Repo gone wrong.

Customer calls this morning......I've known the guy for several years & he's usually cool as a cucumber, But was really shaken' up over this incident!

He was repoing a 2018 Ford F350 with his 2012 Dodge 3500 equipped with a Jerr Dan wheel lift. The Ford was parked about 300 feet from the road behind a house. Had to access the truck from an adjacent empty lot because the deadbeat was blocking the driveway with other vehicles.
He gets it lifted & proceeds to tear across the empty lot spinning the rear tires the whole way on the wet grass, As soon as he hit dry pavement.....BOOM.....Pinion yoke beaks & drops the rear driveshaft.
Now, He's stuck about 1000 feet from a house he just repoed a truck from with absolutely no way to move his rig. Luckily he was able to get another wheel lift wrecker to come get him away from the area without people waking up.

Having a new driveshaft made now....But got the yoke swapped out today. Took out both shafts, Carrier bearing, Carrier bearing bracket, Collapsed the exhaust, Put a huge hole in the left rear seat floor pan, And managed to loosen the output yoke on the Aisin AS68RC in which the nut was still staked in place to the output shaft.
I removed the Output yoke & didn't find anything wrong.....So the threads on the nut must have gave a bit! Installed a new nut & staked it.

Pinion yoke.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now that's quite the story! I hate deadbeats, repomen and banks that extend credit at ridiculous terms to people that shouldn't have any credit...so everyone except you lost on this deal and I call that a win.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Now that's quite the story! I hate deadbeats, repomen and banks that extend credit at ridiculous terms to people that shouldn't have any credit...so everyone except you lost on this deal and I call that a win.

Honestly, blocking it in because they know it's gonna be repoed isn't cool, but I disagree that people shouldn't be offered credit. I have lousy credit but I haven't missed a single payment on my 2010 Escape.

Originally Posted by dogememe
that could have ended up very dangerous... dodge quality strikes again lol.

GM uses the same 11.5" AAM differential that Dodge does. They're not known for this failure. Coming on to dry pavement with that much weight & spinning the wheels can just as easily break a u-joint!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Too much throttle and not enough brains.

so you'd rather get stuck? rwd dually trucks aren't known for great traction

Originally Posted by clinebarger

GM uses the same 11.5" AAM differential that Dodge does. They're not known for this failure. Coming on to dry pavement with that much weight & spinning the wheels can just as easily break a u-joint!

Interesting, didn't know that. What does Ford use out of curiosity?

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Interesting, didn't know that. What does Ford use out of curiosity?

For DRW, 99-16 used the Sterling 10.5" or Dana 80 IIRC, 17-up use the Dana M300.

Deadbeat didn't get too many payments in on the '18 F350 before going [censored] up.

Nice the repo man gas a solid technician to call on at times such as these!

Originally Posted by splinter
Deadbeat didn't get too many payments in on the '18 F350 before going [censored] up.

Car repos are way waaaaay up and show no signs of slowing down. I think car loans are the next "bubble" that will burst.
Not only that you look at most new car dealers and the lots are packed full of new cars, so it is clear that the stores are desperate to sell to anyone most of those now who are buying have no business doing so, heck they probably can't afford a used bicycle.
crackmeup2.gif

Extreme shock load would destroy any brand in the same scenario...

I do not understand why people buy cars knowing they can not afford it. With a truck like this it was probably used for work and maybe that type of work was failing or whatever the case may be. I feel worse for people that are in that situation but then again buy a good used truck for a cheaper price until the business is doing better.

But people that just out right buy a vehicle they know they can not afford drives me crazy.

Originally Posted by mcrn
I do not understand why people buy cars knowing they can not afford it. With a truck like this it was probably used for work and maybe that type of work was failing or whatever the case may be. I feel worse for people that are in that situation but then again buy a good used truck for a cheaper price until the business is doing better.

But people that just out right buy a vehicle they know they can not afford drives me crazy.

I hear ya! I sold cars to a lot of people with lousy credit. The vast majority don't care their credit is bad, and have no intentions of paying for the car. I recall one customer's girl friend telling him he couldn't afford the payments. His reply was let them come and take it, if they can find it. There are some people who fell on bad times and are trying to straighten things out, but they were the exception, not the norm.

Originally Posted by splinter

Why not comment on the busted drivetrain instead of second guessing on the person losing the truck?? You don't know why the guy ran behind on his payments. Could have been down on his luck because of medical or recent job loss reasons. Talk about trash talkin someone when they are down.

Originally Posted by mcrn
I do not understand why people buy cars knowing they can not afford it.

The banks and credit unions allow them to do it. It is that simple.

The credit union that I belong to built and paved a new parking lot... just for repos. They have a better selection than a lot of used car dealers, and then they refuse to sell the repos to people like me.. someone who actually pays his bills. They load them onto semis and take them directly to the auction. where a dealer can buy them back... and start the cycle over again.

The repossessed motorcycles parked behind the building in early winter is laughable. Apparently, people don't want to keep something that they can't use in the winter, but have to pay for anyway.... who would have thought?

They shut my credit card off once, because they didn't like charge that I'd made to Wal-Mart. LOL. I have a WM less than a mile from my house, so I spend quite a bit of money there, quite often. Then, they pick one random charge, and shut my card off. If they'd only checked my history...

A manager from the Credit union called me on the phone over the credit card issue, and I let him know that they needed to be a little less paranoid about potential credit card fraud as a threat to the Credit Union, and instead be a little more concerned about their lending losses, and tighten up their loan lending practices a bit. Spending the money to build a new parking lot, for the sole purpose of storing all of their bad decisions, seems a bit much.

Back