Reported a bad driver to the regional Police

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Are you the same guy that drives slow in the left lane to "police" speeders and create road rage conditions?

It's not your job nor is it safe to play citizen cop - leave it be.

Says the speeder...

What's so hard about following a set series of rules to prevents deaths and accidents?

They do it quite well in other countries and have lower traffic deaths. The US just has a bad set of clueless drivers.

People jam on the brakes because of the left lane hog and the guys following the speeders don't see it and you end up with collisions. The basic rule of the road is to keep right unless passing. To keep left and do the speed limit just causes accidents and road rage. Why contribute to the problem?

Every 2nd or 3rd driver by me will do 50 in a 30 if the traffic allows it. Doing 30 or 35 in a 30 will get you tailgated and folks trying to pass you on the shoulder if possible.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Are you the same guy that drives slow in the left lane to "police" speeders and create road rage conditions?

Says the speeder...

What's so hard about following a set series of rules to prevents deaths and accidents?

They do it quite well in other countries and have lower traffic deaths. The US just has a bad set of clueless drivers.

People jam on the brakes because of the left lane hog and the guys following the speeders don't see it and you end up with collisions. The basic rule of the road is to keep right unless passing. To keep left and do the speed limit just causes accidents and road rage. Why contribute to the problem?

Going down that rabbit hole with him isn't worth it. Been there done that.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Says the speeder...

I know, but I like to try different tactics once in a while. Drove in Germany on the Autobahn. I think I managed 130mph at one point, 2 liter engine in the rental wasn't good for much more. Around 90+ most of the time. People in the left lane just get out of your way, you don't even really have to slow down. Very smooth and very fast.

The way it should be.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Says the speeder...

So what rules are we talking about, staying right except to pass, or obeying speed limits. I just don't care for hypocrites...

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Says the speeder...

Because I exposed your hypocrisy?

Says the speeder...

So what rules are we talking about, staying right except to pass, or obeying speed limits. I just don't care for hypocrites...

Basic rule of the road is to stay right unless passing. The speeders are for the police to catch, not for citizens to left lane hog. That's vigilantism which is never supported by anyone.

If someone comes flying up on me doing 80-100 or more, I signal and move over, like a normal, responsible driver. It's much safer to just move over than to have the speeder cut over 3 lanes maneuver past a few people and then cut back over 3 lanes again to get in front of you. Safer for everyone involved.

Basic rule of the road is to stay right unless passing. The speeders are for the police to catch, not for citizens to left lane hog. That's vigilantism which is never supported by anyone.

If someone comes flying up on me doing 80-100 or more, I signal and move over, like a normal, responsible driver. It's much safer to just move over than to have the speeder cut over 3 lanes maneuver past a few people and then cut back over 3 lanes again to get in front of you. Safer for everyone involved.

All driving law violators are for the police to catch. That includes left lane campers, speeders, tailgaters, etc. I don't park in the left lane to block speeders. I also don't take down plate numbers of speeders to turn them in. I am not a road vigilante. If people want to drive like idiots, that's none of my business. If someone is blocking the left lane and I want to go faster, I pass them on the right. What bothers me is when people pick and choose which laws they want followed. If you can't see the hypocrisy of people who want the stay right except to pass law strictly followed, but are okay with speeders, then I don't know what else to say....

Originally Posted by JC1
I was heading home from my MIL house this afternoon. My 17 year old son was driving back home when all of a sudden some idiot in a Mazda three passed us doing approx 50 mph. Local road is 30mph and lower if it's near the park. The guy used no blinkers and this is a single lane on a busier north-south street. He went and did the same move 200 ft ahead of us. I told my son to speed up so I could get a pic of his license plate.

I have a dash cam, so it caught the whole thing. My son being the teenager hung his head out the window to comment. I told my son to follow the guy. The reason I do it, is that people who live on side streets are the main culprits for speeding and I wanted to see where this bozo lived. There are lots of people and kids that walk and use their bikes on these main roads and there is no excuse to drive over 40 MPH to get anywhere in these neighbourhoods.

After a few blocks he went back south. He realized that we were following him. He decides to stop roll down his window and says you shouldn't be following people to their houses. I said well you aren't driving properly and you are going to get reported. He says call the cops. I said yes I will. We left the scene first.

Went to visit the police website. They have an online reporting system and said if the driver gets two reports, then they will contact them. I typed up the report and submitted it. Glad to do that. I hope he learns to slow down or gets reported soon.

Wow. Just wow. So many weird things here. I'm not going to get into this before the lock.

All driving law violators are for the police to catch. That includes left lane campers, speeders, tailgaters, etc. I don't park in the left lane to block speeders. I also don't take down plate numbers of speeders to turn them in. I am not a road vigilante. If people want to drive like idiots, that's none of my business. If someone is blocking the left lane and I want to go faster, I pass them on the right. What bothers me is when people pick and choose which laws they want followed. If you can't see the hypocrisy of people who want the stay right except to pass law strictly followed, but are okay with speeders, then I don't know what else to say....

