2 new (generic) 3000 mAh Ni-Mh batteries would be $36. 2 new (generic) 3000 mAh Lithium Ion batteries would be $44, plus $26 for a new charger ($70 total). So for $70, I could repower these tools up to today's battery standard.

Sounds like a no brainer since the "family" is complete and meets your needs. The only thing might be if and when you wish to grow the family PC may not be able to fill the need.

I would go ahead an do it. Sounds pretty cheap.

I have had issues with some generic LI batteries. But never with OEM. However OEM and 2x or 3x more expensive.

Some of the LI cordless tools are brushless and that provides more power. You are stuck with what you have.

II would buy new tools with a battery system like the Milwaukee M18.

I have a set of Porter Cable 18 volt cordless tools (drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, flashlight) that originally came with Ni-Cad batteries, that are around 8 years old. 4 years ago, I purchased a pair of Ni-Mh batteries to keep them going.

Time has passed and I am again in need of new batteries. I see that Lithium-Ion batteries are now available for these tools as well. However, it appears that I would have to buy a new charger as well, to move over to Lithium-Ion batteries.

Is it worth the additional investment to buy a new charger to take advantage of the Lithium-Ion batteries, or should I just stick with another pair of Ni-Mh batteries and just keep going? The tools are still in good, usable condition, and meet my needs. I really don't have any need or desire to replace these tools at this point, only because they need batteries.

Here's the cost breakdown. 2 new (generic) 3000 mAh Ni-Mh batteries would be $36. 2 new (generic) 3000 mAh Lithium Ion batteries would be $44, plus $26 for a new charger ($70 total). So for $70, I could repower these tools up to today's battery standard.
Also check the "Specials" where they sell a tool & the new charger as a Pkg, often this is of a much better value.

I did it 6 or 7 years ago with my Craftsman 19.2V stuff. They started making Llithium replacements and they made the tools so much better and they last a lot longer and don't discharge from sitting unused.

Look around for a similar product to add that takes the same batteries. I did that with a Black & Decker hedge trimmer. It's single Li battery was losing power, and they wanted something like $65.00 for a replacement. I went to WalMart, found a B&D drill with TWO batteries that fit the trimmer and a charger for $49.00! They even threw in a free carrying bag for the drill.

Another option may be to just rebuild the battery packs. I have an older cordless hand vacuum and the Ni-MH batteries started to give up. Opening it up it had about 15 small batteries all joined together with tabs. I was able to get replacements for around $1.15 each and just rebuilt the battery. Works great again and it was cheaper than buying a replacement vacuum. Not sure if these battery packs can come apart but if you don't mind a little work it may be worth it cost wise.

I never had a positive experience with generic replacement batteries. My last attempt was an 18V Dewalt replacement. Fully charged, brand new NiCd replacement was less powerful and died faster than the old batteries it was replacing. New branded batteries ($89) cost almost as much as a new tool/battery/charger kit (on sale for $99). For me, the decision was a no brainer.

I never had a positive experience with generic replacement batteries. My last attempt was an 18V Dewalt replacement. Fully charged, brand new NiCd replacement was less powerful and died faster than the old batteries it was replacing. New branded batteries ($89) cost almost as much as a new tool/battery/charger kit (on sale for $99). For me, the decision was a no brainer.
It's all over the map, really on generics. You are correct, generally worse! At the whim of shady, shifty, shafty sellers - ebay, Amazon, WWW

For one, ALL the 20VMax (LiFepo) generics have tried are garbage. Leaky, dangerous, useless, not even 1/4 rating. I buy only factory now. And even then I fear fakes.

The couple knock-off M12 small form factor (1.5-3.0Ah range) I bought actually work fine, will see how they last. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOXZHMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $ per Ah good. But the larger 4.0-6.0 form factor, factory only. And even then I fear fakes.

I bought one Makita 9.6V NiCd knock off (see above post) that was pretty lousy. Memory was even worse that "normal: NiCd and then just croaked. Two I have now are fine. The 7.2V (ha!) that I soldered in my other drill/driver is way better than the original.

Lastly I bought exactly one generic for my 80V Greenworks, mainly on price (the high Ah are $$$!) The battery is no way the rated Ah, but it was inexpensive and it works. I guess the $ per Ah was reasonable.
Stock big boy: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID88GDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NIMH was just a bad idea for power tools unless you use them all day every day but NICad is mostly gone now due to the toxicity of them. For the cost go to li ion if you like the tools.

I don't use my battery-powered tools a ton, so I did what everyone here will consider janky.

Gutted the NiMH cells, bolted 5 18650 holders to the bottom of the pack, and use 5 high-quality 18650's for the tool. They are 18V tools, so the little bit of extra voltage when freshly charged won't hurt them one bit. And with good quality batteries, they probably perform better than they did with the NiMH cells. The holders and internal wiring is all 12 AWG which is plenty for the current draw.

The advantage is, I use the 18650's I already have and don't need to come up with a charging method as they all charge separately in my house charger.
batts.jpg

It's only janky if it doesn't work.

Charging those batteries safely might be a little iffy if it doesn't have a bms, though
I take them out and put them in a house charger. Avoids the whole issue, which is a lot of the reason I went with making them removable.

That and I can just swap them out for fresh if need be.

I still use my PC tools when needed. I have the charger that will charge both types of batteries and have had good luck with the generics. I say if the PC tools are meeting your needs then do the battery upgrade and include one 4-amp Li to let that saw cut longer.

I Have a 14V Dewalt circular saw and drill kit. Batteries were bad and had very short use time when charged. Ordered replacements from Ebay and these are lithium. Tools work great now. Have used them to build a deck and they run all day now without a recharge..

Back