You're focusing too much on the "hypocrisy". It's not an all or nothing approach. Yes, the speed limits are too low. The recommendation is to set them at 85% of what people drive it. They don't really follow that. The highways were designed with a speed limit of 70 in mind.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I was almost killed a couple years ago when attempting a pass maneuver on a highway flyover in a
"Passing allowed" zone ( broken yellow, my side)

Dope in oncoming traffic had NO headlights or DRL ON in predawn AM with light fog.

I saw him when he was maybe 200 feet in front of me. I'm doing about 85mph in a 50.

Luckily there is a huge breakdown lane, and he/she did the "chicken out" move and drove into the breakdown lane.

I had no time to react. Closing speed over 130 MPH.

They stopped; but I kept going on to work. Important Manufacturing report meeting on Monday AM..

Probably needed an underwear change. I don't understand people who drive around without headlights on when it's clearly a good idea to do so.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I was almost killed a couple years ago when attempting a pass maneuver on a highway flyover in a

Dope in oncoming traffic had NO headlights or DRL ON in predawn AM with light fog.

I saw him when he was maybe 200 feet in front of me. I'm doing about 85mph in a 50.

Luckily there is a huge breakdown lane, and he/she did the "chicken out" move and drove into the breakdown lane.

They stopped; but I kept going on to work. Important Manufacturing report meeting on Monday AM..

Probably needed an underwear change. I don't understand people who drive around without headlights on when it's clearly a good idea to do so.

People are extra clueless these days. I see inside their dash is lit up so they probably don't know their headlights are off. At least in the old days, a dark dash meant the lights were off. When I'm on the street I typically shout headlights or I try pointing and opening up the fingers in both hands and I think most of the time they get it. Happens a couple times every day at night.

People are extra clueless these days. I see inside their dash is lit up so they probably don't know their headlights are off. At least in the old days, a dark dash meant the lights were off. When I'm on the street I typically shout headlights or I try pointing and opening up the fingers in both hands and I think most of the time they get it. Happens a couple times every day at night.

Yeah, that's a downside to the modern backlit dashboards, and I know I got bit by it once (to be fair, it wasn't my daily driver, and I was in relatively heavy traffic when it became dusk). But it sure is annoying!

But headlight usage is a rant deserving of its own thread (of which we've had), so no need to derail this one...

Originally Posted by supton
so no need to derail this one...

By the third page it hit the inevitable "too slow in the left lane" which I see as the Godwins Law of threads about traffic.

You're focusing too much on the "hypocrisy". It's not an all or nothing approach. Yes, the speed limits are too low. The recommendation is to set them at 85% of what people drive it. They don't really follow that. The highways were designed with a speed limit of 70 in mind.

It doesn't matter if you think the speed limits are too low. They are what they are. Speeding is breaking the law...I know most drivers today do it. I do it, but I'm not going to complain about left lane campers, while at the same time condoning speeding, which is what you, and others in this forum do...

All modern vehicles should come with a light sensor on the dash so the headlights come on automatically. This is one area where big brother needs to step in...

Seriously, a guy late for a business meeting going 85 mph through fog almost died.

Allow me to shed zero tears.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter if you think the speed limits are too low. They are what they are. Speeding is breaking the law...I know most drivers today do it. I do it, but I'm not going to complain about left lane campers, while at the same time condoning speeding, which is what you, and others in this forum do...

The way the laws are written here, you are also allowed to keep up with the "reasonable and prudent" flow of traffic On the highway, regardless of the speed limit. But you are clearly incapable of wrapping your dense mind around that.

I think you are the fool here. You called ME out for my comment (called me the "speeder") in which I didn't say anything about speeding - I simply asked if they were the SLOW person in the left lane. Now that others have joined the conversation in support of proper driving - staying to the right etc - you come back with a reversal. Can't have it both ways. For the record, I follow proper lane discipline....I don't care how fast another driver is going - I move over. The left lane hogs cause the most problems by forcing people to take careless actions to get around them.

Last edited:
I get a bit wound up seeing knucklehead drivers, major speeders and weaving but really, I don't see a way to get LEO involved.
Still, I have called in plates and last-know-direction etc... a few times through the years. I feel obligated in the more dangerous appearing incidents and just hope I don't read about bad news in the paper the next day. If the case, I guess I'd feel better about following through.
As someone else mentioned, I'd call in a suspect DUI or abusing fighting issue but to track them or follow, NO- not with anyone else in my car and certainly not to let them ID me or my car very easily. I don't want to bring trouble back to my house.
I agree with the idea many of these hot-heads are dangerous if barley in control of their emotions or mental status. It's very likely that's what we see or notice as they are acting out on the roads or taking it out on their car. Some of these folks come from an entire family that's more than a nuisance. Keep a safe distance. To expect they may be armed or use their car as a weapon is a reasonable way to consider if or how to get involved I M O.

Last edited:
Back